Skip to content

Match day thread: Birmingham

Comments

• I will agree when it’s a mathematical fact, not a moment before.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Talking of reasons to feel despondent, Rotherham are 3-0 up against Derby, putting us 10 points adrift from 23rd. Are we allowed to talk about must win games yet?

The new manager "bounce" didn't last long.

• edited February 2021

@perfidious_albion said:
    Think Rotherham got 23 points @Malone.
    On another point:
    Having watched the ‘highlights’ did anyone else notice at the point of the sending off, Fred decided to run out with the ball but Scotty was away and free and screening for the ball which was not going to come as Fred had his head down. That must be one of the potential chances Gaz mentioned.

You're right. 23 points is shocking!

We'd have to only get 7 draws from the next 21 for that.

• Ringing The Blues midweek special!

A review of the transfer window with @Vincey plus ALL the action and reaction from the game against Birmingham!

https://anchor.fm/phil-catchpole/episodes/No-Disrespect-For-League-2-ept6ki

• @glasshalffull said:
    I will agree when it’s a mathematical fact, not a moment before.

Brilliant. I will be listening even more closely to your commentaries to see if you ever mention the infamous saying “ must win game” ??

• It’s a must win game in order that we close the gap on 23rd place sooner rather than later.

I think that should pass the mathematical conundrum!

• "must" is a word which should almost always be qualified anyway.

• @glasshalffull said:

Hopefully you won't do a Tony Adams...

• @Ned_Ludd said:

@glasshalffull said:

Hopefully you won't do a Tony Adams...

Remind me what he did, genuinely forgotten.

• @glasshalffull said:

Remind me what he did, genuinely forgotten.

We lost at home to someone, can't recall who, and in the post-match press conference, Adams said we would keep fighting until we were mathematically relegated. We already were.

To be fair here, the gap looked like it was doable but because teams above us had to play each other, at least one team was guaranteed to pick up points so we couldn't catch everyone we needed to.

• It was a bit rich given that at Christmas time he left out our best players, basically saying we were as good as down and he was already planning for life in the league below

• Wow, Adams was useless, we even lost to Beaconsfield Utd (as they were called in those days).

• and then seemed to treat the remainder of the season as an experiment: Johnson at left-back, Currie at wing-back, etc. You never knew what you were going to get, turning up on a Saturday.

• @eric_plant said:
    It was a bit rich given that at Christmas time he left out our best players, basically saying we were as good as down and he was already planning for life in the league below

Yep, his motivation skills included the classic - "I need 11 new players really" and demonstrating what reallygiving up on staying up looks like - some of those games towards the end of that season were terrible.
    He then followed that by releasing everyone he could allowing them to pick up clubs at higher levels and being surprised that his budget to replace them was about £6. Disastrous reign equalled wherever he went as boss.

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    Wow, Adams was useless, we even lost to Beaconsfield Utd (as they were called in those days).

He did sign "Mr Wycombe" though!

• My sense of despair after Tuesday is dissipating finally, thanks to another vey enjoyable Ringing the Blues, the eternal optimism of @eric_plant and the eternal pragmatism of @arnos_grove. Sorry to all of you for being a miserable, snipey dick for the last few days.

• I respect anyone who has the good grace to apologise and hopefully Saturday will put us all in a better mood.

• @drcongo said:
    My sense of despair after Tuesday is dissipating finally, thanks to another vey enjoyable Ringing the Blues, the eternal optimism of @eric_plant and the eternal pragmatism of @arnos_grove. Sorry to all of you for being a miserable, snipey dick for the last few days.

Gets to all sometimes, especially at the moment. Don't worry about it.

In normal times we can have a good shout on the terrace, whinge in the pub over a pint or two after and it's out of our system

Roll on the time when we can do that again

• Weirdly, I never get angry when I'm actually at the match.

• @our_frank said:
    and then seemed to treat the remainder of the season as an experiment: Johnson at left-back, Currie at wing-back, etc. You never knew what you were going to get, turning up on a Saturday.

"Happy Days!"

• We desperately need @trevor back. When he/she is around there’s always that ‘at least I don’t feel as bad as that’ to measure our misery against.

• Just imagine if the point gained on Tuesday night is the point that keeps us up.

(I refuse to contemplate the two points not gained in my current mental state)

• @drcongo said:
    Weirdly, I never get angry when I'm actually at the match.

I just constantly berate referees

• I find a sinpey @drcongo kinda sexy

• Given our position in the league, our current form, the weather, the time of the year, the latest lockdown and the general state of the world, I reckon the Gasroom is being pretty sanguine right now.

• I’m going to ‘do a Micra’ here and confess that I don’t know how to do the thumbs up or down thingy, but how odd that four people thought my post about DrCongo’s apology was worthy of a thumbs down.

• No matter what short term disappointments arise, the big picture remains that to even be in the second tier is a Herculean achievement. Just getting promoted in itself has put us on a better long term footing, and the players who got us here are legends. Individual games may be difficult for various reasons, but I am still drinking it in. Birmingham one day, Forest another day - it's still incredible.

• @glasshalffull said:
    I’m going to ‘do a Micra’ here and confess that I don’t know how to do the thumbs up or down thingy, but how odd that four people thought my post about DrCongo’s apology was worthy of a thumbs down.

The opposite is the case. 4 people have given you the thumbs up!

• @eric_plant said:

@drcongo said:
    Weirdly, I never get angry when I'm actually at the match.

I just constantly berate referees

For the 2 games we were back I loved berating the linesman (profanity free may I add). It was like a game at loakes park when your voice could really reach your intended victim.