Skip to content

Match day thread: Birmingham

Comments

• The iFollow interview on the official site explains GA's thinking a bit, I can't see it referenced here so I'll try and paraphrase...

On taking Uche and Admiral off - Birmingham dealt with them far better in the second half so we put Bayo and Scott on to try and change things. They caused Birmingham different problems and there were a couple of times that Kashket was nearly put in on goal. We do have to be far more clinical with the limited chances we get.

On what to do after the sending off - considered whether to throw caution to the wind but felt that, after Saturday, a sucker punch goal would destroy the morale so went with what we had at time (plus Wheeler on). If it had been ten minutes earlier, there would have been a change to 4-4-2.

Full interview is here...

https://www.wycombewanderers.co.uk/news/2021/february/ifollow-gareths-birmingham-reflections/

• I should add I would have gone defensive at the start but tried to make attacking subs and pile on forward as the game went on and it looked more likely we had a chance. But I have no evidence to suggest the players would have suddenly done as requested and we'd have won or that we wouldn't have been caught out and collapsed as we did in the two previous games.

• Luton do have 3 players earning over £1m a year each so they are not exactly paupers!

• Needless to say Karanka is not getting an easy ride from Bluenoses either...why not attack against the worse side in the division, etc etc.

• It really is a measure of how far we have come that we are so disappointed about a draw with Birmingham City when only a few seasons ago that would have been a remarkable achievement.

• @StrongestTeam said:
    We look at them as being rubbish and why aren't we attacking more whereas maybe Ainsworth does see it as a point gained against what is a much bigger club with much more resource.

That's kinda precisely my point. Every club in the division is much bigger with much more resources available. If we're not going to attack for those reasons then we're not going to attack.

@Ned_Ludd paraphrased:
    On taking Uche and Admiral off - Birmingham dealt with them far better in the second half so we put Bayo and Scott on to try and change things.

This would be fair enough, but for the fact that they were still the two liveliest players on the pitch, and we didn't take off Blooms who Birmingham never even had to think about let alone deal with.

@Ned_Ludd paraphrased:
    They caused Birmingham different problems and there were a couple of times that Kashket was nearly put in on goal.

No they didn't. And "nearly" is doing a hell of a lot of work there.

@Ned_Ludd paraphrased:
    We do have to be far more clinical with the limited chances we get.

We need to create some chances in the first place.

I realise I'm going very Trevor here, but the script that gets read after every appalling performance just rubs salt into the wounds. I'm going to keep telling myself this is COVID fallout, because anything else is just too awful to contemplate.

• @drcongo said:

@StrongestTeam said:
    We look at them as being rubbish and why aren't we attacking more whereas maybe Ainsworth does see it as a point gained against what is a much bigger club with much more resource.

That's kinda precisely my point. Every club in the division is much bigger with much more resources available. If we're not going to attack for those reasons then we're not going to attack.

@Ned_Ludd paraphrased:
    On taking Uche and Admiral off - Birmingham dealt with them far better in the second half so we put Bayo and Scott on to try and change things.

This would be fair enough, but for the fact that they were still the two liveliest players on the pitch, and we didn't take off Blooms who Birmingham never even had to think about let alone deal with.

@Ned_Ludd paraphrased:
    They caused Birmingham different problems and there were a couple of times that Kashket was nearly put in on goal.

No they didn't. And "nearly" is doing a hell of a lot of work there.

@Ned_Ludd paraphrased:
    We do have to be far more clinical with the limited chances we get.

We need to create some chances in the first place.

I realise I'm going very Trevor here, but the script that gets read after every appalling performance just rubs salt into the wounds. I'm going to keep telling myself this is COVID fallout, because anything else is just too awful to contemplate.

From the interview it was not wanting to get caught and possibly thrashed a third time in a row again that made them settle and stopped them going for it in the end rather than any ideological hatred of attack, they probably regret that but there's some big old teams coming next so who knows. Probably fair to say we still have to pick and choose our moments rather than go all guns blazing.

