Skip to content

Match day thread: Blackburn

Comments

• Excellent result with a decent performance. Beat Rotherham on Monday and who knows what might happen. And then Luton at home. Could we?

• Sorry @Malone - no stats on Stewart’s appearances.

Haven’t heard smart meters ad @drcongo but my reaction would depend on context and the voice. I have no interest in smart meters. I can take one reading away from another and I know that when someone leaves the TV on pause for half an hour it is still consuming 300 watts!

Is everyone talking about the match? I’d better go.

• @davecz said:
    Excellent result with a decent performance. Beat Rotherham on Monday and who knows what might happen. And then Luton at home. Could we?

We need something more definitive than that @davecz. Thought you were the soothsayer.

• Another reason we need to keep this going: we don't know if a club might fall into administration late on. Of course it's not a great way to stay up, but if for instance Derby got a 12 point deduction, we would be 5 from Rotherham instead of 8 from Birmingham.

Unlikely to happen, but look at how Barnsley survived last season!

• Great result and room for improvement especially upfront.

Looking forward to Monday.

• Can anyone remember a team who stayed up on the last day by one goal?

• Worth keeping an eye on the bottom of L2. ColU are 22nd, only five points above the line.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Turn Rotherham over, and that quickfire win double would certainly get the confidence up.
    The pressure feels totally off right now, and it wouldn't be the first time that improves things.

• Fantastic three points, I didn’t feel we played much better or worse than we have most of the season.
    Blackburn were very poor, possibly even the worst team we’ve played at home this season except Birmingham. They had very little quick players out there which allowed us to temper them.
    On the odd occasion they did get in behind Fred’s pace saved us defensively on several occasions.
    I’m not convinced with the new 3-4-3, however it was pleasing to see us try something else!
    I think a team who move the ball quickly and have quick wingers/wingbacks could really take us a part. I’m not sure we should play this system against Luton.

• Also, just in case the miracle doesn't happen, today showed a fine blueprint in how to play next season without Bayo.

Have Obita as a wing-back perhaps too. Kashket will presumably get more chances in League 1 to play off Uche. Mehmeti given an easier ride. Get a passing midfielder in there and we might be quite nice to watch.

• edited April 2021

There's some great arguments for that formation, looking at next season.

It means we can potentially field JJ-Obita and Grimmer-McCarthy in the same side, have a double defensive centre mid combo, Mehmeti, and a "proper" front 2.

McCarthy is a brilliant league 1 player, and Grimmer is a really strong league 1 full back. To have one of them missing out most weeks is definitely one of the big conundrums I'm sure Gareth is pondering.

JJ and Grimmer don't suit the wing back positions like Obita and McCarthy do, so it could be a great way to get them involved. It also takes away the traditional "problem" of a back 3, in that the centre backs aren't always the best at covering wide. With full backs there, you negate that issue, and it's just a question of whether they have enough aerial ability to deal with the centre. With Tafazolli in there, there's sheer dominance. And Stewart can rotate with either JJ/Grimmer at times too.

In certain games we could use Fred/McCleary as the "wing backs", but with a more attacking bias.

The option of 2 up front is one I expect most people prefer. Uche/Samuel/Kashket/Fred isn't a bad 4, especially for league 1. All 4 are at their best centrally too.

Good to have options.

• Intriguing thoughts, @Malone!

• Fred was man of the match by a mile, but I have to also mention JJ and Knight who were both absolutely superb.

• GA was spot on today tactically.

• 5 in 10 clean sheets for Stockdale. Should he have played more games? Definitely.

• I remember commenting a few games ago (probably longer) about how frequently JJ clears his lines with powerful headers. He fits the role he had today very well.

• @drcongo said:
    I’d like to see Samuel on for Uche, who seems to have completely gone off the idea of getting into the box, or laying the ball off. When the wingbacks get high up the pitch we need someone who will put their all into getting into the penalty area so there’s someone to cross to.

Agree. Just can't see what Uche offers anymore.Would like to see Gareth look at other options.

• @Aylesburyblue said:

@drcongo said:
    I’d like to see Samuel on for Uche, who seems to have completely gone off the idea of getting into the box, or laying the ball off. When the wingbacks get high up the pitch we need someone who will put their all into getting into the penalty area so there’s someone to cross to.

Agree. Just can't see what Uche offers anymore.Would like to see Gareth look at other options.

I’m not saying he’s not offering anything, however when he drifts into the channels or drops back into midfield there’s nobody upfront in the middle, where you want a striker to be. Could be a tactical thing, but I’d rather he just hung around in the middle up front.

• @drcongo said:

@Aylesburyblue said:

@drcongo said:

I’m not saying he’s not offering anything, however when he drifts into the channels or drops back into midfield there’s nobody upfront in the middle, where you want a striker to be. Could be a tactical thing, but I’d rather he just hung around in the middle up front.

No goals,no assists,no layoffs.Certainly no Bayo.

• @Aylesburyblue said:

@drcongo said:

@Aylesburyblue said:

@drcongo said:

No goals,no assists,no layoffs.Certainly no Bayo.

Not today, but he's joint top scorer having missed half the season, and won a fair few pens.

• Uche needs to find better ways of channeling his frustration.

When things aren’t going his way he finds it hard to focus and spends too much time remonstrating instead of clearing his mind and moving on. We’re pretty good at coaching that out of players on the whole.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Blackburn Rovers manager Tony Mowbray told BBC Radio Lancashire:

"Ultimately we're left disappointed and frustrated. We've lost lots of games this season 1-0. We're all disappointed to have lost to a** team like Wycombe.**

Then some patronising stuff "praising" our "togetherness" etc.

• I know which manager I’d rather have.

• He should console himself with the fact that promotion-chasing Reading also lost 1-0 to a team like Wycombe, with Fred also scoring the winner. Exalted company.

• @Shev said:
    He should console himself with the fact that promotion-chasing Reading also lost 1-0 to a team like Wycombe, with Fred also scoring the winner. Exalted company.

I've been telling my Reading pal for weeks that they'll be coming 7th.

I'm amazed they're still scraping onto 6th with the amount they seem to lose.
    Bournemouth 1 point behind with a game in hand makes it interesting.

He tells me they've lost 7 times in a row in the playoffs. Or 8...although 8 might be if they lose this time.

• @Malone said:
    Blackburn Rovers manager Tony Mowbray told BBC Radio Lancashire:

"Ultimately we're left disappointed and frustrated. We've lost lots of games this season 1-0. We're all disappointed to have lost to a** team like Wycombe.**

Then some patronising stuff "praising" our "togetherness" etc.

We are bottom of the league, you know. Not exactly an out of line comment.

• Yeah but @JohnBoy remember, Blackburn won the Premier division nearly 30 years ago, and apparently that's somehow relevant to some of the people on here to a fairly meaningless 2nd tier match in 2021.

• Seems I recall reporting on Blackburn winning the Premier League and traveling with them into Europe. The number of times I heard the phrase 'losing to a team like Blackburn.' What goes around.....