Skip to content

Match day thread: Fleetwood (Second Leg)

Comments

• @perfidious_albion yup I rate Curtis but he looked like a player that needs a couple of games to get up and running...and we might not have the time sadly.

• @Wendoverman said:
    @perfidious_albion yup I rate Curtis but he looked like a player that needs a couple of games to get up and running...and we might not have the time sadly.

Agreed, Curtis looks short of match fitness.

• Thompson had a spell before where he seemed to take ages to get back up to fitness.
    Clearly left out for that reason, and a midfield three of Thompson, Oforborh and Gape lacks something. Especially if Wheeler is one of the wide players.

• If Blooms doesn't make it then maybe a case for Pattison to start in his place

• @chairboyscentral said:
    If Blooms doesn't make it then maybe a case for Pattison to start in his place

An interesting option, and Gareth has brought him on as the first tactical sub in both games so far (Thompson being a forced sub yesterday).

But would be a heck of a brave move, as energy aside he's not provided much all season, and we need to get this lineup perfect.

• Did anyone noticethat Freeman made the all important pass to Fred for the second goal last night. Another player in the running for a start.

• @Chickenhead said:
    Did anyone noticethat Freeman made the all important pass to Fred for the second goal last night. Another player in the running for a start.

Could suit him against a team that like to get it down and play.

Gareth has 2 huge calls to make.
    Samuel or Bayo
    And who plays in the most attacking centre mid position if Bloomfield is out.

• I'd say Freeman is the natural replacement for Bloomfield but if we need an 'energy' player rather than a passer I'd go Smyth.

I am still guessing their has been a Covid-19 based training absences that have rightly been kept secret. Also worth remembering match fitness levels are at first pre season game level

• @Malone said:

@chairboyscentral said:
    If Blooms doesn't make it then maybe a case for Pattison to start in his place

An interesting option, and Gareth has brought him on as the first tactical sub in both games so far (Thompson being a forced sub yesterday).

But would be a heck of a brave move, as energy aside he's not provided much all season, and we need to get this lineup perfect.

I'm thinking for pure energy if there are doubts about Thompson. If Blooms is fit then I expect we'll the see the same starting 11 again. I suppose Wheeler dropping into midfield with Smyth starting on the right is another option, but that would need Bayo to start - and he'll almost certainly be on the bench.

• one selection thats confirmed is that Robert Jones will be the man in the middle. Top official for a huge game !!

• Could either wheeler or smyth play on the left, freeing up Fred to play just behind Bayo.
    I'm probably over thinking though.....

• Fred's final goal showed what he can do in the middle too. Tiny pockets of space and a fantastic finish

• Would want either on the right, both players' much stronger side.

• If Blooms can't play, it has to be Thompson for me. I like Freeman, but it's far too risky to ask him to start in a game of this magnitude. Dropping Wheeler back and bringing in another forward would be asking for trouble (see Doncaster away). Gape, Thompson and Ofoborh is a really solid midfield three and puts less responsibility on Wheeler and Onyedinma to drop in. I can see myself having a wonderfully productive week here...

• It's Parry's fault for sure. But I'm surprised Wycombe haven't been more gracious about it.

— talkSPORTDrive (@talkSPORTDrive) July 7, 2020

Remarkable stuff from Durham.

• edited July 2020

@YorkExile said:
    If Blooms can't play, it has to be Thompson for me. I like Freeman, but it's far too risky to ask him to start in a game of this magnitude. Dropping Wheeler back and bringing in another forward would be asking for trouble (see Doncaster away). Gape, Thompson and Ofoborh is a really solid midfield three and puts less responsibility on Wheeler and Onyedinma to drop in. I can see myself having a wonderfully productive week here...

Wheeler in midfield worked great against Bolton and Tranmere tbf - relegation sides, of course, but still. He is very versatile.

• edited July 2020

@YorkExile said:

It's Parry's fault for sure. But I'm surprised Wycombe haven't been more gracious about it.

