Skip to content

Match day thread: Bournemouth

Comments

• Pattinson very silly but not a red in my opinion. Need to start Uche as Akinfenwa, looks really tired legs and deserves a break in order to refresh himself

• edited December 2020

Needless to say the drone army are all over Pattison on Twitter

• @aloysius said:
    Uche in that 10 minute cameo showed what we've been needing so much - a mobile target man able to turn and run at defenders and scare them. And Horgan and McCleary showed us how much more effective we can be when we ask our wingers to use their pace and trickery to run up the channels, towards the box and chip in clever balls. Oh, and Freeman showed us how much more enjoyable it is to have a midfielder pick a creative forward pass and play the ball on the grass. This is how we can stay up. Let's finally start playing to our strengths, treating ourselves as equals in this division and using the talents this squad contains rather than constantly reverting to ugly, nervous hoofing.

Saturday's midfield will be a dilemma. We have to revert to 442 now. Assuming Gape, Thompson and Adeniran will join Pattison as unavailable, I'd look to shift McCarthy back to defensive central midfield, alongside Freeman in the creative role, with Horgan and McCleary on the wings, keep Bloomfield in reserve and restore Charles to central defence alongside Knight, assuming he's ready to come back into the side.

We certainly need to mix it up.
    But there was a spell where JJ had the ball - first reaction was to knock it long - didn't - and tried to play some intricate stuff with Freeman. They both got it wrong and within 10seconds Bournemouth were through and almost scored.

• @Malone said:

@aloysius said:
    Uche in that 10 minute cameo showed what we've been needing so much - a mobile target man able to turn and run at defenders and scare them. And Horgan and McCleary showed us how much more effective we can be when we ask our wingers to use their pace and trickery to run up the channels, towards the box and chip in clever balls. Oh, and Freeman showed us how much more enjoyable it is to have a midfielder pick a creative forward pass and play the ball on the grass. This is how we can stay up. Let's finally start playing to our strengths, treating ourselves as equals in this division and using the talents this squad contains rather than constantly reverting to ugly, nervous hoofing.

Saturday's midfield will be a dilemma. We have to revert to 442 now. Assuming Gape, Thompson and Adeniran will join Pattison as unavailable, I'd look to shift McCarthy back to defensive central midfield, alongside Freeman in the creative role, with Horgan and McCleary on the wings, keep Bloomfield in reserve and restore Charles to central defence alongside Knight, assuming he's ready to come back into the side.

We certainly need to mix it up.
    But there was a spell where JJ had the ball - first reaction was to knock it long - didn't - and tried to play some intricate stuff with Freeman. They both got it wrong and within 10seconds Bournemouth were through and almost scored.

There's a balance, how many times in the last few games have we belted it forward for it to come straight back?

• @chairboyscentral said:
    This screeching Bournemouth fan right by the mic is doing my nut in.

I think they said that it was Gareth's daughter Scarlett who lives on the south coast and was there with Pete Couhig as the only WWFC support tonight.

• @AlanCecil said:

@chairboyscentral said:

I think they said that it was Gareth's daughter Scarlett who lives on the south coast and was there with Pete Couhig as the only WWFC support tonight.

There was definitely a Bournemouth fan too!

• @chairboyscentral said:

@AlanCecil said:

@chairboyscentral said:

There was definitely a Bournemouth fan too!

Matt said there was one whiney Bournemouth fan and Ainsworth junior was returning fire

• I can't for one minute think that GA will appeal the red card. I will have to look at it again, but my first thought was red as the ref will claim he was out of control.

• @AlanCecil said:

@chairboyscentral said:

Yeah it most definitely wasn't Gaz's daughter irritating everyone with her screeching!
    Her support with Pete's was sensible volume and frequency!

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    I can't for one minute think that GA will appeal the red card. I will have to look at it again, but my first thought was red as the ref will claim he was out of control.

It was at a bit of a funny angle but he was attacking and had to go for it, it wasn't a wild lash or a deliberate hit, I'd say there's a fair chance of overturning it. With bare bones left we probably need to appeal.

• Often we are exciting when its forced on us.

• edited December 2020

Totally agree with the second tweet of Gareth and can go with the first bearing in mind his perspective.

• Great team spirit tonight. If we had finished with 11 on the field I feel that we just may have come away with at least a point.
    We made the top of the league team look pretty ordinary.
    Very proud of the lads. Knight, McCleary, Horgan Ikpeazu and Freeman looked very good.
    There is a long way to go and we CAN turn things around.

