Skip to content

Match day thread: Fleetwood (Second Leg)

Comments

• That second Fred goal really was a cut above, as his first shows he has the presence of mind to take the chances however they are presented and capitalize fully.

Charles was in position to clean up so well so often; the whole back four were immense. Special mention for Allsop who pulled off that save which would have made it 5-4 had it gone in.

We kept our nerve and played the gaffer's plan to progress to Webmley and the greatest chance for a Championship adventure in our history. With GA & RD keeping the focus and the team doing the business on and off the pitch we are unstoppable on our day.

This is our time. We can win this final with this Barmy Army of fantastic characters, BELIEVE!?

• Didn't the commentator say Rocky was third in clean sheets when the season ended...which is not bad. Fleetwood played good attacking football as we expected and they had to do. In the same way our early goal(s) in the first leg had them reeling, it was the same with us last night. They recognised the threat of Samuel and neutralised it and our defence had to be resolute to give us a chance to get something out of it which Fred did for us. Their first goal, like ours on Friday was a bolt out of the blue and JJ was a bit foolish to try a tackle like that in the box but Job done. I don;t have Twitter, how were Pete's selfies?

• Fleetwood were outstanding last night. It was a difficult game for us mentally but lets be honest they battered us. Its extraordinary that we got a draw. Had Stewart's handball been given, we may well have lost the tie. Its a little sobering that that might be an example of what may await next season if we got promoted.

But on Friday against the same team, we battered them.

Who cares frankly. it was a cup game, we won, we are in the final. They by Monday will be on the beach.

Have to say I thought Barton and Fleetwood in general conducted themselves very well during these ties and impressed me as a club. League one next season threatens to be scarily strong.

• @Wendoverman said:

@emu80 said:
    We cant even get the ball lol

It's an old song, but I have no idea why you claim to support this team. Your posts are either sneering at them or the other fans on here. You constantly talk up other teams against us, had them losing before a ball was kicked and now seem to be revelling in it.

You’ve forgotten about his riveting posts revealing who the ref is going to be. They make the Gasroom for me.

• An interesting theory put forward in the match report above, and by @our_frank, that Souttar was so desperate to stop JJ scoring from a corner he decided to let Fred score instead.

It has merit - However, if that were the case, the big blond defender's thinking was so muddled he had failed to realise it was JJ's wrong side.

• @DevC said:

League one next season threatens to be scarily strong.

with an even larger contingent knowing what they are going to get and hating our guts!

• @drcongo said:
    I thought they played well, but Harry Soutter is a truly awful player. Can't run, can't turn, can't pass, and evidently also can't put the ball out when under pressure. My daughter and I were howling with laughter every time he tried to pass the ball in the first leg.

I never realised Duncan Norvelle was that tall?

• @peterparrotface said:
    Did you not think Fleetwood played well Righty?

I thought Fleetwood were excellent for the first 30 mins and just lacked a final ball. Ched Evans is a good player at this level too.
    As you probably remember from my Sido fear I hate a centre back giving a goal away trying to be Lionel Messi. You really have to be excellent to recover from one of those.

• @DevC

Have to say I thought Barton and Fleetwood in general conducted themselves very well during these ties and impressed me as a club.

I'd day different on Friday with the horrible tackle on JJ as retribution for a tackle he made and Maddens one man meltdown. That was stereotypical Joey Barton.
    As was last night as when they concentrated on football they looked good.

• Good to see Adrian hasn't quite yet disappeared

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

I'd day different on Friday with the horrible tackle on JJ as retribution for a tackle he made and Maddens one man meltdown. That was stereotypical Joey Barton.
    As was last night as when they concentrated on football they looked good.

Personally I saw the Wycombe penalty as a case of a player miscontrolling it and then overly desperate to get it back rather than a case of retribution. You'd have to be pretty stupid to seek retribution in your own box. Who knows though.

Madden's melt down, while in truth he had a case for a penalty, was amusing to be fair.

