Skip to content

Match day thread: Burton

Comments

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:

@micra said:
    The lad’s just 18 so maybe the ref really was showing a bit of “human understanding”. Maybe he genuinely didn’t see the second foul as worthy of another yellow. Either way, he unwittingly did Burton a favour.

Our second half disjointed performance was as unexpected and frustrating as the first half was unexpectedly one-sided and exciting - especially to someone who’d predicted a 3-1 victory!

There seemed to be a couple of fouls by Burton just outside our box before their strange consolation goal.

Not familiar with the law that says he’s young give him a break. The second foul is worthy of a booking regardless. Poor refereeing. If it’s a friendly he has a word with the bench and says take him off. It’s not. He walks.

Exactly. Rules are rules and points lost to refs not enforcing the rules correctly can cost human beings their jobs.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    The commentary could always do with an injection of youth, but I think we have a nice variety.

Nah youngsters are overrated ;)

• I think the only co-commentator I’d definitely prefer not to hear is Derek Payne, who was incredibly annoying.

The others all bring something different and do a fine job alongside the meastro.

• We won. Brian Jeeves was very good I thought. I do not buy the line that a 'better team' would have beaten us last night. We had a wobble after a truly freak goal but had at least two chances to increase the lead. Had they not scored we would have been totally in control.Yes, we need to bury chances but at least we are creating them. Every team in this division from top to about 12th is a good side in my opinion. The idea that we are not putting teams to enough of the sword while winning, I find amusing. There are teams in this league who given their players and budget should be putting 5 past a team every week but they aren't and I doubt we will be. Still think we're going to do well though.

• I did smile at the inflection in @bluntphil 's voice when he said: 'Stockdale has gone down with an 'injury' '

• Alan is the best co-commentator for me. Thorough research, professional delivery and we learn something from listening to him.

• @Wendoverman said:
    We won. Brian Jeeves was very good I thought. I do not buy the line that a 'better team' would have beaten us last night. We had a wobble after a truly freak goal but had at least two chances to increase the lead. Had they not scored we would have been totally in control.Yes, we need to bury chances but at least we are creating them. Every team in this division from top to about 12th is a good side in my opinion. The idea that we are not putting teams to enough of the sword while winning, I find amusing. There are teams in this league who given their players and budget should be putting 5 past a team every week but they aren't and I doubt we will be. Still think we're going to do well though.

Brian was excellent last night. Phil always is. Loved the tangental banter about the heimlich maneuver.

• That gif is brilliant. Time wasting as art form.

• Agree completely when Phil does not commentate throughout and one of the 3CR guys do half each match. I’m not which one but you can almost here the sneer when he’s describing our style, it’s not good. The same guy was with Phil when McCleary was in his golden spell earlier in the season (to be fair, he’s always golden) and Phil was describing how a lot of his team mates described Garath as like a cheat code because he’s just so good at this level. The other bloke piled in ‘Yeah, I think I know what that means, it means he doesn’t work hard and track back and ‘cheats’ - it’s in the football standard language’ in a ‘I’m the font of all knowledge way’. Actually, no that’s not what he meant at all.

I note the dignified silences of Phil when one of those guys is talking rubbish. No need to respond to the drivel, brilliant as always.

Phil is by far the best. I am mostly not one to laugh out loud easily to any kind of media but Phil makes me burst out laughing at least once a game!

• I for one am hoping their improved showing in the second half will result in a resounding victory against Rotherham.

• @OakwoodExile said:

That gif is brilliant. Time wasting as art form.

Get ironed out on a Sunday morning wouldn't he?

• The amount of chat about commentators must be directly linked to the sparse crowd last night.

I guess the club still get a few quid from an iFollow pass but was last night an indication of falling crowds if more games are made available online?

Just one point on Chris Forino last night. A real pick and mix of a performance that left me scared from his first missed header. You never knew where a clearance might go or even if he’d be on his feet when he made it. What really impressed me though was his attitude and spirit to keep going. If he keeps that and gets more confident he’ll do ok. One lovely pass down the line second half too.

Talking about ending up on the floor I wonder how the poor Burton player is who McCleary dumped on his rear in the first half. A real match highlight.

• Sadly, a true devotee of the live experience, I was set to brave the elements, roadworks and expensive snacks but found we had a flat. Ifollow was a welcome alternative.

• I have to say, the returns on the development squad have been brilliant so far. In a season a half we have seen the following:

Mehmeti: 40+ appearances in 2nd and 3rd tiers, 6 goals, many magical moments.
    Pendlebury: A handful of appearances, including two league goals in same game.
    Forino: Goal and pen win in cup, promising league debut.

