Skip to content

Match day thread: MK (EFL Trophy)

Comments

• Looks like we are focusing on the league, while MK Dons have ignored the league in favour of the Leasing.com. I am sure they can't wait to wipe that promotion smile off our face by hoisting the famoys trophy!

• Attendance given as 1,101

• That was a hell of a hit from Ofoborh

• Agreed and great to see Smyth looking so lively.

• Yep, Smyth is looking superb.

• Is Fred still alive?

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Attendance given as 1,101

Is that binary?

• Word of praise as well for Cameron Yates.

• Phillips sent off along with one of theirs. League suspensions can't be served in the tinpot, but can timpot suspensions be served in the league? Or am I going to have to trawl through the EFL regulations...

• Brilliant goal from Parker.

• Parker’s got his goal, so that’s one good thing.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Phillips sent off along with one of theirs. League suspensions can't be served in the tinpot, but can timpot suspensions be served in the league? Or am I going to have to trawl through the EFL regulations...

From the EFL website......

"12 On Field Discipline
    12.1 The Competition is a ‘First Team Competitive Match’ for the purposes of the Football Association’s Regulations for Disciplinary Procedures. However, the automatic sanctions in relation to cautions and dismissals are treated separately under The FA Disciplinary procedures from other First Team matches."

Don't know if this helps. I'm not all that sure what it means.

• Lot of positives there, only negative the red card for Phillips.

• edited November 2019

FT: Cheltenham 4-7 Newport. Two players with hat-tricks for Newport.

• Excellent for Parker. He's had to wait his chance so him getting games in this cup is one good thing.

If red cards gained in this cup are only served in this cup it's a bit ludicrous for someone like Phillips as It could be years, or never before he's with another team involved in it!

• My interpretation of that is that if you're sent off in this competition, you serve your ban in it - which might be never for Phillips.

• That was well worth a tenner, entertaining game. Parker was pretty poor in the first half but had some superb touches in the second (apart from one terrible pass), he looked like he relaxed and started being himself. Ofoborh was brilliant, Smyth was sublime, and like @glasshalffull said, shout out to Cameron Yates who made good decisions all game and a couple of excellent saves.

• Sounds about as good an outcome as we could have hoped for then.

• Wasn't in the slightest bit bothered about tonight given the competition, opposition and fact we are already out.

On the face of it though, nice boost for Ofoborh and Parker to get on the scoresheet, plus Smyth back out there. Also, I think we get a small cheque written for a victory (and therefore stop MK getting the same). Guess that's about as good as it could get tonight.

Any news on Fred's injury? @bluntphil could you please ask for an update if you have any imminent upcoming interviews?

• Great pictures of Parker celebrating his goal. Not meaningless for him at least.

• Well that was fun.

Somewhat unexpectedly that was a really good watch and actually did quite a few players some good.

Three cracking goals too, with both Ofoborh and Parker breaking their duck. Both we’re excellent throughout the game too.

As others have said good to see Smyth back. He was really dangerous during his 45 mins on the pitch and should have scored following a sublime pass from Parker.

Yates, Patterson, Freeman and Samuel also caught the eye with the Chairboys on top for most of the game.

£10,000 in the bank too.

• Smyth to start on Sunday assuming he came through tonight ok? Freeman's got to be pushing for a recall too.

• @Cyclops, I believe the interpretation is that yellow cards only count up in the competition they are shown whereas red cards apply across competitions.
    So yellow cards in the FA Cup, Carabao, Leasing.com don't count towards the totting up in the league but the red earned tonight applies to the next 3 matches.
    Likewise a red card on Sunday in the league would mean missing the FA Cup replay.

• @floyd said:
    Great pictures of Parker celebrating his goal. Not meaningless for him at least.

I've left the iPad on next to me while I'm working and iFollow has been just showing the highlights over and over again. Notable is the fact that there were either 8 or 9 players, couldn't quite tell, all hugging Josh Parker after his goal. Looks like the rest of the team have really been willing him to score too.

• @Twizz said:
    @Cyclops, I believe the interpretation is that yellow cards only count up in the competition they are shown whereas red cards apply across competitions.
    So yellow cards in the FA Cup, Carabao, Leasing.com don't count towards the totting up in the league but the red earned tonight applies to the next 3 matches.
    Likewise a red card on Sunday in the league would mean missing the FA Cup replay.

Ah, but not according to the Sunderland Echo...

https://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/football/sunderland-afc/latest-sunderland-afc-news/its-actually-embarrassing-fuming-sunderland-fans-react-luke-onien-red-card-and-heres-why-he-wont-miss-any-league-one-matches-993660

• At what point will Luke O'Nien realise he should have stayed at Wycombe?

a) it's already happened
    b) when we win at the Stadium of Light
    c) when we've clinched promotion
    d) at the start of next season when we're a division above them

• Perhaps on of those possibilities might be correct?
    Although it could be different rules apply to Sunderland, what with them being such a big club that shouldn't have to play tinpot clubs like Wycombe and Scunthorpe.

• @eric_plant said:
    At what point will Luke O'Nien realise he should have stayed at Wycombe?

a) it's already happened
    b) when we win at the Stadium of Light
    c) when we've clinched promotion
    d) at the start of next season when we're a division above them

Getting paid much higher wages probably helps soothe the pain a bit.