Skip to content

Match day thread: Oxford

Comments

• @Malone said:

Completely missed the Gape injury, until he was walking off round the 4th stand. Didn't seem to be limping too badly, so fingers crossed.

Wheeler was even beating Mousinho to some balls too.

Someone earlier said everyone on here is an expert on tactics after a loss, quite mockingly, but it didn't need a tactical genius to see we were struggling to contain them in the first 20mins anyway.
    A bit too often, either Bloomfield or Thompson were being matched up against their right sided wide player.

It sort of worked better with 10! But we were relying on the the ultimate lotto of a ball just happening to fall perfectly.

Positives are we're still 7 points clear from second.
    We do need to hit back quickly though, as those points could easily disintegrate in the next 4 games.

We did indeed seem to be under the cosh even before Bayo went off. Like you, I assume, I wonder if Gareth may think he missed a trick in not starting Samuel for this one to get among their back line a bit more.

• Playing that well for that long away to - in my opinion - the best team we've faced this season can only stand us in good stead. It's also a good case study to look back upon if we find ourselves in the same situation later in the season - which, hopefully, we won't!

• All that said, mind, Tom, I've now seen Anthony Stewart's reply, which seems perfectly reasonable, too, in its perspective.

• It’s impossible to prove either way of course, but I agree that the red card killed us this afternoon. certainly we were completely out of it for the rest of the first half before changing tack in the second.

Bayo is an experienced pro who has had a rush of blood and made an appalling error that has massively cost us. He’s 37, this has happened to him before, he should know better. Staggering overreaction from Mousinho, but Bayo gives him the opportunity to cheat.

Fine to disagree, but no need to pile on CC for voicing an opinion and I doubt Bayo’s at home crying about someone criticising him on Twitter, so maybe just chill out? No-one’s calling for him to be publicly flogged, just pointing out it was a stupid, rookie mistake from someone who should know better. We have a little moan about it and then we move on.

Not a disaster thanks to results elsewhere, but undoubtedly a shame, as in the second half we more or less matched the PNL, even with ten men and if we’d kept 11 on the pitch I suspect we’d have got at least a point.

Not going to be too hard on Allsop for the goal, sloppy as it was. Without seeing it a second time, the defence seemed too slow to react - a striker shouldn’t be getting three bites of the cherry to score.

Hey ho. We knew we’d probably lose one or two over the next couple of months. Shame it was to a non-league side, but we’re still top. Get through this tricky period and if we’re still there or thereabouts from February onward we have a really favourable looking run-in.

• Yeah, I get what he's saying. Probably for the best that I've diffused it!

• @OxfordBlue said:
    Righty has comfortably cemented his position as the gasroom’s worst poster in recent weeks.

Love the irony and if disagreeing equals worst then it pretty much sums up the decade

@chairboyscentral said:
    I mean, I'm definitely not the only fan annoyed. I love Bayo as much as the next person, but I'm not going to blindly defend him when he's blatantly let himself, the team and the fans down. Anyway, I'm not saying anything more as I have better things to be doing with my evening.

Seems you didn't have things to do but well done on taking the post down. It is the right thing to do. It was a post that could have worked on here but not on Twitter.
    I've no problem with Bayo letting himself down. He did but he did not cost us the game as you stated. You can't know what would have happened, especially already 1 down. It was wrong to blame him in a public forum for a defeat.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Yeah, I get what he's saying. Probably for the best that I've diffused it!

Au contraire, you stopped the diffusing of it by deleting the Tweet. Well defused.

• @Jonny_King said:
    It’s impossible to prove either way of course, but I agree that the red card killed us this afternoon. certainly we were completely out of it for the rest of the first half before changing tack in the second.

Bayo is an experienced pro who has had a rush of blood and made an appalling error that has massively cost us. He’s 37, this has happened to him before, he should know better. Staggering overreaction from Mousinho, but Bayo gives him the opportunity to cheat.

Fine to disagree, but no need to pile on CC for voicing an opinion and I doubt Bayo’s at home crying about someone criticising him on Twitter, so maybe just chill out? No-one’s calling for him to be publicly flogged, just pointing out it was a stupid, rookie mistake from someone who should know better. We have a little moan about it and then we move on.

Not a disaster thanks to results elsewhere, but undoubtedly a shame, as in the second half we more or less matched the PNL, even with ten men and if we’d kept 11 on the pitch I suspect we’d have got at least a point.

Not going to be too hard on Allsop for the goal, sloppy as it was. Without seeing it a second time, the defence seemed too slow to react - a striker shouldn’t be getting three bites of the cherry to score.

Hey ho. We knew we’d probably lose one or two over the next couple of months. Shame it was to a non-league side, but we’re still top. Get through this tricky period and if we’re still there or thereabouts from February onward we have a really favourable looking run-in.

Saw you from a few rows distance, but thought better of shouting out "Jonny, it's Malone from the internet", so, erm didn't!
    Bit of a waste of a (long) trip for you, but it's the way!

Looking down our fixture list, when we get past the "Big 4" next games, we have Rochdale as respite, then another tough 2 with Peterboro & Blackpool

MK in the middle, then another tough two, v Rovers & Fleetwood.

