Skip to content

Match day thread: Bournemouth

1234568»

Comments

• In some ways being relegated 3,4 or even 5 games ago would be easier. Now it’s a question of if only Horgan had scored v Rotherham, if only the linesman was watching v Derby, if only the ref had done his job v Norwich, if if if. And much like Matt Bloomfield not kicking it into row z v Southend that will haunt me in some way until we go back up.

• I agree - and in many ways, the earlier the worse, as each incident leads to an alternate reality. @Malone has pointed out the Horgan miss and ultimate defeat to Rotherham a few times as so key, and I think it is spot on. Even at the time it felt like such an uncomfortable overture for the rest of the season.

• edited May 2021

@davecz said:

Will the manager stay?
    Maybe. Maybe Not. Depends. If he goes some will be deliriously happy, some will not and then some will be happy with the new manager and some won't be. (Hopefully he or she will have a plan B and have been promoted out of L1 about 20 times)

A number of key stalwarts contracts up. Will they be renewed?.
    Some will. Some won't. Some will be sold. Some will leave. Suffice to say some people will question the wisdom of letting someone go while others will say good riddance...good lad but not good enough/too old for L1/Championship.

All goalkeepers contracts up. What will happen?
    We will have a goalkeeper or two on the books in August. I absolutely guarantee it.

Will any of our contracted players want to stay in the Championship?
    I bet they all do. But what we want and what we get is not always the same.

Can we sign any of our loanees who have had a real impact this season?
    I would say the ones out of contract who we want, who want to stay and who we can afford we will sign. People not wanting to sign or going to bigger teams or requiring a big wage/transfer fee will not.

New players?
    Could be. We've signed one already and we usually have a couple more. Gareth and Dobbo have done it every year since they've been here. Predictable or what?

Close season on the Gasroom can be quite boring, I find. :smile:

Rotherham result was disappointing, but I fear it has begun to loom far too large as a chilling portent of our obvious doom myself.

• I'm just praying Bayo signs for another year. That'll keep us amused on here for most of the summer.

• .........And much like Matt Bloomfield not kicking it into row z v Southend that will haunt me in some way until we go back up.

And look how that has ended up for us....and The Shrimpers!

• @perfidious_albion said:

.........And much like Matt Bloomfield not kicking it into row z v Southend that will haunt me in some way until we go back up.

Yes that one sat with me for a long time but as soon as I let it go things improved

• @Doob said:
    How anyone can anyone think coming 3rd from bottom (and getting relegated) or avoiding having an 'R' against us in league tables until the last game (but still getting relegated) is in anyway something to celebrate I don't know. Some sort of small club mentality? Personally I'm just depressed that we clearly had the players to keep us up but unfortunately had a manager that didn't know how to best use them, until it was too late.

Minus 21.

All time gasroom record?

@micra can you confirm?

• @MorrisItal_ said:

@perfidious_albion said:

.........And much like Matt Bloomfield not kicking it into row z v Southend that will haunt me in some way until we go back up.

Yes that one sat with me for a long time but as soon as I let it go things improved

I could never be angry because of it being Matt Bloomfield. But sometimes I would wake up screaming ‘Matt. Kick it out. Kick it out’. It was right in front of me. I felt responsible for not screaming louder at the time. Oh well sliding doors.

• edited May 2021

@StrongestTeam said:
    Stockdale is 35, while some go on to their 40s some goalies careers fall off a cliff at a certain age, even the likes of Schmeichel and Seaman, either they can't do it anymore physically, don't fancy the hard work anymore, get injured, or can no longer deal with not being as good as they were. Stockdale did well for us in his very brief loan spell but only got two games in before he was recalled, he played less than 10 games in 2 years, then made a couple of mistakes in his two games last season and a howler in pre-season.

In fairness, the two you mention were still playing in the Premier league at 39 and 40 respectively!

Stockdale can go on for many a year now, especially in league 1. And erm obvs when we come back up :)

• Stockdale looks like he could play up front for many years to come!

• @Wendoverman said:

@davecz said:

Will the manager stay?
    Maybe. Maybe Not. Depends. If he goes some will be deliriously happy, some will not and then some will be happy with the new manager and some won't be. (Hopefully he or she will have a plan B and have been promoted out of L1 about 20 times)

Some will. Some won't. Some will be sold. Some will leave. Suffice to say some people will question the wisdom of letting someone go while others will say good riddance...good lad but not good enough/too old for L1/Championship.

We will have a goalkeeper or two on the books in August. I absolutely guarantee it.

I would say the ones out of contract who we want, who want to stay and who we can afford we will sign. People not wanting to sign or going to bigger teams or requiring a big wage/transfer fee will not.

New players?
    Could be. We've signed one already and we usually have a couple more. Gareth and Dobbo have done it every year since they've been here. Predictable or what?

Rotherham result was disappointing, but I fear it has begun to loom far too large as a chilling portent of our obvious doom

and the point of all this?

