Skip to content

Match day thread: Crewe Alexandra

Comments

• Speaking of goalkeepers has anyone seen the 'under the cosh' podcast with Andy Woodman? Some absolutely mental stories (including the Newcastle 8 year contract). One of which was him playing in goal for rushden and diamonds against us in a bore draw and Roger Johnson gave him an earful (23mins in).

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@perfidious_albion said:
    Big Yves, international caps for two countries, now coaching at Chelsea, came on for three mins in the last League 2 fixture to secure a promo medal. Personal fitness coach, driver of exotic pimped German wheels. Big character in the training gym. Quite a career.
    But that game at Oxford he looked like he had never played before!

I think Stevenage, Oxford and Scunny when Allsop got sent off were his only league apps?

According to Soccerbase he also played in a 2-1 loss at Shrewsbury, fortnight before the Oxford game. Conceded twice in last three minutes to lose. (but we did win the possession battle apparently)

• edited October 2021

@oxfordshirechairboy said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@perfidious_albion said:
    Big Yves, international caps for two countries, now coaching at Chelsea, came on for three mins in the last League 2 fixture to secure a promo medal. Personal fitness coach, driver of exotic pimped German wheels. Big character in the training gym. Quite a career.
    But that game at Oxford he looked like he had never played before!

I think Stevenage, Oxford and Scunny when Allsop got sent off were his only league apps?

According to Soccerbase he also played in a 2-1 loss at Shrewsbury, fortnight before the Oxford game. Conceded twice in last three minutes to lose. (but we did win the possession battle apparently)

Oh yeah, during that absolutely awful run - was the winner a pen?

• edited October 2021

@LX1 said:
    Jibber jabber..someone flogging a rapist to manu

There really needs to be some sort of block on your account in the evening/night hours.

• @Malone said:

@LX1 said:

There really needs to be some sort of block on your account in the evening/night hours.

Agreed. sorry. Paranoia and self loathing today please don't make it worse

• @DevC said:
    Batista is still playing - now back in the second tier in Portugal with Casa Pia.
    Called up to Angola squad as recently as September but doesn't appear to have played.

Case Pia have quite a history which makes for interesting reading

https://casapiaac.pt/clube/historia/

• @LX1 said:

@Malone said:

@LX1 said:

Don’t change @lx1. I really enjoy your postings.

• @Lloyd2084 said:

@LX1 said:

@Malone said:

@LX1 said:

Don’t change @lx1. I really enjoy your postings.

Though perhaps you need to run them past a lawyer first :smile:

• Batista got a big ban at some point, drugs related I think and that did for his career.

• I got sucked into listening to the Crewe commentary, many thanks to those that mentioned it as it was well worth it. Some proper sour grapes there, including the weird inference that having a centre back scoring twice against you is some sort of moral victory for your own side.

• @StrongestTeam said:
    Batista got a big ban at some point, drugs related I think and that did for his career.

The footballer or wrestler?

• That's him @JohnBoy.... done well in the run to the semi's

• edited October 2021

@Ed_ its bloody brilliant isn’t it, the more you listen and think about it. Those commentators would do well to watch and listen to themselves again to be honest. No doubt they have forgotten that if you go back to the beginning they admit after about 6 mins that they’ve only touched the ball once and we were all over them - Obita and McCarthy had already put about 5 testing crosses in by then too. They never had a period that boxed us in like that in the whole game, let alone the final 17 mins as we have already mentioned. Oh and when Artell got booked I’ve no sympathy as it came from McFadzean going down ?

• Oppo manager booked or sent off in the last three home games

• Final one on the Crewe commentators - “just look at him, he loves himself, Mr Muscles, with his whistle”

• @username123 said:
    Final one on the Crewe commentators - “just look at him, he loves himself, Mr Muscles, with his whistle”

They called him the 'king of the castle' at the end (not on air). Might be the ref Phil once labelled 'super-ref' cause of his almost cartoon-like muscles.

• I thought the ref was very good. I thought we were just good enough. I thought Crewe were all right and gave it everything. And I was delighted that the back of the terrace had been swept. Order restored.

• I thought the ref was okay...though I did think the yellows he gave out to Crewe (before the one for crocking McLeary) were a bit soft considering some of the tackles that had been flying in beforehand...but I find I cannot work out what offences are worthy of a yellow these days.

• Watched the winning goal several times now and Gape’s role should not be overlooked. Making a long busting break from his defensive position to provide a perfect touch ready for the cross. This is probably what GA referred to as ‘sets’ but it still has to be executed.

• @username123 said:
    Final one on the Crewe commentators - “just look at him, he loves himself, Mr Muscles, with his whistle”

There is bias, and then there is being completely unprofessional. The Crewe commentators crossed the line, which makes their salty tears a perfect liquid for cleaning future bird poop from the terrace.

• I wonder if the Crewe commentary team know their games last the joint fifth-longest in the top four divisions this season. https://theanalyst.com/eu/2021/10/the-analyst-diary-october-25/

• Very frustrating not to have listened to the Crewe commentary. Could anyone post it on here?

• @username123 If I didn't know better I would have said that they were doing some genius parody. It's a shame that we aren't likely to be playing Crewe on a regular basis, but I cannot wait for the away fixture.

• ps - they started out well enough with Jacobson, but somewhere along the line he became Yacobson, I think it was something to do with Jaaskelainan being on the same pitch.

• edited October 2021

@perfidious_albion said:
    Very frustrating not to have listened to the Crewe commentary. Could anyone post it on here?

Are you able to watch the Full Match Replay option on the official website? If so, there is a toggle for switching from home to away commentary in the settings. I am not sure how else to watch or listen.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    Watched the winning goal several times now and Gape’s role should not be overlooked. Making a long busting break from his defensive position to provide a perfect touch ready for the cross. This is probably what GA referred to as ‘sets’ but it still has to be executed.

And Kashket's role for completely switching off, letting Gape run across him
    for the throw and getting nowhere near tight enough to stop the cross. Cheers Scott!

• Anyone found a decent Crewe forum...the footymad one is very thin and uninteresting.