Skip to content

Match day thread: Brentford

Comments

• "I'd take the get out clause I've offered you"

Christ on a bike

And stop saying I'm slagging him off

• On a positive note, I could see us hammering some L1 teams next season! Especially if we keep Uche.

• Stop slagging him off and I’ll stop saying it.

• Given your expertise in the science behind it, what do you think of his penalty saving technique?

He's faced a fair few over the years

• Hang on, I'm going to get some popcorn

• @eric_plant said:
    Given your expertise in the science behind it, what do you think of his penalty saving technique?

He's faced a fair few over the years

Momentum is something most people learn about in primary school mate. Hardly the “science behind it”.

I think he’d decided which way to go, went that way, realised he’d gone the wrong way, and then because science he was unable to magically fly right down into the corner on the opposite side. An unremarkable penalty save attempt, that was so literally unremarkable that nobody remarked upon it. Except you.

I’m intrigued to know how you think he could have done the magic bit though.

• Toney was staring at Allsop waiting for him to dive, before simply passing it into the other corner.

Difficult for a keeper in that scenario, as the only way to combat that is to stay upright as long as possible, and then react quickly enough to go the right way. Chances are that a shot into the corner will then be impossible to get near though.

• Official statistics say that seven out of every ten penalties are successfully converted.

• @glasshalffull said:
    Official statistics say that seven out of every ten penalties are successfully converted.

It might be a perception thing, but I'm sure when I was a fair bit younger, a pen almost felt as good as a goal.

These days it "feels" a lot more are saved.

I dare say it is a mere perception, in that so many games are on tv, and we see so many pens saved now.

If @chairboyscentral was still about I dare say he'd confirm the stat hasn't really changed over the years

• I'd suspect Rocky's batting average is well below that ratio

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    I was just typing that I think McCarthy’s performance will be remembered as one of the all time worst. In years to come people will say ‘yeah I know xxxx had a bad game but it wasn’t as bad as McCarthy v Brentford in 2021’. Defensively inept. Set pieces embarrassing.

Perhaps takes over from Donechian (spelling?) as second worst fullback performance but, for the few who were there, Carlos Lopez can never be topped.

• @HolmerBlue said:
    Hang on, I'm going to get some popcorn

Get me some whilst your there.

• @drcongo said:

@eric_plant said:

I’m intrigued to know how you think he could have done the magic bit though.

I think Eric was expecting him to go superman in whatever direction Alsop picked to dive.

But this was one of those “who blinks first” penalties and alsop blinked by moving to his right and knew at that moment Toney would put it the other way.

Toney had scored before he struck the ball. Alsop knew it was a lost course as soon as he moved

• Taking a positive out today, Ikpeazu, Admiral and Fred look fantastic together.....

• Allsop has saved 4 of the 42 penalties he has faced. Matt Ingram has saved 7 out of 21, Jamal Blackman 9 out of 28 and David Stockdale 15 out of 43.

Seems strange Allsops statistics are so poor, when he is generally recognised more as a shot stopper.

• It always looks like Rocky can do nothing about the penalty, and he is certainly trying, but it does make me wonder if he has a "tell" he is unaware of, as he tends to dive the wrong way more often than not. A friend said his ratio is something like one save out of every 11 penalties, which is much worse than the average (one in between 3 and 4, I think).

I would not question his effort for a moment, but is he diving too soon, or unconsciously telegraphing in a way we don't know, but our opponents know from studying his tendencies?

• @mooneyman said:
    Allsop has saved 4 of the 42 penalties he has faced. Matt Ingram has saved 7 out of 21, Jamal Blackman 9 out of 28 and David Stockdale 15 out of 43.

Seems strange Allsops statistics are so poor, when he is generally recognised more as a shot stopper.

Any idea on Nicky Bull? He seemed to save quite a few for us.

I remember that, and also how many long rangers he seemed to concede.

• I'm surprised he's saved 4 to be honest

• I was always confident with Martin Taylor would save penalties.

• @Malone said:

@mooneyman said:
    Allsop has saved 4 of the 42 penalties he has faced. Matt Ingram has saved 7 out of 21, Jamal Blackman 9 out of 28 and David Stockdale 15 out of 43.

Any idea on Nicky Bull? He seemed to save quite a few for us.

I remember that, and also how many long rangers he seemed to concede.

7 out of 24

• Shame because if there was any penalty that deserved to be saved it was the one today.

• I am glad that ref is not a traffic cop - he would be handing out tickets to people who has just been t-boned.

• Who's in charge of our official twitter feed? The Ikpeazu Hearts tweet is cringing ?... embarrassing

• @Malone said:

The annoying thing with today, is that some superb forward play we put in will be almost totally forgotten.
    Arguably our best attacking half in an away game this season? Can't be many competing games!

Two back heels in the move where Uche’s shot struck the keeper and then hit the post! I think that would have put us 2-1 up. Might have been a different game

• @HCblue said:

@ChasHarps said:
    I think McCarthy's performance at Left back today, was one of the worst I've ever seen.
    Truly shocking.

Unfortunately true

I remember Charlie Comyn-Platt - that was definitely the worst

• I promise you, Carlos Lopez was on a level you couldn't even imagine.

No-one who was there will ever forget it

• Roger Johnson also put in a performance (maybe more than one?) at left back worse than McCarthy today.

I just don't understand how Sanchez could have seen Lopez in training for more than five minutes and thought he was good enough for the first team.

• He must have something about him to have talked his way into both the Wycombe first team and the Mexican Olympic squad with no footballing ability, and then gone on to be a successful journalist and a scout at Man Utd.

• Plenty of gnashing of teeth on the Gasroom tonight and that’s no great surprise as it’s never much fun getting turned over by 7 goals.

Of course, a sense of perspective is always required given its only one match in a 46 game season and was always one that we were unlikely to get much from.

However, for the first time since we got our act together in this division there was a whiff of shambles during the second half. Gareth will have his work cut out ahead of Tuesday night but time and again he’s shown he’s able to turn things round after a poor performance and I have every confidence.

Clearly the left side of the defence was all over the place today. It was a difficult afternoon for Jason McCarthy in a season in which he’s been shunted all over the place and rarely played his preferred position. He was poor today but he’s a decent enough footballer and he’ll come back from it.

I’m less sure that Darius Charles will. I’m afraid a player who gave us so much last season looks like he might have reached the end of the road. That’s very sad as he’s been an absolute hero but his positional play today was often poor and he increasingly lacks the physical capability to compete at this level, as typified by the first goal. On other occasions Brentford players just drifted past him without him being able to lay a glove on them. I think if I was Gareth I’d have a long hard think about using Giles Phillips ahead of Darius next time we’re short in the middle as pace and athleticism go an awful long way in this division.

Also we need to tighten up. Having a midfield diamond in which Fred sat behind the front two looked pretty bold at outset and so it proved. Yes there was some great attacking play but there was also a bloody great hole in the middle of the park and eventually it told.

• McCarthy against Swansea was worse than today