Skip to content

Match day thread: Oxford

Comments

• Undone by their game management today. As has been said, not Bayo's finest hour. But he has a reasonable amount of 'credit' in the bank, it's fair to say. Allsop shouldn't have been facing that kind of chance, and was just unlucky one of the first two saves didn't go out for a corner. Second half showed character. Most of their shots were a waste of space from outside the area. Don't think we had a grain of luck. Some days it goes that way. Don't think the chasing pack took advantage, so Boxing Day we go again. Don't lose heart. They have assembled a good squad. Great character from both sides today ... our second half display and their 90 minutes on top of the midweek performance. Today was just confirmation the Championship won't arrive on a silver platter.

• @Jonny_King Not too despondent either. We were beaten by a very good side. Not sure that we would have got much more out of the game even with 11 men. We showed plenty of spirit in the second half, but I thought they always had the edge and we did well to restrict them to just one.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Yep, I was in that bit and thought that was a bit weird. Too cold to be sitting down!

I wasn't too cold but I enjoyed the standing beforehand and was keen for it to continue. Almost no-one around me seemed unwilling to stand but there seemed to be an unspoken assumption that we'd all sit down. I was about the most infirm person among those around me. It was odd given that almost everyone else was standing. Ho hum. There was still a fair amount of singing. I never like sitting too near opposing fans, mind. I have no taste for the nasty language and mindless ill-feeling that gets expressed.

• @Malone said:

@HCblue said:
    We only stand together when I'm there, too and I won't make that mistake again.

By the by, was anyone else in the section of support today that was nearest the home fans and which, bizarrely to my tastes, stood up before the game and during half time but resolutely sat throughout the game?

Yeah I was. But in fairness, very low down indeed, so it'd have been outrageous selfishbastardry to stand all game!

Quite. I half wanted to encourage those around me to stand since they seemed willing in principle but didn't wish to upset any quiet types that preferred to stay as they were. It's a disadvantage of allocated seating when one doesn't get to choose.

• We rather bore the brunt of the pyro there too.

We rather bore the brunt of the pyro there too.

Yes. That was a cracker, wasn't it.

• I have to agree with @Jonny_King ’s points above. Nothing to be too despondent about. First half we were unsettled by the sending off. I do think Bayo was unprofessional in getting sent off. Both yellows were silly / avoidable and as a senior pro, he should know better. Also agree that the second yellow could have been a straight red these days, albeit Mousinho was a disgrace with his reaction.
    Thought we displayed a master class in how to play away from home with 10 men for most of a game. Despite all their possession and spraying the ball around quite nicely, Oxford were poor in terms of converting this into chances. On another day, we scramble an equaliser in the last few minutes.
    In the second half, I would have swapped Blooms for Freeman - less defensive cover perhaps, but a chance of scoring from midfield. I hope to see him feature in some of the Christmas games.
    Poor support from Oxford today I thought. It really is a dead stadium in terms of atmosphere. Great support from Wycombe fans today - lots of getting behind the team. On to Pompey!

• @HCblue said:

@Malone said:

@HCblue said:
    We only stand together when I'm there, too and I won't make that mistake again.

By the by, was anyone else in the section of support today that was nearest the home fans and which, bizarrely to my tastes, stood up before the game and during half time but resolutely sat throughout the game?

Yeah I was. But in fairness, very low down indeed, so it'd have been outrageous selfishbastardry to stand all game!

Quite. I half wanted to encourage those around me to stand since they seemed willing in principle but didn't wish to upset any quiet types that preferred to stay as they were. It's a disadvantage of allocated seating when one doesn't get to choose.

It seemed an absolute lottery how the tickets were distributed too.

The lady on my left said she bought immediately when on sale, yet I got mine in the last batch of 300.
    And we were in the front 5 or 6 rows in the middle.

The stewards had their work cut out.
    I got into my seat a ludicrous 1hr 15 before, and had 5 separate stewards view and/or usher me to my exact seat!

I wonder how many smartarses thought they were being funny when the marshal mentioned their row letter, and they said "oh...is that the one with (said letter) on "

Heard at least 3 separate people say that!

• They were certainly conscientious about getting people to their seats. but very friendly too.

• Sorry if this has already been raised, but was Gape maybe not match fit? I suppose we'll get our answer on Boxing Day, but he didn't appear injured as such, more like something just wasn't quite right.

Sorry if this has already been raised, but was Gape maybe not match fit? I suppose we'll get our answer on Boxing Day, but he didn't appear injured as such, more like something just wasn't quite right.

@chairboyscentral said:
    Sorry if this has already been raised, but was Gape maybe not match fit? I suppose we'll get our answer on Boxing Day, but he didn't appear injured as such, more like something just wasn't quite right.

Looked to me like his calf just went.

• It'd be a heck of an error to start him in that case. And then make a sub on 8mins, losing a potentially vital change later on?!

• only thing worse than taking an hour to get out of the kassam car park...
    having to spend it listening to deluded BBC radio Oxford

• Just saw highlights. Silly fouls from bayo but both the defender and moushino going down like they had been hit with a hammer. Shameful.

• The cynic in me thinks that Mousinho had a kick out at Wheeler, but maybe he was just rolling over.

• Fact Is we were one down before Bayo got sent off and held that score with 10 men. Oxford were excellent...pass and move, playing triangles and releasing men wide, largely to play crosses into the middle or occasionally to wriggle into the box to make a shot (which is how we conceded). During an injury break Gareth called the team to the bench and reorganised us to 4-4-2 which dealt more effectively with Oxford’s wide men. Second half we contained Oxford very well.

