Skip to content

Match day thread: Fleetwood (Second Leg)

18910111214»

Comments

• RITM, I am mainly referring to the League One Facebook page where we get a lot of criticism from opposition fans. You will have also read the ‘What the opposition thinks’ thread that used to appear on the Gasroom. I guess it’s all down to the vocal minority who populate social media and although it doesn’t matter, I still get annoyed when we don’t get the credit we deserve. No big deal, but irritating nonetheless.

• None of my business, but from what you post on here about it I reckon you'd be happier if you didn't go on Facebook.

It just seems to wind you up

• @Right_in_the_Middle do you not dip into other fan forums and listen to opposition manager pre and post interviews? If you don't think we have a label as an anti-football, long ball, agricultural predictable team with poor quality cheating players by most of the League One and League Two fans I want to live in your world. It's true most real fans know, as a lot of us on here know, you have to cut your cloth as a small club, but that goes over the head of the majority I think. Witness the meltdowns by forums when gaz is touted as their new boss...

• I think any successful side will always have something to be picked at. It's either that it was too easy as they had too much money, or that they played bad football. In the end most reasonable fans can recognise the success of the opposition, even if luck was involved.

I think at League 1 level the football quality criticisms are often quite strange. Paul Warne struggled to say Wycombe deserved to go through on Monday which was interesting, after we won the tie 6-3.

The PPG issue this season will be used to belittle our achievements, but it was really the only way to settle the table if the matches couldn't be completed. The semi final win demonstrates we haven't just been lucky this season though.

• Exactly @Wendoverman .
    Some posters would argue white is black if glass full is on the other side.

• @Malone said:
    Exactly @Wendoverman .
    Some posters would argue white is black if glass full is on the other side.

aaaah.

• indeed @WildWestFC and we were at the top for a long period, were eighth with a game in hand and with a decent run-in.

• edited July 2020

Only team in the league to be in the top six after each game

• I had a go at trying to separate the facts from the myth about our bad reputation last year

https://d3d4football.com/the-chairboys-darkarts-debunking-the-myth/

• @WildWestFC said:

I think at League 1 level the football quality criticisms are often quite strange. Paul Warne struggled to say Wycombe deserved to go through on Monday which was interesting, after we won the tie 6-3.

I think Paul Warne did himself no favours whatsoever on Monday night. His reaction / comments to us going through seemed to be through gritted teeth at best. I would have understood his reaction if he had been in Darren Ferguson's position but i'm pretty certain they have have benefited from the PPG solution to the season and were certainly not put out by out

• I thought that too - especially strange coming from the manager of a side who succeeded with such a direct style.

• @eric_plant said:
    None of my business, but from what you post on here about it I reckon you'd be happier if you didn't go on Facebook.

It just seems to wind you up

Part of my job is knowing what fans are saying and thinking so I am across most media outlets for that reason.

• Fair point

• @PhilSlatter said:
    I had a go at trying to separate the facts from the myth about our bad reputation last year

What a fine example of good research and journalism.
    It’s exactly what I meant when I said that if you have a label in football it’s difficult to get rid of it. Opposition fans simply repeat what they’ve seen and heard from other fans, hence our reputation has undeservedly perpetuated.

• @eric_plant said:
    Fair point

Was that a mike drop from @glasshalffull there? :wink:

• @glasshalffull said:
    RITM, I am mainly referring to the League One Facebook page where we get a lot of criticism from opposition fans. You will have also read the ‘What the opposition thinks’ thread that used to appear on the Gasroom. I guess it’s all down to the vocal minority who populate social media and although it doesn’t matter, I still get annoyed when we don’t get the credit we deserve. No big deal, but irritating nonetheless.

I had to leave all those groups because they're full of glue eaters. I would advise you to do the same, you wont miss them.