• You're not on your own @drcongo , I'm agreeing with everything you are saying

• It’s not me you have to argue with @drcongo. I offered the information without comment.

• You’re being very downbeat today DrCongo and that’s not like you. I don’t think there have been many ‘appalling’ performances, but I guess that depends on how you define appalling. We were very poor against Blackburn, Barnsley, second half v.Brentford and last night, of course. Otherwise, I think most people agree that we’ve been pretty competitive in the majority of games for a team with so little Championship experience.

• I will reserve final judgement on yesterday’s ‘performance’ until after Saturday.

I’ve recovered enough to possibly accept it as a one-off but more of the same and I’m getting in contact with @LX1

• The Kashket reference is interesting tbh because I do think Ainsworth still thinks Sticking Bayo and Kashket on and hoping for flick ons is the same as it was in previous years and a genuine threat, I struggle to see Bayo being anywhere near as effective although I hope to be proved wrong. I'd have Scotty up with Uche causing problems for people.

• Have to agree with @drcongo (sadly) about Blooms but I assumed that was for some unknown reason/illness/injury to Dennis or Wheeler something. Also I agree that Uche has to stay on...Kashket and Uche...maybe...but Bayo and Kashket...in a game where we were hardly getting anywhere near the opposition box? Not a good plan for me.
    Fingers crossed for Saturday that at 5pm my hometown family are more depressed than me...

• @drcongo said:
    COVID - This I'm taking as the only other possible reason for last nights display. We have definitely not been at the races since.
    Budget - Irrelevant. Everyone else in this division has a bigger budget than us, we can make that excuse every week but it's not going to keep us up.

The point I'm failing to make is - if we don't try and get 3 points against the teams just above us, then it's useless. Especially those in terrible form like Birmingham. We could go on to get 3 points off all of the top 6 teams but it will be completely meaningless if the teams just above us pick up 18 points on those weeks too. People on here got shouted down for describing this as a must win game but when you're in a relegation fight the games against those just above you are the ones you must try and win. We took off the only two players who had a shot last night and replaced them with two players who barely touched the ball. We left Blooms on for 90 minutes when it was clear he was struggling after 15. These aren't trying to win actions.

Obviously I'll watch every game for the rest of the season, and obviously even if we get relegated I sincerely hope that Gareth stays on. But after last night I think it's delusional to think we've got a chance of staying up. If you don't allow players to shoot, you don't score goals, you don't win games and you don't stay up.

I've been very wrong before (see Bayo signing) and I'll hold my hands up if I'm wrong again. I really hope I am.

Wow, cheer up fella, you sound really despondant.
    I think all of us have spells of feeling like that. But I was more like it in the 7 losses in a row spell, and the spells where we didn't even look like scoring.

Maybe I've long ago accepted the likelihood of where we finish though,

• @mooneyman said:
    Luton do have 3 players earning over £1m a year each so they are not exactly paupers!

Luton do?!
    20k a week?! Who!?

• @Malone said:

@mooneyman said:
    Luton do have 3 players earning over £1m a year each so they are not exactly paupers!

Luton do?!
    20k a week?! Who!?

https://salarysport.com/football/sky-bet-championship/luton/

• I found a list that suggests Horgan is on 10k...if he is he should be playing every game for 90 minutes! :smiley:

• @mooneyman said:

@Malone said:

@mooneyman said:

Luton do?!
    20k a week?! Who!?

Come on, you can't go off these sort of sites!

Look at Reading for goodness sake

McCleary on 21k, and Obita on 12k!

https://salarysport.com/football/sky-bet-championship/reading/

• edited February 2021

It should be okay to absolutely love GA, hold him in immense respect, and yet still disagree with him at times. A discussion forum is the perfect venue to go over those disagreements, as we all have differing perspectives. I don't think GA would be at all offended knowing many of us disagree with certain tactics and decisions. It makes for more interesting debate, and it is certainly not ingratitude to voice/write those disagreements, as long as they are done so without abuse, etc.

