Skip to content

Match day thread: Bournemouth

Comments

• Ainsworth, Alsopp and a few others looking very dejected after the FT whistle. They should be holding their heads up high after that in my opinion.

• Lots to be proud of tonight. Bournemouth have got some great players, but they'd do better if they focused on scoring goals rather than acting like they were in a Nike commercial, complaining and arguing with each other.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    He raised hands there, right? That's a red whether it's your own teammate or not.

Could quite easily have been trouble for both if our lads weren't so fair minded.

• Clearly disappointed. Understandable.

• @Wetherby_blue said:
    Ref bottled it, how did the Bournemouth players not get booked for starting with each other

Our lads took the heat out of it and they got away with it.

• The defence was excellent today. Did not deserve that result but 1-0 against 97 million quids worth of ex premier league/international players is no shame.

• @Wetherby_blue said:
    Ref bottled it, how did the Bournemouth players not get booked for starting with each other

Exactly.

• @Shev said:
    Stay classy, Bournemouth! I did not think I would finish a loss by laughing.

Me neither. That level of volatility when you’re winning says something about team spirit. A poor run might expose some cracks there.

• Ainsworth clearly telling begovic he wasn’t impressed with him getting Pattison sent off.

Well played tonight, I think we were fantastic overall. Worked out socks off and really gave it a go when down to 10.

• Thoroughly enjoyed that. Every one of those players should go home with their head held high, but Horgan, McCleary, Freeman and Knight all deserve man of the match. At least with our midfield options depleted Freeman might get a start or two - calmest player on the pitch by miles.

• Gaz visibly seething there - and rightly so.

• Very proud of that performance - against the odds in so many ways.

• Good to see Gaz getting stuck into their keeper for his role in that gamesmanship

• So proud of the team today, just didn't give up, kept playing and trying to get the equalizer, have to feel for them not getting something from that game

• Just seeing Gareth have a go at the ref as all walk off, and then their keeper, who led the charge to the referee before the red, afterwards. Clearly very unhappy. Can’t say I’ve seen that from him after a game before.

• We've been lucky for weeks that no-one inthe bottom gang of 4 could win a game - until tonight. Forest win and we're 5 points off now.

• Contrast Begovic’s behaviour with Jacobson calming down their players during their little scrap.

• @Chris said:
    Contrast Begovic’s behaviour with Jacobson calming down their players during their little scrap.

Exactly this. Our players could easily have allowed them to continue - and every chance one or both get sent off.

• Whatever anyone says, QPR is a must win now - 5 point gap to Forest after they won tonight. Rangers on terrible run of form. Play like we did tonight and we can do it - though whether we have enough fit midfielders is anyone's guess.

• edited December 2020

@Chris said:
    Contrast Begovic’s behaviour with Jacobson calming down their players during their little scrap.

Equally, for a closer comparison, compare their behaviour tonight with our team a couple of games ago. Players surrounded the ref both times. No meaningful difference. It's horrible, unsporting behaviour. By all means be critical of it - it's a blight on the sport and puts me off watching it - but let's not overegg the pudding by claiming the moral high ground.

We were great tonight, by the way. :-)

• Really good performance, proud of the lads tonight. Great effort from everyone. That sending off was an absolute sickner. Didn't for a moment think it was a red and I'm sure it was the way OTT reaction of the Bournemouth players that persuaded the ref to send Pattison off. Yes, we would do similar, but not as aggressively as that.

Saturday will be an interesting team selection with so many out in midfield. Such a shame for Pattison, who had played so well. Freeman looked impressive though, so I'm sure he'll have earned himself a start.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Whatever anyone says, QPR is a must win now - 5 point gap to Forest after they won tonight. Rangers on terrible run of form. Play like we did tonight and we can do it - though whether we have enough fit midfielders is anyone's guess.

This time last year, the top 5 in our league were Wycombe, Ipswich, Peterborough, Bristol Rovers and Blackpool. Really don't think you can call any game "must win". We all know how many were still in the playoff places by the time the season was curtailed. Long way to go.

• Unfortunate and heartening, nobody gave us a chance and we weren't miles off nicking something despite everything that went on. Bournemouth have fine players and will do well but should remember they have to put in some effort.
    Let's hope Uche can play a big part now, I thought Bayo was well off the pace unfortunately to a level you can't really have against better players with 11v11 let alone 10, or even 9 when Scott went down. Good to see Nick, McCleary (MotM) and Horgan also showing what they can offer.
    Never a red, and though he'd never admit it I find it unbelievable the ref was even considering a red until their lot piped up.

• Was it Peterborough?

• Some performance that. First half keeping it tight then second half playing proper football. Factor in the injury to Gape and the sending off and it was a real gutsy performance.

Got to admit, before the season started I was expecting the better and much more expensive teams to take us apart and was a little scared of what the season would actually hold.

A fighting, narrow defeat to a top of the table team really shows that we don’t really have anything to fear.

This is the first time i have actually thought that we might stay up, although we do need a bit of luck.

I did think it was a sending off though but the Bournemouth players response was pathetic. I didn’t see one player looking to see how their colleague actually was after a bad tackle

So proud of us though

• If it really shouldn't have been a red we'll appeal it and it will be rescinded

• We are finding new ways to be gutted at single goal defeats aren't we.

But unfortunately the time has finally come after months of somehow avoiding it - that we're now 2 whole wins from safety - and with 2 wins in 19 games it's not like that's an easy thing.

Still - optimism runs eternal..and if we can beat QPR we can bridge that 8 point gap to a mere 5.
    If we lose - we'll find some other fanciful way of how we can stay up.

• Proud of a proper team performance agsinst a bunch of highly paid and talented individuals. Shame the one team on the pitch didn't get what they deserved. We got better as the game went on the two quality individual moments by their 7 and their keeper turned the game.

Gutted by the result and fed up by yet another referee falling for the scream and fall routine time and time again. If Pattison's foul is a red card every game I have no complaints. I'm pretty sure it only happens when a team at the bottom plays at a top side though

• Uche in that 10 minute cameo showed what we've been needing so much - a mobile target man able to turn and run at defenders and scare them. And Horgan and McCleary showed us how much more effective we can be when we ask our wingers to use their pace and trickery to run up the channels, towards the box and chip in clever balls. Oh, and Freeman showed us how much more enjoyable it is to have a midfielder pick a creative forward pass and play the ball on the grass. This is how we can stay up. Let's finally start playing to our strengths, treating ourselves as equals in this division and using the talents this squad contains rather than constantly reverting to ugly, nervous hoofing.

Saturday's midfield will be a dilemma. We have to revert to 442 now. Assuming Gape, Thompson and Adeniran will join Pattison as unavailable, I'd look to shift McCarthy back to defensive central midfield, alongside Freeman in the creative role, with Horgan and McCleary on the wings, keep Bloomfield in reserve and restore Charles to central defence alongside Knight, assuming he's ready to come back into the side.

• edited December 2020

We've given that a good old go, a pity we didn't nick an equaliser for our efforts.
    Before the comical cherry-on-cherry incident at the end, a bit of play that exemplified just how lacking Bournemouth are in terms of tenacity and spirit was the slightly over-hit through ball on the left that their winger just gave up on because the pass wasn't inch perfect, even though he could well have forced a corner off Grimmer. It's unthinkable that a Wycombe player wouldn't have chased that lost cause like their life depended on it.

Also pleasing was a distinct lack of unforced errors from us. If we cut those out and keep competing we are always in with a chance in these games, even against teams that consider themselves to be Premier League teams in waiting like Bournemouth.