• @Wendoverman said:
    @Right_in_the_Middle do you not dip into other fan forums and listen to opposition manager pre and post interviews? If you don't think we have a label as an anti-football, long ball, agricultural predictable team with poor quality cheating players by most of the League One and League Two fans I want to live in your world. It's true most real fans know, as a lot of us on here know, you have to cut your cloth as a small club, but that goes over the head of the majority I think. Witness the meltdowns by forums when gaz is touted as their new boss...

Not really ever been that bothered by other club fans forums but I do listen to opposition managers occasionally. For the most part they mention our style but I suppose it's how you want to react about whether it is disrespectful or damming. I might depend on whether you personally support the style or are a little bit secretly embarrassed by it.

I have thought for years that the more passing you have in your play the more technically gifted players you need and the more expensive it gets employing them.

I am so proud of the current Wycombe squad and I think its a big step forward if more people are noticing us and getting annoyed we can achieve things when they can't. Success is more often gained by looking inward and whilst others are frothing at the mouth about us we can pull further away from them whilst not throwing as much money away

• I remember a point that (I think) @drcongo made earlier in the season about learning to appreciate our defending. There have been several games this season, including Monday's, where we've been more or less under the cosh but I've noticed that a man has been beaten or there have been two or three nice passes and a gap has threatened to open up in our defence, but it has closed down before there was a chance to exploit it.

• The social media phenomenon gives an inflated platform for all sorts of fringe views. One of my best mates is a Sunderland fan who although I have gently winded him up, I'm sure doesn't share the same views as some morons. Most Oxford fans are good reasonable people as well.

• edited July 2020

I am not truly bothered by the criticism on a personal level, but more saddened that PL fans, despite how soulless that division can be, mostly were able to set aside any pettiness and really rejoice in the Leicester story, which was accomplished by allowing the other team most of the possession, and counterattacking effectively. Rather than being grumpy, most fans were able to see the wonderful story behind the achievement.

Unfortunately, many League One fans seem unable to set aside their own disappointments and applaud a seismic achievement by a plucky club. Yes, our achievements shine an embarrassing light on their failures sometimes, but as a fan of the game itself, you would think supporters could compartmentalize their own club's situation and salute something extraordinary. Instead, I see everything from us being a "scummy club" to hopes we go out of business for having the temerity to be at least as good as they are.

I can sleep at night, and there is a comical side to all the impotent mutterings, but I still find it sad for the game when fans can't acknowledge something special.

• @Shev but you forget their 'failures' are actually our cheating! :smiley:

• @Shev "A plucky club"? Us? That's as nothing to Oxford's achievement. They've only been in the Football League since 2010: much pluckier, I'd say.

• I've been enjoying trolling moaning Peterborough fans on Twitter by pointing out that if they wanted to go up, they could have tried to get more points in the first half of the season. Worked for little Wycombe.

• @glasshalffull said:

@PhilSlatter said:
    I had a go at trying to separate the facts from the myth about our bad reputation last year

What a fine example of good research and journalism.
    It’s exactly what I meant when I said that if you have a label in football it’s difficult to get rid of it. Opposition fans simply repeat what they’ve seen and heard from other fans, hence our reputation has undeservedly perpetuated.

Thank you for your kind words @glasshalffull - I always think it's important to be balanced in any match report or article to justify your conclusion, even as a passionate WWFC fan of 28 years.

• We are blessed with several fine Phils. One of our fellow Gasroomers included. He has been one of the most regular and constructive contributors over the years but only one post recently. He knows who he is!

• I think it has been mentioned before but I can I just make mention of Rocky. He did very well over the two legs, included that excellent save from Evans that kept the score down. I suppose we can argue (as he did not play) that Stockdale might have saved the pens but I think Allsopp justified his inclusion for the play-off games.

• edited July 2020

Apart from the penalty incident in the first leg (he didn't touch their bloke, but there looked to be some miscommunication between him and JJ), I don't think he put a foot (or hand) wrong.

• Thank you @mica!??

• @emu80 said:
    one selection thats confirmed is that Robert Jones will be the man in the middle. Top official for a huge game !!

Obsessed with dull trivia.