• edited July 2020

I think the pen was a case of JJ having an off game. As we were so narrow in the first half, he had a lot to deal with in the first, then looked slightly shot in the second.

Can hardly blame them for the knackering performance on Friday, and not really knowing what to do with a 4-1 lead.

Kept going right till the end, defended brilliantly for the most, showed imperious heart and courage.

Also, mention for Thompson. In midfield we looked a bit slow to press at the start, Curtis came on and sorted that out. He immediately got a booking, yet managed to play his niggly, fiesty game for the following 70 mins without another yellow. A majestic showing.

What a time to be a Wanderer.

• @mooneyman said:

@Wendoverman said:
    Final might be a step too far but what a season we've had!

Your catching Richieemu's negativity!

Not at all @mooneyman if we play like Friday we're up...if we get unsettled like tonight it will be a struggle...but I am ever optimistic. The day I am clearly moving into Luton will walk the league, we are crap LOL, who's that woman in the selfie, I know things richiemu territory feel free to poison the crisps.

• Great (albeit nervy!) night last night. Made even better by the arrival of my Wanderer Wall tile, it's a think of beauty and think it'll look great at the ground.

Only problem is there is still no sign of my programme but that's a minor inconvenience

• I never fail to be struck by the quiet eloquence and lack of ego of our players. What Ainsworth and Dobson have created here is incredible.

• Given the budget constraints he has dealt with, has Ainsworth now edged ahead of MON in list of greatest ever WWFC manager? I think possibly yes.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    I never fail to be struck by the quiet eloquence and lack of ego of our players. What Ainsworth and Dobson have created here is incredible.

Character is so important to them - and it must be even harder to assemble a 'nice' squad on a tight budget.

• I think any fair comparison can only be done years after he has gone. I remember the same thing being said about Sanchez on this very board whilst emotions were coursing through everyone's veins. Certainly a valid question though! What a man.

• I always find it weird to think how he was involved in some of the most significant pre Ainsworth Wycombe events. Wimbledon under Sanchez and Preston under O'Neill. Almost like this was all written in the stars :)

It's been absolutely astonishing what has happened since Torquay!

• Sanchez was here for less than 4 years. Gareth has been at Adams Park for 11 years as player and manager.

• @mooneyman said:
    Sanchez was here for less than 4 years. Gareth has been at Adams Park for 11 years as player and manager.

Yeah that's kind of my point. Don't think anybody would say that about Sanchez today. DevC may be right but I don't think we can judge this morning (or this afternoon I've just peeled myself out of bed).

• Ainsworth doesn't need to be gone for a few years to already hail him at O Neill levels.
    Promotion will push him beyond

• Saved three times from relegation, one promotion, two play-off finals, highest position in the club's history all on a ten bob note budget...he's got to be up there!

• 2014, 2019... Am I missing a relegation battle?

• The season ended up alright but things were looking a bit dicey around November time 2012-13

• Perhaps shouldn’t be saying this in our moment of elation but before the semis couldn’t understand why Nnamdi and Blooms got picked ahead of Curtis T.
    However, apart from Fridays cameo I only have last night to go on and I was wrong. Curtis looked like the one player lockdown had really affected. Despite an earlier comment by someone above, to me he looked off the pace, got an avoidable early card, shanked a clearance badly, blocked his own teams clearance back into the box, all really surprising.
    If Blooms has done his groin and Curtis starts at Wembley I really hope he is back on it. One of my favourite players when fully fit and in their faces.

• @chairboyscentral Maybe I am counting when he took over...I wasn't a season ticket holder then but wasn't that a battle for survival in League Two?

• @perfidious_albion I think Curtis didn't do the full pre-play-off training schedule. If you look at the variety of video and photos on the WW website, he seemed to go missing somewhere in the middle. So I wasn't enormously surprised with his non-selection on Friday.

I felt that after his rusty looking start last night, he got better and better. I hope it's done him a power of good, because we could do with his special blend of subtlety and steel next Monday.