Skip to content

Player of the season so far?

Just out of curiosity I was wondering who people think our player of the season has been so far?

Also is there a particular player that has surprised you with their performance so far (perhaps they’ve been better than expected or they’ve underperformed)?

Comments

• edited December 2020

Thompson for POTS, Blooms for the surprise package - has adjusted to the level after looking horribly out of his depth and had an excellent game against Coventry.

• Knight for me has been our outstanding player.
    As for surprise package, either Thompson or Allsop

• I think Thompson and Allsop are shouts for both categories actually. Particularly pleased to see Rocky do so well after all the talk of how much we needed a new number one.

• Thompson Player of the Season so far for me. Absolute class. With him we have a chance of staying up, without him not so much. I’m a bit worried it’s a groin/hip flexor injury though so he may be out for some time.

• Knight for me

• Thompson for best player so far

Kashket for being surprisingly effective at this level.

• Knight for me has looked class since he arrived, sadly Thompson has missed too many games but has been excellent when he's played.

Surprise is possibly Bloomfield who has looked very comfortable when he plays, or Mehmeti coming from nowhere and looked to have some nice touches.

• edited December 2020

I don't think anyone's really been disappointing - Fred took a while to get up and running and maybe we'd have expected a bit more, but he's had good games (Birmingham, Forest, Derby, Preston, Coventry (apart from the miss)).

• Knight for me closely followed by Stewart as they hav e have both been outstanding forming a superb partnership in defence.

• Knight and Stewart... Thompson hasnt played last 4 or 5 is it ?

• Knight consistently good. Thompson I've always rated but think he has looked comfortable from the get-go....so perhaps he is the surprise. Pleased for both of them and pretty sure if he has any choice in the matter first on the team sheet Knight will stick around. (Stewart is still a class act though...and like it or not Bloomfield has not looked out of place when he has played.)

• Where does that horrible word ‘get-go’ come from?

• edited December 2020

@micra said:
    Where does that horrible word ‘get-go’ come from?

It's relatively recent apparently: https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/335638/where-does-get-go-come-from

• edited December 2020

@micra sorry. I'm more relaxed about my language in a non-work environment. And to find out it is an 'Americanism' is even more distressing.

• Thompson / Dennis / Knight for consistently high performance levels, though I feel bad for including a couple of loanees in that. Maybe odd, but I think I'd have Grimmer as the surprise package - he was a solid right-back for most of last season, went up several gears in the playoffs, and then this season has been playing out of his skin. His crossing and his positional awareness has been superb and he looks incredibly comfortable as a Championship player.

• I keep forgetting this is Grimmer's second spell in the Championship. He does look right at home. Late charge into the Scotland squad for the Euros?

• The more the season goes on the more Jack Grimmer is emerging into a potential Wycombe owned player of the season. Knight has been fantastic but that is what I would expect from a 23 year old PL loanee.

Surprise of the season from last seasons regulars:

Allsop head and shoulders above the rest.

I'd have to add JJ in the mix, given how little cover he has been given at times I think he's done well considering his lack of pace. Sometimes you notice how good someone is when they are not there, McCarthy showed how vital JJ is in the one game he didn't start.

• I'm going for Grimmer as player of the season due to his consistent high level of player. Others have played better in short spells (Knight, Thompson and Stewart) but Grimmer gives a high level every game.

Biggest suprise for me is a lack of goals from Horgan and Fred. Can't say I am that surprised about any player being better than I thought. We have a pretty special squad again.

• Grimmer not a bad shout , Thompson hasn't played enough.

• There are a number of players that I am surprised have made the step up and don't look out of place in the Championship. Kashket, Thompson, Stewart, Grimmer and Allsop all look like they are at home. So when we lose 2 of those from the spine of the team it's not surprising that the performances have not quite got to where we want them.

• Allsopp in the mix too, he's certainly been busy.

• Rocky for me, his confidence levels seem to have shot up. After him, probably Josh Knight.
    Having said that, it just shows the huge step up between League 1 and the Championship, in so far as the majority of our players have massively increased their performance levels, and we're still near the bottom of the table. Just need that extra little bit of quality, especially up front.

• Josh Knight, Anthony Stewart and Curtis Thompson battling it out for the top 3 for me.

Wouldn't be at all surprised if by the time we're having this conversation in May Garath McLeary wins it by a landslide

• I’m not into singling out players and certainly not into nominating players of the season at this stage but I very much agree with the comments about JJ and how his brief absence demonstrated his importance. One aspect of his play this season, no doubt resulting from the fact that he makes far fewer forward runs than he used to in the lower divisions, has been the number of powerful headed clearances he has been making, so much so that I could see him as a very good left sided central defender if ever the need arose. Or even on the left of a back three.

• @eric_plant said:
    Wouldn't be at all surprised if by the time we're having this conversation in May Garath McLeary wins it by a landslide

Me neither. That man has solid gold feet and boots made of pure magic.

• Had to smile @eric_plant. Brownie points for the ‘a’ in Garath then you make him sound a bit leery with his surname! Have to agree that he’s been brilliant. A real handful. Hope he stays fit (and well).

• Yes, McLeary has been excellent, Horgan has shown flashes, and JJ though targeted for pace has made some great defensive tackles and headers. If Uche is as good as we hope he is, we still have a chance...

• edited December 2020

JJ has done really well to make the step up, although he has been caught out getting a bit to adventurous recently, resulting in a couple of goals (although admittedly he wasn't covered particularly well on either occasion).

• Wheeler is my player of the season so far. Wherever he's asked to play he excels. He's dependable, calm, creative and clever. Exactly the sort of leader we need on the field. Thompson shares many of those attributes too, if he'd played a few more he would probably have popped Wheeler.

I don't quite share the love for Knight that everyone else has, personally I feel more comfortable with Stewart in defense and look forward to seeing more from Tafazolli. Knight looks good coming forward but I can't remember any of those actually leading to a goal, but they do leave the defense exposed, negating his other strong point which is his positioning in the box.

Finally put me also down for McCleary coming through to win POTS by the end of the campaign.... as long as we start properly utilising him on the wing.

• Wheeler is definitely the unsung hero of the team.