What exactly does he expect from us?

Make some sort of weird apology for ending up in the playoffs?

How all the heat is on us, when Rotherham secured a much bigger reward I do not know - there were 6 teams within 3 points of them with 8-9 games left for goodness sake!

@YorkExile said:
    If Blooms can't play, it has to be Thompson for me. I like Freeman, but it's far too risky to ask him to start in a game of this magnitude. Dropping Wheeler back and bringing in another forward would be asking for trouble (see Doncaster away). Gape, Thompson and Ofoborh is a really solid midfield three and puts less responsibility on Wheeler and Onyedinma to drop in. I can see myself having a wonderfully productive week here...

Wheeler in midfield worked great against Bolton and Tranmere tbf - relegation sides, of course, but still. He is very versatile.

Absolutely, it's a fantastic option to have. I just think that a midfield of Gape, Thompson and Ofoborh looks rock solid, and it will need to be for this. Having Wheeler up top as a target is also important if Bayo doesn't start.

• He also thinks that goal-line technology appeared "out of nowhere" in League One.

All EFL play-off games since 2018 have had goal-line technology.

• edited July 2020

@YorkExile said:

@chairboyscentral said:

@YorkExile said:

Absolutely, it's a fantastic option to have. I just think that a midfield of Gape, Thompson and Ofoborh looks rock solid, and it will need to be for this. Having Wheeler up top as a target is also important if Bayo doesn't start.

Yeah, I think it will be Gape-Ofoborh-Blooms if Blooms is fit. Otherwise Thompson or, if he's still not 100%, Pattison. Can't have any stragglers out there!

• This gem on the Oxford site below.
    I know fans are on eyed, but surely they remember how they cheated us out of Bayo, 20mins into the game at their place!?

Two teams with completely contrasting styles. Oxford a passing side, Wycome a boot it long side.

Wycombe had just 21% possession and still scored 2. I expect th em to use all the dark arts, off the balls fouls and try anything they can to stop football being played.

• edited July 2020

@chairboyscentral said:

@YorkExile said:

@chairboyscentral said:

@YorkExile said:

Yeah, I think it will be Gape-Ofoborh-Blooms if Blooms is fit. Otherwise Thompson or, if he's still not 100%, Pattison. Can't have any stragglers out there!

Agreed.

• @YorkExile said:

It's Parry's fault for sure. But I'm surprised Wycombe haven't been more gracious about it.

What have you done now @glasshalffull ?

• @Malone said:
    This gem on the Oxford site below.
    I know fans are on eyed, but surely they remember how they cheated us out of Bayo, 20mins into the game at their place!?

Two teams with completely contrasting styles. Oxford a passing side, Wycome a boot it long side.

Wycombe had just 21% possession and still scored 2. I expect th em to use all the dark arts, off the balls fouls and try anything they can to stop football being played.

I have no recollection whatsoever of looking up coffee, but could this ad placement be any more perfect?

• @YorkExile said:

I don't understand this. Context please.

• @Wendoverman said:

@YorkExile said:

I don't understand this. Context please.

The play-off/PPG business. He blames Rick Parry, but is surprised by how allegedly ungracious we have been in accepting our play-off place. Fair cop, I've got a mate who is a Posh fan and I congratulated him on their wonderful season and apologised for our good fortune immediately upon reading this. Durham has made me a better man.

• Jesus...not a single fan of a single club would have expected their club to behave any differently and the saddest thing is as they bark and howl about it they know it too.

• Most of the bitter comments since Friday seem to have come from Tranmere fans. Remember we voted to send them down. Time to do the right thing and take voluntary relegation to League Two.

Most of the bitter comments since Friday seem to have come from Tranmere fans. Remember we voted to send them down. Time to do the right thing and take voluntary relegation to League Two.

Well, we'll be getting battered every week next season (whichever league we are in) apparently.