For me, there are times he gets it so spot on, budget be damned. Watford, the first Birmingham game, Cardiff, etc. Other times, I am shouting at the screen over the decision-making. I am sure he can live with my anonymous, amateur, periodic disapproval.

That all being said, I think fans can sometimes be downplayed as to the validity of our opinions. For example, my Arsenal-supporting friend was going on and on earlier in the season about who Arsenal should drop, who they should bring in, and how they should play. When Arteta finally did those things (initially by compulsion rather than choice) they improved immensely.

Obviously this is a different situation - GA has proven himself with the club, whereas Arteta is understandably callow. But I am never going to shirk away from having an opinion of a team I watch for countless hours, just because it runs contrary to the beloved manager.

• @Malone said:

@mooneyman said:

@Malone said:

@mooneyman said:

Luton do?!
    20k a week?! Who!?

I wouldn't be surprised at those figures, as Reading's wage budget 2 years ago was £40.75m according to the local paper.

• @mooneyman said:

@Malone said:

@mooneyman said:

@Malone said:

@mooneyman said:

Luton do?!
    20k a week?! Who!?

I wouldn't be surprised at those figures, as Reading's wage budget 2 years ago was £40.75m according to the local paper.

Shame Wycombe's isn't on there.

When they reckon Horgan is 10k we could quickly smell a rat.

• the rest of them I can sort of believe...but Horgan?
    https://footballleaguefc.com/wycombe-wanderers-player-wages/

• @Wendoverman said:
    the rest of them I can sort of believe...but Horgan?
    https://footballleaguefc.com/wycombe-wanderers-player-wages/

Some of those wages would look all over the place if true.

McCarthy on over double Grimmer?
    Tafazolli on almost treble Stewart?

JJ on 50k a year more than Stewart?

Stockdale on more than the keeper who actually plays?
    Freeman on more than Bloomfield, Thompson and equal to Grimmer?

McCleary on way more than almost everyone else, and signed on for a "Multi year" deal?

And obviously then onto Horgan!

• Anderson is on a nice little wage for a 20 year old 3rd choice keeper ! Fair play to him

• PBoPBo
    edited February 2021

@StrongestTeam said:
    The Kashket reference is interesting tbh because I do think Ainsworth still thinks Sticking Bayo and Kashket on and hoping for flick ons is the same as it was in previous years and a genuine threat, I struggle to see Bayo being anywhere near as effective although I hope to be proved wrong. I'd have Scotty up with Uche causing problems for people.

The flick-ons when Bayo comes on have barely worked one time in 15 at this level.

I'm sure Bayo would be more effective if the tactic was more along the lines of, win the header, bring the ball down, lay it off to Kashket, Fred or whoever, rather than head it backwards and hope for the best. And I'm sure that's how it's worked in the past...

• Talking of reasons to feel despondent, Rotherham are 3-0 up against Derby, putting us 10 points adrift from 23rd. Are we allowed to talk about must win games yet?

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Talking of reasons to feel despondent, Rotherham are 3-0 up against Derby, putting us 10 points adrift from 23rd. Are we allowed to talk about must win games yet?

Thanks for that evening cheer.
    What was Rotherham's record low points again?

I just want to see us win more than 5 games this season to prove some Oxford forum goon wrong!

• Everyone already called Birmingham must win, and we didn't, so why not keep the roll going?

• Think Rotherham got 23 points @Malone.
    On another point:
    Having watched the ‘highlights’ did anyone else notice at the point of the sending off, Fred decided to run out with the ball but Scotty was away and free and screening for the ball which was not going to come as Fred had his head down. That must be one of the potential chances Gaz mentioned.

• We are getting closer and closer to must win games. Even @glasshalffull would have to agree.