Skip to content

Match day thread: Bournemouth

Comments

• We did crowd the ref after that tackle on Onyedinma vs Stoke. It's hypocrisy to call out Bournemouth on that last night.

• @eric_plant They did. And it felt like part of a counter-productive strategy that night that was winning us no favours from the ref. Maybe Bournemouth have learned to do it selectively.

• @eric_plant said:
    Does anyone think that had that tackle been on Pattison last night that our players would have reacted any differently by the way?

@eric_plant said:
    I need to watch the Stoke highlights again. I'm sure our players crowded the ref after that challenge by Cousins, but maybe my memory is playing tricks on me

Exactly this.

• Good to see the usual fuck knuckles on Facebook and Twitter having a couple of days off from slagging off Samuel to scapegoat Pattison. Not like this is the most successful Wycombe side in history or anything.

• uche looked excellent when he came on....a mobile version of Bayo (obviously not as good in the air as Bayo yet )

• Message from my Bournemouth supporting mate this morning..."Before you start, I don't think it was a sending off either- an 'Orange' card at best. Indeed SSN showed an incident in another game where a player went over the top of the ball and trod on a players ankle (ouch!)and only got a yellow" . That's from the most biased fan you could want to meet. Their players made a meal of it - ours would have done the same. Seemed very little concern from anyone about the poor player who had just been on the receiving end of the 'dangerous' tackle.

• It was a little bit Jason Cousinsesque though.

• Anyone know where Adeniran is?

• these partisan football fans eh? @eric_plant bigging up and defending their own team in whatever circumstances. Makes your eyes roll.

• I agree with @chairboyscentral and @aloysius about Alex Pattison’s determination to repay GA’s faith in him. He overpaid with that challenge and will suffer the short term consequences but we have already seen his strength of character and his determination to improve physically during the first lockdown and he will have learned another important lesson last night. He will definitely ‘come good’.

• It's hard to make a judgement about the greatness of Uche and Nick F as they've had so little time on the pitch their reputations have soared. We certainly need some players to step up out of the shadows to be heroes of the second half of the season.

• @drcongo said:
    It was a little bit Jason Cousinsesque though.

In that it was a tackle Jason would have made 100 or more times and not been sent off for.

Pattison's foot was actually below the foot of the Bournemouth player and below the ball too. He was a fraction late and if that's a red card bring it on. Gape got sent off for a similar tackle at Brentford. I've seen other similar tackles by both Wycombe and opposition players that haven't been shown a red card.

• Matt Cecil was talking up the possibility of us returning to near full-strength by Christmas (although I think that was before Gape went off). How much of that was a rough calculation based on good 'insider information' and how much was just plain old optimism, who knows...?

• I'm not sure we'll ever have a fully fit squad this season. The level they have to play at and train coupled with the tightly packed games and Covid issues make it impossible.
    We are doing ok with what we have and need to plan to have similar issues all season. We won't be alone in that.

I am surprised some clubs aren't calling for a relaxing of the 25 msn squad rules. Maybe some sort of NFL style injured reserve and/or practice squad ideas.

• A bit of both, I should think @LeedsBlue.

• There was a nice, non-Pravda moment in the commentary yesterday after Gape had gone off, when @bluntphil said something to the effect that doubtless Ainsworth would tell him after the game that Gape was in contention for Saturday. Given Matt Cecil was his co-commentator, it was nice to imagine the wry smile that might have passed between them.

• edited December 2020

I was thinking it must be so hard to stay fit after an injury this season, given that once a player is back, the temptation is going to be to play them in every game (the key players anyway) - and the schedule is obviously ridiculous. Hasn't every player who's been injured and come back then had another spell out? Apart from McCarthy.

• Also, injuries are bound to hit us harder as our sports science set-up and all that won't be anything like that of much of the league. An injured reserve list is a good idea though.

• edited December 2020

@Right_in_the_Middle said:

@drcongo said:
    It was a little bit Jason Cousinsesque though.