• Disagree with GA on that one, looked a red card from the second he went off the ground I'm afraid. Pattison was having a really good game up until that and yes, we have had players go in for challenges on ours like that and not get punished this season, but that doesn't take away from the fact it was reckless and a bit silly.

The Bournemouth players' (Begovic in particular) reactions were shameful and certainly influenced the decision, but Pattison could have counted himself very lucky to have escaped with yellow there. There's absolutely no way that gets rescinded, would be a total waste of our time to even consider.

• Great effort against a top team, what team morale we have compared to them ! At the start it was a hard watch but got better and better, I'm not as convinced with Pattison's performance as others are, maybe he was better because he did nothing... the sending off was a red, a tackle like that against a Wycombe player and we would all be screaming at the ref to send him off ! No need for it either in their half.
    Wish we were able to start McCleary and Horgan together rather than swap one with the other. Actually though Bayo looked better tonight than last few games, he won more headers and got into better positions, Uche's brief cameo was also promising. But... special mention, as I'm not sure if anyone has, for Allsopp !! Thought he was fantastic tonight, and although our MoM was probably McCleary, Allsopp ran him a close second

• That was the third consecutive match that Mr Donohue has produced a red card.

• However, what a performance from the boys tonight. Freeman has to start on Saturday - even if Pattison and Gape were available he should be playing on the basis of his performance tonight. McCleary, Horgan and Knight brilliant again, and excited to see Uche get on. If fit, I'd have him starting on Saturday too. Huge game against QPR - play like tonight and we really can get that 3 points.

• I'm sorry but there's no point at all appealing that one, it'd be a huge waste of time and money. That's not to say I think it's a red, but the ones that get rescinded are completely obvious miscarriages of justice. There's enough doubt in Pattison's challenge that it'll just be upheld.

Away from the red though that was a vintage Ainsworth / Wycombe performance. In League One or Two that's at least a point all day long, but at this level that gap in quality just gets found out again and again.

Oh and McCleary is real class. At least if we go down we can hopefully take him with us.

• Very rare to see Ainsworth makes comments like that. Even when we've been obviously wronged in the past he's usually not one to focus on the negatives or blame anyone.

Very understandable as we were right in that game - we'd shut them out and I for one thought that we were going to sneak it.
    McClearly was having a stormer.

• A game Saturday and then we actually have a whole week without one! Hopefully we can get some big players fit and well by then.

• Have to agree about Rocky he made a couple of saves with the ball coming through a load of players that Phil suggested were simple or easy but didnt look it to me.

• I'm enjoying the season so far. Much more than I was expecting after the Blackburn and Swansea games. The way we're playing and competing in every game. What a gutsy performance tonight and we created chances as well. Dont think it was a red, the reaction of their players to Pattison's challenge was OTT and got him sent off. Thought Pattison was doing well up until then.

• Cherries fans booing their goal scorer after the late fracas ( can i say fracas?) because Surridge is 'one of their own' was bizarre.

• The ref will hide behind the 'out of control' angle, but anyone who has played even a park game knows that wasnt a challenge that was gone injure anyone. But at the same time the Bournemouth players reaction, is not dissimilar to what weve done in the past.
    The step up, is seeing us being 'out cheated' on a regular basis.

• edited December 2020

Talking to a Watford-supporting relative and apparently Bournemouth have a reputation for aggressively intimidating refs like that.

• Very encouraging performance tonight, although Bournemouth were dreadful. They were petulant and childish, and put in an absolutely clichéd “we only need to turn up” sort of display. That’s not to take anything away from us. We were the better side for decent spells, even when (or arguably particularly when) we were down to 10 men. To compete like that against such a strong Bournemouth side is hugely impressive.

Whatever you think of Bournemouth’s reaction to Pattison’s tackle, the nature of the challenge itself was completely unnecessary and a ridiculous thing to do. I don’t believe that we have grounds to appeal. If we do, I am almost certain we’ll lose. Not because we’re Wycombe, but because it was very loose and potentially dangerous. That’s not to say I don’t think the ref was influenced by their players either, I’m not at all sure he was going to brandish a red card until all of the nonsense afterwards. Equally, there is no doubt at all that we’d have reacted in the same way if the roles were reversed. Anyone suggesting otherwise really does have the light and dark blue tinted spectacles on. And I can tell you from experience, they hurt your eyes.

• Regardless of whether or not the red card was worthy of an appeal, it affected the outcome of the game as they scored four minutes later and we had to play 25 minutes with ten men. I think we can safely say that the reaction of the Bournemouth players helped the referee to make up his mind. Despite that, what a great effort and we are not out of our depth in this division.

• Phil's just revealed that Uche has recovered from COVID too