Skip to content

Match day thread: MK (EFL Trophy)

Comments

• @OxfordBlue said:

@eric_plant said:
    At what point will Luke O'Nien realise he should have stayed at Wycombe?

a) it's already happened
    b) when we win at the Stadium of Light
    c) when we've clinched promotion
    d) at the start of next season when we're a division above them

Getting paid much higher wages probably helps soothe the pain a bit.

How much do you think he's on exactly? Bearing in mind Richie has confirmed all of our players are on at least 3k a week.

• @OxfordBlue said:

@eric_plant said:

a) it's already happened

Getting paid much higher wages probably helps soothe the pain a bit.

Exactly, I think I could deal with my job being slightly worse (they could be third if they win their games in hand), for likely triple my wages.

• Just seen the goals, great strikes both of them

• That Oboforh shot could not have been hit with any more power could it! Sheash!

• @eric_plant said:

a) it's already happened

It was very clear when Luke played at 'our house' a few weeks ago he was a very unhappy boy. A shadow of the player we had in terms of energy and production.

To answer your question a definate A from me

• 2 cracking goals and £10,000 for the win even though we were out before the game started. Has anyone seen how many Wycombe fans attended?

• I think Luke is out of contract this summer? Free transfer in the summer?

• Here's a question then (caveat - obviously I'd welcome him back into the squad with open arms, he's a great player, he can play several positions, and he's a great bloke)

If everyone's fit does he get into our first team? As far as I can see there's one spot up for grabs, since Gape and Thompson are nailed on starters.

He doesn't shift either of our full backs so it's really a 3 way battle between him, Bloomfield and Freeman for the final midfield spot.

Depends who we're playing I suppose but he wouldn't be a certain starter

• I think he is quite popular there in an u underperforming team they may make him an offer he cannot refuse

• edited November 2019

@eric_plant said:
    Here's a question then (caveat - obviously I'd welcome him back into the squad with open arms, he's a great player, he can play several positions, and he's a great bloke)

If everyone's fit does he get into our first team? As far as I can see there's one spot up for grabs, since Gape and Thompson are nailed on starters.

He doesn't shift either of our full backs so it's really a 3 way battle between him, Bloomfield and Freeman for the final midfield spot.

O'Nien would immediately displace Bloomfield in the pecking order. Never going to happen either way, but he'd be a superb free signing

• @Username said:

@eric_plant said:
    Here's a question then (caveat - obviously I'd welcome him back into the squad with open arms, he's a great player, he can play several positions, and he's a great bloke)

O'Nien would immediately displace Bloomfield in the pecking order. Never going to happen either way, but he'd be a superb few signing

Not sure it's as straight forward as that with Gareth. Bloomfield has consistently been outside most of our strongest elevens for years, yet he still starts a lot of games year in year out.

• @WidmerWanderer said:
    I think Luke is out of contract this summer? Free transfer in the summer?

He signed a 3 year deal didn't he?

• @eric_plant said:

Signing up Dom Gape would be a major plus for next season.

• Couldn't agree more - he is such a good player

• It was such a welcome surprise when he signed that 1 year deal last season.

If we really look to have a realistic chance of going up in the new year, staying here to experience championship football wouldn't be the worst decision he could make.
    Especially when you look at the likes of McCarthy who moved and are basically in no man's land not playing now.

• Surely every player is signing with an eye on success. I think he knew that in the summer. If Dom can get a bung on his wages and play regularly in the Championship he'll re-sign for Gaz I reckon.

• edited November 2019

@Malone said:
    It was such a welcome surprise when he signed that 1 year deal last season.

If we really look to have a realistic chance of going up in the new year, staying here to experience championship football wouldn't be the worst decision he could make.
    Especially when you look at the likes of McCarthy who moved and are basically in no man's land not playing now.

McCarthy has a broken foot judging by his Insta, but then he wasn't getting in the team anyway. A strange transfer for me, considering they already had a more than capable RB in Mahlon Romeo - unless the intention was for McCarthy to just provide back-up/competition. Grimmer is a better player anyway.

• @Malone said:
    That Oboforh shot could not have been hit with any more power could it! Sheash!

Don’t know if @chairboyscentral’s stats access goes deep enough, but I’d love to know the speed of that shot. I happened across a YouTube video the other day of the top ten fastest shots of all time (allegedly), and I wouldn’t be surprised at all if Oboforh’s beat half of them.

• OK, just worked it out. It was roughly 80.5mph - which is pretty good going.

• I wish I had special access, but I use WhoScored and SofaScore - both freely accessible to anyone. I don't know if shot speed is something that's measured during games anyway. But yeah, he was not holding back!

• I'm pretty sure this is one of the faster ever:

• Luke coming back would be an absolute no brainer for Gareth. I suspect he would be made captain instantaneously and be the first name on the team sheet, playing as the advanced point of a midfield triangle alongside Gape and Thompson. If... IF we get promoted I can see it happening. Much as we all admire Matt Bloomfield, no one could realistically argue he'd be a starter in the Championship next season.

• @aloysius said:

Much as we all admire Matt Bloomfield, no one could realistically argue he'd be a starter in the Championship next season.

As predicted by many none of the League Two team were good enough to make the step up to League One to be fair :smile::smile:

• Step up from League One to Championship is about twice the step up from League Two to League One

• @Wendoverman said:

@aloysius said:

Much as we all admire Matt Bloomfield, no one could realistically argue he'd be a starter in the Championship next season.

As predicted by many none of the League Two team were good enough to make the step up to League One to be fair :smile::smile:

Bloomfield's complete lack of pace would be horrendously shown up in the champ. If we go up, I fully expect him to move to a player /coach role officially

• @chairboyscentral said:
    I'm pretty sure this is one of the faster ever:

Think this was just before Steve Bould got bored of being shown up by the excellent David Hirst (1st England call up same match as Shearer) and smashed into him from behind in a disgusting tackle that effectively stopped his career.

• @drcongo said:
    OK, just worked it out. It was roughly 80.5mph - which is pretty good going.

I hit a volley sweetly back in my playing days and it knocked a defender to the floor. I can only imagine what matey's shot would have done to someone!

• @Wendoverman said:

@aloysius said:

I was gonna say! Noone has had him in their first choice 11 for about a decade now, yet he still seems to get his starts!

• @chairboyscentral said:

@Malone said:
    It was such a welcome surprise when he signed that 1 year deal last season.

McCarthy has a broken foot judging by his Insta, but then he wasn't getting in the team anyway. A strange transfer for me, considering they already had a more than capable RB in Mahlon Romeo - unless the intention was for McCarthy to just provide back-up/competition. Grimmer is a better player anyway.

Not sure he's better, but it's a credit to Grimmer that we haven't missed him.

• unless the intention was for McCarthy to just provide back-up/competition. Grimmer is a better player anyway.

Could't disagree more. Grimmer is a decent full back but McCarthy is a much better player