Skip to content

The Generals and the replacements

Comments

• @Wendoverman said:
    Dont mind having experienced players or leaders on.the pitch..just 'generals' sounds a bit naff to me.

Generalissimos?

• @Wendoverman said:
    Dont mind having experienced players or leaders on.the pitch..just 'generals' sounds a bit naff to me.

Don't we go for Admirals now?

• We have four generals.

Akinfenwa
    Charles
    Jacobson
    Bloomfield

Akinfenwa and Charles have contracts ending in June. Potentially leaving two spots available.

For me the next two leaders in the pack are Gape and Stewart

• @wwfcblue said:
    We have four generals.

Akinfenwa
    Charles
    Jacobson
    Bloomfield

Akinfenwa and Charles have contracts ending in June. Potentially leaving two spots available.

For me the next two leaders in the pack are Gape and Stewart

Ainsworth has always talked about his "5 generals". I thought Gape has been considered to be one for a long time now. Based on what I've seen (on and off the pitch), I'd "promote" Stewart and Grimmer.

• I really like the idea that the dressing room manages itself to a large degree and that there are a number of players with the right characters taking responsibility for that, rather than just one.

• @our_frank said:
    I really like the idea that the dressing room manages itself to a large degree and that there are a number of players with the right characters taking responsibility for that, rather than just one.

Having read 'Legacy' about the New Zealand rugby culture I can see alot of similarities about what is happening at Wycombe. Responsibility and self management are big things.
    I once heard a talk from an ex All Black forward who had retired to work in the City of London. He compared the two cultures and lamented the lack of self management and responsibilities in the City as ego and to a certain extent employment law stopped the team regulation he was used to. Some interesting tales on how Dan Carter was made to realise his ego was affecting the team followed.

• Was hoping this thread was about Chesham United

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@our_frank said:
    I really like the idea that the dressing room manages itself to a large degree and that there are a number of players with the right characters taking responsibility for that, rather than just one.

Having read 'Legacy' about the New Zealand rugby culture I can see alot of similarities about what is happening at Wycombe. Responsibility and self management are big things.
    I once heard a talk from an ex All Black forward who had retired to work in the City of London. He compared the two cultures and lamented the lack of self management and responsibilities in the City as ego and to a certain extent employment law stopped the team regulation he was used to. Some interesting tales on how Dan Carter was made to realise his ego was affecting the team followed.

Yawn.

• So, the generals thing, which is widely reported as being a big part of our recent unprecedented rise, is suddenly a bit naff?

• I am deeply sorry that having said that I - as in me - find the term generals a bit 'naff' (apologies) I seem to have insulted our glorious war dead, undermined team morale and condemned the club's unprecedented rise. Quick @glasshalffull get your opinion in now and deflect some of this flak... :smile:

• @Chickenhead said:

@Right_in_the_Middle said:

@our_frank said:

Yawn.

Suggest you get more sleep!

• @Wendoverman said:
    I am deeply sorry that having said that I - as in me - find the term generals a bit 'naff' (apologies) I seem to have insulted our glorious war dead, undermined team morale and condemned the club's unprecedented rise. Quick @glasshalffull get your opinion in now and deflect some of this flak... :smile:

And insulted Chesham United.

• @Wendoverman said:
    I am deeply sorry that having said that I - as in me - find the term generals a bit 'naff' (apologies) I seem to have insulted our glorious war dead, undermined team morale and condemned the club's unprecedented rise. Quick @glasshalffull get your opinion in now and deflect some of this flak... :smile:

Love your posts but I’m not raising my head above the parapet on this one, still recovering from Eric Plant’s latest broadside. It’s tough down here in the trenches.

• @Chickenhead said:

Yawn.

Touche

One day I might be able to lift my interests up to your high levels and become obsessed with internet trolls trying to get click bait. I can only hope.
    Did I mention that the All Black forward was a distant cousin of a Mr Swann who I'm told is one of the bext journalists in the country? Not sure if it adds relevance to you or not?

• What about the Chairman’s statement don’t you get.
    Little Chesham are not our rivals.
    The only Generals in our ‘worldwide global’ sporting competitive set are the Washington basketball team.

• @glasshalffull said:

@Wendoverman said:

Love your posts but I’m not raising my head above the parapet on this one, still recovering from Eric Plant’s latest broadside. It’s tough down here in the trenches.

Just so I'm sure, you're talking about me claiming it was desperate to think Derby's winner was offside yeah?

• Lost your sense of humour, Eric?

• Gape is definitely already one of the generals, and was before Charles.

• @glasshalffull said:
    Lost your sense of humour, Eric?

Question is did @eric_plant ever have one? #lightheartedprod

• Thanks @glasshalffull I knew I could depend on you! :smiley:

• @Shev said:
    Gape is definitely already one of the generals, and was before Charles.

Charles wasn't ever one was he?

• @Malone said:

@Shev said:

General Charles Lee?

• edited February 2021

@Malone said:

@Shev said:

My guess is Charles replaced Al-Abd.

• As a central defender (and captain?) I thought he was an upgrade on Adam El Abd despite having to play through the pain barrier. Great guy. We owe him a lot.

• @Wendoverman said:

@Wendoverman. Found the interview online I was thinking of on Sky Sports talking about the play off final at the end of last season

Ainsworth: "It goes back a long way to something we did right at the start of my tenure when we took the boys to the Somme. It made me look into the military a little bit more and see how it worked; they have one leader at the top who delegates people to lead everything underneath and very few problems get to him if he puts the right people in charge. What I've done at the club is to appoint these 'generals' and over the last four or five seasons, it's been superb.

"Bayo is one of the generals along with Matt Bloomfield, Joe Jacobson, Dominic Gape and they run the dressing room. They uphold my standards, emulate what we are as a football club and, if anyone is out of line, they are told in the right way. It's so important for new signings who might think they are something special to come in and be part of the group as something special, not on their own. We're never going to be able to compete for signing the best players because we are always in a fight and even League Two clubs can outbid us sometimes. But what they can't outbid us at is this togetherness and spirit we've got."

• They referred to Darius as a general on the commentary today.

But it was just the 4 mentioned above wasn't it?

• @carrickblue not denying any of that...still think it sounds crap.

• @Wendoverman each to their own

• @carrickblue said:

@Wendoverman each to their own

Exactly.

• I will pretty much type this every time Darius is mentioned. He is one of my favourite players of the past 40 odd years of watching Wycombe. He was the pure embodiment of everything I want in a football team. An inspiration to be a better person is a rare thing.