At 1-0 up Oxford controlled the game and although they pushed for a second they were happy to keep possession and the lead. Kudos to Gareth and Dobbo for the reorganisation to keep us in the game...at 1-0 down we always had the chance of an equaliser or a penalty.

Finally the ref was pretty sound today. 80% possession will win you most games and 1-0 was a tribute to our hard work. I look forward to the return at Adams Park and I think we will win that one.

• @Forest_Blue said:
    Fact Is we were one down before Bayo got sent off and held that score with 10 men. Oxford were excellent...pass and move, playing triangles and releasing men wide, largely to play crosses into the middle or occasionally to wriggle into the box to make a shot (which is how we conceded). During an injury break Gareth called the team to the bench and reorganised us to 4-4-2 which dealt more effectively with Oxford’s wide men. Second half we contained Oxford very well.

At 1-0 up Oxford controlled the game and although they pushed for a second they were happy to keep possession and the lead. Kudos to Gareth and Dobbo for the reorganisation to keep us in the game...at 1-0 down we always had the chance of an equaliser or a penalty.

Finally the ref was pretty sound today. 80% possession will win you most games and 1-0 was a tribute to our hard work. I look forward to the return at Adams Park and I think we will win that one.

the ref was sound ? either you were not at the game or you are an oxford fan....the ref was absolutely terrible, worst performance I have ever seen from a ref

• So I didn't make it to the game - driving to Preston for Christmas - and I've only seen the Bayo sending off from the clip above.
    However, we should all keep this in perspective, whatever the rights and wrongs of the actual events of the day and any comments posted to social media

We are still top of the league
    We've only lost 2 games all season
    We have a seven point margin on the nearest team (only 6 if other win games in hand)

There's lot to happy about.

• Listening on the radio I was worried at half time that we could be in for a real hiding, so it was a relief to hear us putting Oxford on the back foot for spells in the 2nd half and keeping them to 1-0. Not much else we could've done under the circumstances, so credit to GA in the team.

As for the sending off, Bayo was foolish to fall for what Mousinho was clearly up to and can't really have any complaints. That said it was cynical and embarrassing behaviour from Mousinho. Something I'd hate to see from a Wycombe player. Reminiscent of the Ingram incident at Cambridge a few years back.

So in the end, not too damaging a defeat (although the Gape injury is a worry). Another tough one on Boxing Day, anything we get there would be an excellent result

• The team are going to need all the support and positivity we can muster if the club's report is correct and it was a straight red and not a 2nd yellow and then a red, I assume Bayo can't play until after New Years Day.

"In what was already proving to be a feisty encounter, the Wanderers were reduced to ten men after an altercation broke out following a nasty challenge from John Mousinho on Kashket. Akinfenwa joined the melee and appeared to grab hold of an Oxford player, forcing the referee to produce a straight red card."

Apologies if I am wrong.

• It was definitely a second yellow, but it should have been a straight red - not sure if it can be changed?

• The linesman in front of Wycombe fans was appalling. Henry was in an offside position when shot came in, hence why he was first to react to Allsops fumble.

• It's hard to criticise Gaz after the miracles he has performed with us, but setting up in that 442 diamond was baffling. When we've played so well, and not conceded for weeks with a 433, why change things up like that?

• If it was a straight red for Bayo, then it should've been a straight red for Mousinho, as they were carded for the same thing?

• edited December 2019

I thought it was more of a 4-4-1-1, I'd have to watch it back. Might have been a diamond, which we know didn't work v Gillingham. He got it spot on second half, though, and Wheeler was superb in that 'system'.

• @Wycombe85 said:
    If it was a straight red for Bayo, then it should've been a straight red for Mousinho, as they were carded for the same thing?

I may be wrong, but is neck upwards not straight red territory? Mousinho pushed Bayo in the chest so yellow fair enough. Mind you, that pathetic play-acting should really result in something, even though it didn't influence the ref's decision.

• @ChasHarps said:
    The linesman in front of Wycombe fans was appalling. Henry was in an offside position when shot came in, hence why he was first to react to Allsops fumble.

Watched the highlights carefully, stopping them at the relevant moment, and don't think he was offside. Certainly, it was not clear that he was. A defensible decision without the benefit of VAR.

• I may need to look again, but I didn't think Bayo did anything much different to Mousinho. Problem was he was on a booking and Mousinho knew that. The provocation and play acting and subsequent booking was worthwhile, as it did the job of getting getting the reaction he wanted. Poor from Mousinho and silly of Bayo to fall for it.

• A frustrating afternoon, though we all knew that Oxford were in good form and comfortable playing possession football so were definitely not favourites.
    Going 1-0 down with tactics that need the opposition to either be chasing the game to some degree, or sitting back and clinging on was always going to be difficult, though going down to 10 men after a moment of madness from one of our 'generals' really made it a serious uphill struggle.
    It's a credit to the players who stayed on that we defended stoically and put in a disciplined performance to keep us in with a puncher's chance of an equaliser (despite the best efforts of the Hilton-esque wind up tactics of Mackie who seemed more interested in poking Stewart's eyes out than playing football).

A disappointing afternoon, but hardly one that should knock us off our stride and go into the Portsmouth, Coventry and Ipswich games with confidence that we can take points from all of those.

• Only other teams who have gone there this season and NOT conceded 2+ goals are Shrewsbury (who we know defend very robustly) and Peterborough - conceded 0 and 1 respectively. And they both had 11 men. Oxford fans will tell themselves that we're awful, but we're probably one of the best teams that they've faced at home this season.