• Ultimately, football never has happy endings. What I mean is that it is always a continuing story (unless you go out of business, in which case an unhappy ending is possible). So Southend, instead of getting credits rolling at the end of their playoff movie, found out it is a never ending mini-series, and they are now going through a very dark installment. As for Wycombe, it was heartbreak, then a recent sequence of stupendous triumphs, and now a setback of sorts (which in context is not really a true setback per se).

The story will continue, with it's ups and downs.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:

@MorrisItal_ said:

@perfidious_albion said:

I could never be angry because of it being Matt Bloomfield. But sometimes I would wake up screaming ‘Matt. Kick it out. Kick it out’. It was right in front of me. I felt responsible for not screaming louder at the time. Oh well sliding doors.

It’s my fault we lost, every game prior to that I’d patted the tree at the end of Hillbottom three times for luck however that time I didn’t stop on the way to Wembley I apologise to everyone

• I still don't think that was Bloomfield's fault. Didn't he turn to give the ball to a supporting Steve Craig, unaware that he'd pulled his hamstring whilst running to support him?

• That's how I remember it @eric_plant

• edited May 2021

One of the many wonderful aspects of the Oxford playoff final is that such in such an iconic, great night for the club, it was JJ scoring the winner, and the trophy being lifted by Bloomers and Bayo. Those three deserve their images to be so indelibly linked to such a glorious achievement. For Bloomers, having such a signature moment after past heartbreak must be so much sweeter! Missing a penalty in a L2 playoff final must hurt, but then lifting the L1 playoff trophy with the same club just a few years later must be closure and catharsis of the highest magnitude!

• @davecz said:

@Wendoverman said:

@davecz said:

Will the manager stay?

New players?

Rotherham result was disappointing, but I fear it has begun to loom far too large as a chilling portent of our obvious doom

and the point of all this?

A bit of a deep one but I'll give it a go. I suppose it depends upon your view about the spiritual or the natural. Is there a God or are we just an accident of nature with an elevated view of ourselves? I would like to believe there is something more but have a sneaking suspicion this (as in life rather than just the Gasroom) is actually all there is.

• “And the point of all this?” A momentous Wendoverian pisstake (or in Italian, pistachio). Curtains in cleaners. Can’t sleep.

• @Shev said:
    One of the many wonderful aspects of the Oxford playoff final is that such in such an iconic, great night for the club, it was JJ scoring the winner, and the trophy being lifted by Bloomers and Bayo. Those three deserve their images to be so indelibly linked to such a glorious achievement. For Bloomers, having such a signature moment after past heartbreak must be so much sweeter! Missing a penalty in a L2 playoff final must hurt, but then lifting the L1 playoff trophy with the same club just a few years later must be closure and catharsis of the highest magnitude!

I think we all saw at as his ‘Stuart Pearce’ moment. Called it redemption or closure it was a great moment and image for all of us.

• and the point of all this?

We kick, therefore we are

• I have been known to get excited about football. Almost every Wanderers game, in fact. I don't generally get emotional about it, but did when Stockdale ran up to the collapsing Bloomfield after the play-off win. A wonderful moment that will stay with me for a long, long time.

• @eric_plant said:
    I still don't think that was Bloomfield's fault. Didn't he turn to give the ball to a supporting Steve Craig, unaware that he'd pulled his hamstring whilst running to support him?

As I remember it Blooms tried to play it off the Shrimpers player for a Wycombe throw but it rebounded, as mentioned above, towards Craig who was hobbling on one peg. And ‘the rest is history’.....
    But then again the traumatised mind can get lay tricks.

• @our_frank said:
    I have been known to get excited about football. Almost every Wanderers game, in fact. I don't generally get emotional about it, but did when Stockdale ran up to the collapsing Bloomfield after the play-off win. A wonderful moment that will stay with me for a long, long time.

I was in tears at that point.

I welled up the other week when the players were literally queuing up to hug Bayo after his winner.

The number of amazing moments this club has provided over the years is astonishing

• @our_frank said:
    I have been known to get excited about football. Almost every Wanderers game, in fact. I don't generally get emotional about it, but did when Stockdale ran up to the collapsing Bloomfield after the play-off win. A wonderful moment that will stay with me for a long, long time.

I must admit it was amazing to get so emotional about a game I was watching on the tellybox at home...that's the problem for us all now...once back in AP in League One like Dallas we might start to think the whole of this season was just a dream!

• @eric_plant said:

@our_frank said:

I was in tears at that point.

I welled up the other week when the players were literally queuing up to hug Bayo after his winner.

The number of amazing moments this club has provided over the years is astonishing

With regards to the Boomfield pic I tried to get that photo so I could have it on my wall. It is one of the great sporting photos in my eyes (probably as I know the stories in those emotions). It is featured in the photo book but the image is owned by the EFL and you can't buy it unless it is for publication according to Prime Media. Football is for the fans