Not to mention the potential of Parsons, Burley et al. I think we have to say this whole enterprise has been a resounding success so far. The fact that three of the lads (Mehmeti, Pendlebury and Forino) could start a game together without everyone completely freaking out shows how well everyone has done.

So, applause to the club, the management, and the players!

• Believe it was Jonny Smith left flat on his arse after McCleary had him all tied up. There were quite a few reports that we were trying to sign him last year for the Championship, but nothing came of it in the end.

• @Shev said:
    I have to say, the returns on the development squad have been brilliant so far. In a season a half we have seen the following:

Mehmeti: 40+ appearances in 2nd and 3rd tiers, 6 goals, many magical moments.
    Pendlebury: A handful of appearances, including two league goals in same game.
    Forino: Goal and pen win in cup, promising league debut.

Not to mention the potential of Parsons, Burley et al. I think we have to say this whole enterprise has been a resounding success so far. The fact that three of the lads (Mehmeti, Pendlebury and Forino) could start a game together without everyone completely freaking out shows how well everyone has done.

So, applause to the club, the management, and the players!

Ainsworth and Dobbo always had a good eye for young players, this was in some ways a no brainer if we had any money, which we didn't for years. Easier said than done though. Hugely impressive start. Not easy to find the gems, convince players to come rather than play meaningful games at a lower level and to manage them alongside the first team. Well done to Sam Grace and the owners, and players too.

• To get 3 players from that group make first team appearances just 18 months from starting the development scheme is absolutely amazing. Great work indeed.

• Firstly, I'd just like to make it clear that I'm not trying to p*ss on any bonfires here. I am as delighted as anyone by the immediate results we are seeing from the development squad and Sam Grace is clearly doing an excellent job. But to plays Devil's advocate, is it not just essentially a necessary re-branding exercise in response to reduced limits on squad sizes? What I'm trying to say is, in the past we have supported squads of 30+ players including some in much the same mould as the current development squad. There would have been a reserve team manager overseeing reserve games and friendlies, some would have trained with the first team more than others, some would have been sent out on loan to gain experience... this isn't a massively different template is it?

• Part Past Part Fiction

• edited December 2021

Risky business, pissing on bonfires. I wouldn't chance it, myself.

• Rings a bell from experience

• Piss on a bonfire to ring a bell. Sounds like the premise of a new BBC game show. Probably hosted by Michael McIntyre.

• 'Uring of Fire'?

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Piss on a bonfire to ring a bell. Sounds like the premise of a new BBC game show. Probably hosted by Michael McIntyre.

I fear that would be an ITV/C5 endeavour fronted by Gino D'Acampo.
    'Now Steve with five correct answers you get to....(pause for audience to join in the catchphrase) 'Piss on De Bonfire!!!!!'

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Risky business, pissing on bonfires. I wouldn't chance it, myself.

Probably riskier farting on a bonfire!

• Pissing on a pylon is not a good idea.

• @YorkExile said:
    Firstly, I'd just like to make it clear that I'm not trying to p*ss on any bonfires here. I am as delighted as anyone by the immediate results we are seeing from the development squad and Sam Grace is clearly doing an excellent job. But to plays Devil's advocate, is it not just essentially a necessary re-branding exercise in response to reduced limits on squad sizes? What I'm trying to say is, in the past we have supported squads of 30+ players including some in much the same mould as the current development squad. There would have been a reserve team manager overseeing reserve games and friendlies, some would have trained with the first team more than others, some would have been sent out on loan to gain experience... this isn't a massively different template is it?

To try and reignite the urine-soaked bonfire, I think the youth, inexperience and quick development of the players makes it a little different to simply having a larger squad. Pendlebury is 19, Mehmeti 20, and Forino-Joseph 21. Mehmeti was playing in the ninth tier before we signed him to the squad and had him scoring goals in the Championship within a few months. Perhaps if a club had a well established academy it would be less impressive, but we have taken players no-one else seemed to want and turned them into upper L1 (and above) quality in double quick time.

• Wakeley looked very good as well. Pendlebury has scored two goals and Forino did not look too out of his depth on Tuesday. Future looks bright, in my opinon.

• Wakeley was a real worry in the Burton Micky mouse game. He had a huge strapping on his leg and was clearly not fit and could barely run. Not really sure why he was playing. Hope he recovers fully as against Leicester he looked a good player.