Skip to content

Match day thread: Blackburn

Comments

• Our 100% home record against Premier League winners remains intact!

• Manchester City as well, of course. Any others?

• If games played before they became PL champions counts, as with MC, we failed to beat Chelsea and Leicester in league cup games.

• League only I presume.

• Ssh, or you’ll upset Doob because he thinks it’s irrelevant and meaningless. Here’s something else that’s irrelevant and meaningless but I’d be delighted if it happens...five more points and we’ll have beaten Peterborough’s points total in the Championship from season 2009-10.

• @glasshalffull fyi ‘The Historic Chase’ thread is dealing with this elsewhere

• Thanks, hadn’t realised.

• @JohnBoy said:

@Malone said:
    Blackburn Rovers manager Tony Mowbray told BBC Radio Lancashire:

"Ultimately we're left disappointed and frustrated. We've lost lots of games this season 1-0. We're all disappointed to have lost to a** team like Wycombe.**

Then some patronising stuff "praising" our "togetherness" etc.

We are bottom of the league, you know. Not exactly an out of line comment.

He specifically mentions a "team like Wycombe" as opposed to a "bottom of the league team".
    Big difference.

• Also, there’s the little matter of doing the double over Peterborough in that particular table. From memory, I think we need another 7 points (perhaps 8, depending on respective goal difference figures) to achieve that double.

Have just been watching Huddersfield versus Brentford. I don’t know if he played against us in either game, but I was highly impressed today with Lewis O’Brien, a 22 year old left sided midfielder. I was less impressed with the commentator or “analyst” who remarked about the competititivity of the Premier League!

• Oh dear! 30 minute telephone conversation since starting the above post has thrown me into disarray- doesn’t take much. The last sentence refers to the aftermath of the remarkable 2-5 result in favour of WBA at Stamford Bridge.

• Interestingly (to me, at least) five of our seven scalps have been former champions of England.

• @davecz said:
    5 in 10 clean sheets for Stockdale. Should he have played more games? Definitely.

Yes, Stockdale looks to have more ‘presence’ than Rocky, although I don’t think he is necessarily a better keeper.

• I dread opposition corners much less when Stockdale is in goal (and McCarthy and Ikpeazu keep well out of his way!)

• @Forest_Blue said:

@davecz said:
    5 in 10 clean sheets for Stockdale. Should he have played more games? Definitely.

Yes, Stockdale looks to have more ‘presence’ than Rocky, although I don’t think he is necessarily a better keeper.

In terms of shot stopping, I don't think there's much between them, though Stockdale's quick-thinking in his distribution is outstanding even by Championship standards, and can help us hit teams on the break on occasions where Allsop would be minded to just keep hold of the ball so we can pack the midfield to win an aerial battle.

• @AlanCecil said:
    Our 100% home record against Premier League winners remains intact!

Far be it for me to lecture you that football wasn't invented in 1992, though Blackburn became the 12th champions of England to play a league game at Adams Park.
    Bonus point if you can name the first of those teams to play a league game at Adams Park.

• Preston?

• Would have been Preston wouldn't it?

• Actually, @ReadingMarginalista I've just been through the list and I think they (Blackburn) were the 13th, not the 12th

• The 13 being:

Preston
    Sunderland
    Blackburn
    Burnley
    Sheff Utd
    Sheff Weds
    Pompey
    Leeds
    Ipswich
    Derby
    Forest
    Man City
    Huddersfield

• edited April 2021

Got me bang to rights there @eric_plant ! I made the mistake of looking at a list of Division 1 winners, which missed out Preston as they won the title when the Football League was just one division. A rather embarrassing oversight with them only being the first winners and the only one to have been unbeaten all season for 115 years. So yes, Preston were the first we played against (and not Huddersfield as I had first thought using my flawed research technique!)

• edited April 2021

Cardiff won it in the 20s, too.

• @Shev said:
    Cardiff won it in the 20s, too.

You may be thinking of the Cup

• They didn’t win it but got very close. Level on points equal goal difference one more goal scored but just behind on goal average. And they missed a penalty in a drawn final game.

• How the mind plays tricks! I would have sworn it was the league, but it was indeed the cup!

• @ReadingMarginalista said:

@AlanCecil said:

Far be it for me to lecture you that football wasn't invented in 1992, though Blackburn became the 12th champions of England to play a league game at Adams Park.
    Bonus point if you can name the first of those teams to play a league game at Adams Park.

To be fair, @ReadingMarginalista, the vast majority of Wycombe fans would not know (or care) how many top division champions had visited Adams Park although I’m sure that, like me, they are amazed to learn that there have been so many.

I’m guessing that, in the euphoria following an unexpected victory, @AlanCecil chose to post an off-the-cuff, tongue in cheek comment about our success against Premier League champions. I don’t think lecturing needed to come into it.

• Apologies if I've missed this, but do we get tomorrow free on ifollow ? Seeing as it's not a Saturday away game

• We’ll have to cough up a tenner tomorrow @HolmerBlue.

• @micra said:

@ReadingMarginalista said:

@AlanCecil said:

To be fair, @ReadingMarginalista, the vast majority of Wycombe fans would not know (or care) how many top division champions had visited Adams Park although I’m sure that, like me, they are amazed to learn that there have been so many.

I’m guessing that, in the euphoria following an unexpected victory, @AlanCecil chose to post an off-the-cuff, tongue in cheek comment about our success against Premier League champions. I don’t think lecturing needed to come into it.

I actually stole that fact from Ian Baker on Twitter

• Interesting list of teams there and I'd also come to the conclusion that, somewhat strangely, we've faced 'bigger' teams in tier3 over the years than in our one season in tier2, such as Leeds, Man City and Sunderland. All bigger clubs than even Blackburn!
    Oh and please Alan Parry, and your comments about Peterborough, grow up!

• @Doob said:
    Interesting list of teams there and I'd also come to the conclusion that, somewhat strangely, we've faced 'bigger' teams in tier3 over the years than in our one season in tier2, such as Leeds, Man City and Sunderland. All bigger clubs than even Blackburn!
    Oh and please Alan Parry, and your comments about Peterborough, grow up!

I thought you considered such matters to be irrelevant and meaningless? At the age of 72, I don’t think I have much growing up to do and you are out of step with the majority of posters on here whose views about Peterborough’s attitude to Wycombe are well documented.