Skip to content

Match day thread: Burton

Comments

• JJ has been my man of the match. He’s been solid at the back tonight.

• Delightful rendition of 12 days of Christmas with Ryan Tafazolli as the only lyric

• @Gary said:
    JJ has been my man of the match. He’s been solid at the back tonight.

I was thinking the same

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Our press has been bloody fantastic tonight. Best performance of the season in that regard apart from v Lincoln. So organised.

I say this, but we've absolutely knackered ourselves with it.

• Was looking forward to a comfortable night, but that poor goal has just left things a little edgy

• Should have been 3 (or 4 or 5). Great ball by Obita.

• Phew another 3 points and second in the league

• Comfortable enough in the end, but we overcooked the press in the first half - which was a big factor in the Ipswich loss imo.

• The amount of times we should have hammered someone at AP this season but won by one goal...you'd think we thrash someone by accident at some point, by law of averages.

• Good win, them being rollocked at half time and getting a goal soon after will have given them hope and fired them up. Second half was never going to be like the first after that but holding on is a good skill to have and very welcome points.

• That’s the difference between us and Rotherham. They score 5, we hang on.

• Good to resume league action with a win. Faultless first half, and flukey goal aside, a comfortable second. Thought Forino was excellent, Hanlan tricky to handle as always, Thompson everywhere and Mehmeti a constant outlet.

Don’t think in our wildest dreams we’d have seen Mehmeti, Forino and Pendlebury coming when the development squad was established.

• @Gordon_Ottershaw said:
    That’s the difference between us and Rotherham. They score 5, we hang on.

Also Sunderland, if we want to get auto promotion we’re going to have to take more of our chances.

• Can we talk about big controversy of the night: Forino and Oshilaja - centre-backs - wearing low socks. Dock a week's wages imo.

• Still can’t quite believe that Burton goal.

• Let’s not forget we are missing some key players. We won with a makeshift defence who were playing alongside each other competitively for the first time.

• Definitely need some shooting practice, Obita especially...

• Looked odds on to be a comfy win, but that's not our style. Fairly comfy though.
    Bayo should have scored in the 90th and would need to see their goal again to work out what happened.
    Our players seemed to react as if it had been ruled out too.

• Good win but we need to be more ruthless in front of goal. Should have won by 3 or 4 goals. Forino was excellent.

• @Gary said:
    Let’s not forget we are missing some key players. We won with a makeshift defence who were playing alongside each other competitively for the first time.

That's the key aspect that makes this a great win.
    Hopefully Taf and Stewart, or at least one are feeling a lot better by the weekend.

• Sad for Bayo that that header bounced over. I believe he was very good friends with Marvin Morgan and I imagine he was desperate to score tonight.

So very sad news about someone so young

• I honestly feel we should be +10 better off in GD at the very least. How Accrington, Charlton, Lincoln, and Burton reached a grand total of +4 is beyond me, and almost wiped out by an Ipswich game that was very evenly contested!

• With those long, gangly legs and short socks, Forino looked a little like Bambi. Every time he reached for the ball I was worried he would do the splits or a backwards somersault but he impressed me - seemed to be in the right place most of the time, was not afraid to hang up near the top to provide flick-ons, took instructions well. I'm sure we'll see a lot more of him, though would like to see him get a gym subscription (and longer socks) for Xmas.

I was impressed by Mehmeti today, he hung back more than usual and worked well as playmaker, releasing the ball quickly and accurately and seeing moves that others don't. His time out of the first team has helped him become a better, calmer player and that's to everyone's credit and everyone's benefit.

Despite this I think we did play much more assuredly when he was subbed for Wheeler. While the first half display was very impressive and Hanlan took his goal brilliantly I would still prefer to see us play with an extra midfielder and one fewer striker. That would have allowed us to keep Mehmeti on all match too.

My MotM was JJ - a very cool presence on the pitch, much needed with all the changes around him.

• I don't see how we regularly get McCleary, Mehmeti, Hanlan and Vokes into the same starting 11 and play three at the back - it's just too high-risk. Interesting to see what Gaz decides to when Scowen comes back.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @ReturnToSenda said:
    I don't see how we regularly get McCleary, Mehmeti, Hanlan and Vokes into the same starting 11 and play three at the back - it's just too high-risk. Interesting to see what Gaz decides to when Scowen comes back.

Agreed Vs the better sides in this league, but I think those 4, and even Horgan in rotation could be good enough to just dominate against weaker sides IMO

• edited December 2021

First half we were superb, probably the best we've played this season ! Second half was not good at all, how can a team come out and be totally different?!?

Surprised Anis was taken off, him and McCleary were the 2 making things happen. Thought the new lad Forino did really well, I'll be honest he didn't fill me with confidence, and looked like he was playing on ice at times, but didn't really do a thing wrong and fair play to him.

As for the atmosphere I thought it was pretty good in the terrace tonight ! Loads of singing, new songs as well, love the Taff Xmas one. Poor turnout for a league game though when we're near top of table.

• @Username said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    I don't see how we regularly get McCleary, Mehmeti, Hanlan and Vokes into the same starting 11 and play three at the back - it's just too high-risk. Interesting to see what Gaz decides to when Scowen comes back.

Agreed Vs the better sides in this league, but I think those 4, and even Horgan in rotation could be good enough to just dominate against weaker sides IMO

Could well be

• After a subdued first 5 or 10 minutes, the first half we were absolutely electric. The best football we’ve played this season bar the first 10 or 12 minutes against Sunderland. At 2-0 up at half time it was obvious we weren’t interested in continuing the attacking purpose in the second half, which was a shame but I think it’s just the way we aim to choose to manage games. I think with the team we have and how we play at times we all keep thinking ‘someone is going to get thrashed at some point’ but I actually I can’t see that as we just don’t seem to be too interested in doing that. Even so, it was pretty comfortable to hold on 2-1.

But back to the positives. First half was brilliant and Mehmeti and McCleary looked absolutely a class above, superb. Hanlan and Vokes were also excellent up top. Great goal from Brandon. At the moment those 4 are must starters at home or against the mediocre/lower teams. That’ll mean a back 4. But for tactical needs in some games, and against the better sides, a back 5 as an option is still which is really useful. JJ was really excellent at the back today, as was Grimmer, who supported Forino superbly. He’s pretty raw and can look ungainly at times but did really well tonight and grew in confidence as the game progressed, well done to him. Let’s hope Stewart and/or Taff are back on Saturday though.