In that it was a tackle Jason would have made 100 or more times and not been sent off for.

Pattison's foot was actually below the foot of the Bournemouth player and below the ball too. He was a fraction late and if that's a red card bring it on. Gape got sent off for a similar tackle at Brentford. I've seen other similar tackles by both Wycombe and opposition players that haven't been shown a red card.

The ref was a bit harsh, but Pattison's given the ref a decision to make when a tackle wasn't necessary from a tactical point of view. He isn't the first young player we have had make an unnecessary tackle like that and put us down to 10-men, and I dare say he won't be the last.

• @Watford_Blue did you ask your Bournemouth mate about the couple of incidents between their two players? It would have ruined the win for me, but perhaps this sort of thing is part and parcel of the level they aspire to.

• Hopefully we don't embarrass ourselves by appealing the red card, it might even result in an increase ban (for wasting everyone's time with a groundless appeal), tho based on some of the pre-match comments perhaps that's what people are hoping for! That type of 'challenge' - a lunge from behind, going through an opponent, is a red card offence in any level of football

• Obviously the result was different - and getting that first point felt like a massive weight lifted - but the Watford performance prompted a bit of a run. Fingers crossed last night can do similar, especially with players coming back.

• Who are these prescient people making pre-match comments @Doob ?

• @Doob said:
    Hopefully we don't embarrass ourselves by appealing the red card, it might even result in an increase ban (for wasting everyone's time with a groundless appeal), tho based on some of the pre-match comments perhaps that's what people are hoping for! That type of 'challenge' - a lunge from behind, going through an opponent, is a red card offence in any level of football

Whatever anyone says about the challenge, I don't know how you can possibly say that was from behind!

• Derby 2-0 up against Swansea at half-time. Saturday might be about to become even more must-win.

• @chairboyscentral - totally agree. We need to win otherwise we will start to get adrift.

• Most definitely.
    We rode our luck for a good couple of months to stay within 3 points of escaping that zone but we knew it wouldn't last.

• @Watford_Blue said:
    Message from my Bournemouth supporting mate this morning..."Before you start, I don't think it was a sending off either- an 'Orange' card at best. Indeed SSN showed an incident in another game where a player went over the top of the ball and trod on a players ankle (ouch!)and only got a yellow" . That's from the most biased fan you could want to meet. Their players made a meal of it - ours would have done the same. Seemed very little concern from anyone about the poor player who had just been on the receiving end of the 'dangerous' tackle.

@Watford_Blue said:
    Message from my Bournemouth supporting mate this morning..."Before you start, I don't think it was a sending off either- an 'Orange' card at best. Indeed SSN showed an incident in another game where a player went over the top of the ball and trod on a players ankle (ouch!)and only got a yellow" . That's from the most biased fan you could want to meet. Their players made a meal of it - ours would have done the same. Seemed very little concern from anyone about the poor player who had just been on the receiving end of the 'dangerous' tackle.

From my Bournemouth supporting friend
    ‘well very difficult to get through your solid defence last night but did it in the end with a piece of magic from David Brooks who is a class act. You played alot better when your player was sent off, it was two footed, so sorry that's a red card at any level. Our goalkeeper had to make some good saves to keep our lead.

• @Slaphead said:

@Watford_Blue said:

@Watford_Blue said:

From my Bournemouth supporting friend
    ‘well very difficult to get through your solid defence last night but did it in the end with a piece of magic from David Brooks who is a class act. You played alot better when your player was sent off, it was two footed, so sorry that's a red card at any level. Our goalkeeper had to make some good saves to keep our lead.

So far we've had "it was from behind" now we're having "two footed".

He slid in unwisely at pace. That alone can be a red. But it was neither of the above.

• My first thought watching it live (or however many seconds behind iFollow is) was that it was a probable sending off. Pattison’s apologetic instant reaction demonstrates that he knew that whatever the intent, it was a dangerous tackle.

I was hoping the OTT reaction of the Bournemouth players may have made the ref less likely to send him off (to reassert his authority) but no problem with the decision