To erm..conclude...one game at a time it is then!

• Either way, let's move on. I am really proud of how we played after going down a man. It is strange, but I feel we might have lost by more with 11 men, the way things were going before the red!

The second half was a masterclass in playing a man down, with times where Oxford were under serious pressure. A lot of positives to take from that.

We are one of the best teams in this division, and today just cemented that all the more for me. Away from home, a great Oxford team, red card, no rub of the green, not quite getting that final ball through...and we STILL only lose 1-0!!!!

• Exactly that @Shev.

Gape injured very early, under the cosh, goal down, Bayo redcard on 25mins, yet survived just one goal against and a few half chances at set pieces could have seen us nick a point.

• edited December 2019

@HCblue said:

@chairboyscentral said:

Au contraire, you stopped the diffusing of it by deleting the Tweet. Well defused.

That response is too good for me to go back and correct my error now, isn't it ?

• @Malone You should have done!

Result a bit of a shame after the effort and stress of scrambling around for a ticket and then rushing to get there in time, but nice to get to a game nonetheless and I’ve since learned I escaped my nephew throwing a massive tantrum back home, so just glad to have been out the house really!

• @chairboyscentral said:

@HCblue said:

@chairboyscentral said:

That response is too good for me to back and correct my error now, isn't it ?

Please don't.

• Second half went much better than I was fearing at HT. The team's character came to the fore. After an impressive first half thought Oxford were very disappointing after the break.

• We seemed rather there for the taking at half time, didn't we, @DJWYC14.

• We seemed rather there for the taking at half time, didn't we, @DJWYC14.

• Jonny - top stuff!

On another note, what was the deal with the "main" carpark? I arrived at about 1.15 and it was all coned off.

But walking in, 15mins later, there were loads of free spaces.

Do they randomly keep some free (all scattered in 1s though) for anyone unlucky enough to pick a matchday to turn up for the cinema/food places, or was it the "Other" entrance in there? Or for late goers etc?

At 1.15 ish there was still room for probably 200-300 more cars, but I wouldn't want to arrive after about 1.45 to test it.

• I think Allsop had a good game too. Almost pulled off a triple save to deny the goal - there may be some who blame him, but I think all three shots were difficult to deal with. He also pulled off a stunning finger tip save later in the first half, and though there were a couple of hair raising moments in the second, he did well.

• @Shev said:
    I think Allsop had a good game too. Almost pulled off a triple save to deny the goal - there may be some who blame him, but I think all three shots were difficult to deal with. He also pulled off a stunning finger tip save later in the first half, and though there were a couple of hair raising moments in the second, he did well.

I was quite low down and it looked like he'd fumbled the first shot straight back to their man.
    Could well be being harsh though.

But either way, he's been pretty fine since that slippy one away at Fleetwood. It's a difficult position and can happen

• Ball must have been pretty wet tbf? I appreciate that more after the Fleetwood game.

• edited December 2019

First goal conceded in over ten hours of football and the first from open play in over 12 - and it wasn't even a good one from one of the best sides in the league! We still have the best defensive record in the division, but I wouldn't want to watch that every week.

• Also statistically, I am now 0 for 2 in away games this season. It's not on Bayo, it's on me. I am old enough to know better. Lesson learned. Sorry everyone.

• That was only my second of the season and I've only fared marginally better (also went to Wimbledon).

• Beg your pardon. I was there as well as at Gillingham. Nonetheless, I think the point holds.

• @HCblue said:
    Also statistically, I am now 0 for 2 in away games this season. It's not on Bayo, it's on me. I am old enough to know better. Lesson learned. Sorry everyone.

We stand together! No blame or digging anyone out! We win, draw and lose together! ?

• We only stand together when I'm there, too and I won't make that mistake again.

By the by, was anyone else in the section of support today that was nearest the home fans and which, bizarrely to my tastes, stood up before the game and during half time but resolutely sat throughout the game?

• Anyone else not actually feeling particularly despondent this evening? Disappointing result, poor first half performance, Bayo suspended and Gape injured; feel like I should be down, but instead already looking forward to Portsmouth.

Being seven points clear at the top probably has something to do with it.

• Yep, I was in that bit and thought that was a bit weird. Too cold to be sitting down!

• @HCblue said:
    We only stand together when I'm there, too and I won't make that mistake again.

By the by, was anyone else in the section of support today that was nearest the home fans and which, bizarrely to my tastes, stood up before the game and during half time but resolutely sat throughout the game?

Yeah I was. But in fairness, very low down indeed, so it'd have been outrageous selfishbastardry to stand all game!

• @Jonny_King said:
    Anyone else not actually feeling particularly despondent this evening? Disappointing result, poor first half performance, Bayo suspended and Gape injured; feel like I should be down, but instead already looking forward to Portsmouth.

Being seven points clear at the top probably has something to do with it.

The results being fairly decent elsewhere definitely helps.

Luckily there's quite a few decent teams that all take points off each other.
    And a few of the likes of Shrewsbury who won't threaten the top standings, but are still not to be underestimated.