Skip to content

Another Wycombe pub closes !!

Comments

• I moved to Wycombe in 1993 and I certainly remember it. I was told it was to be avoided by some of my pals so it must have been a proper boozer!

• If your choice of drink was Hofmeister, Skol or Miller Lite then the Flint in the 80's would have been for you.

• The Flint Cottage was my nearest pub when I moved back to Wycombe in the early 90’s. I remember walking past it every day (don’t judge me) on the way to the Antelope (sad to see how that’s declined recently)

• I'm young enough to only have known the Antelope as a shithole with sticky/pissy floors where you end up at 1am because you 'might as well'.

• Ahh so many old pubs... who remembers the Grapes on the high st, and Fagin's down the road just past where the Thai place is now ?

The Antelope used to be good years back, havnt been in there for a long time though

• Forgot to add, we always used to go to The Flint when at college as it had a pool table ! And The Rose ( which went years ago as well.. now that was a shit hole !)

• What was the name of the pub next to S&A called? White building in the background of the photo by onlooker at 1:17pm on the "clinch promotion" thread.

• I was more of a White Lion regular with occasional forays across the road to the Flint for gigs.

First place I ever saw a video jukebox! Warrant’s Cherry Pie on regular rotation.

The Grapes was a fancy pub - strictly for my mum’s birthday. Black Forest Gateaux a-plenty!

• @Twizz said:
    What was the name of the pub next to S&A called? White building in the background of the photo by onlooker at 1:17pm on the "clinch promotion" thread.

The Rose

• @arnos_grove said:
    I was more of a White Lion regular with occasional forays across the road to the Flint for gigs.

First place I ever saw a video jukebox! Warrant’s Cherry Pie on regular rotation.

The Grapes was a fancy pub - strictly for my mum’s birthday. Black Forest Gateaux a-plenty!

The Grapes turned into a Berni, the stairs that led down to theeating area are still in action today at the Boots in the High St.
    I was tucking into Black Forest Gateux in the Grapes the evening Spurs won the UEFA cup in 1984, a game which was not shown live on tv.

• The Bootlegger used to be OK, had a good range of ciders at one point, but lately they've been knocking out Kopparberg at about a fiver a bottle, proclaiming it a great deal.

The Rose and Crown is my pub of choice nowadays, glad I found it as pubs in Wycombe are generally dire.

• I recently found a great little book "Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Pubs", by John Camp, published 1965. It lists three pubs in High Wycombe for special mention, one of which is Ye Exchange. An Aylesbury Brewery Company pub, serving salami and sandwiches at the bar, and with Watney's Red Barrel listed as a "special drink". The pub "stands on the main A40 road just west of the turning to Hughenden".
    Frequented by American servicemen, the book says, with additional character provided by the two licensees, bearing the name of Plato and known as The Battling Brothers.
    Does anyone remember the pub, when did it close, could a decent pint be obtained in there?

• According to this, @PeterLerner,

https://pubwiki.co.uk/Buckinghamshire/HighWycombe/YeExchange.shtml

It was at 34 Oxford Street, which would have been next to Beadle & Chrome, so now demolished to accomodate the "new" inner relief road.

Personally I don't recall it.

• edited January 2022

@PeterLerner said:
    I recently found a great little book "Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Pubs", by John Camp, published 1965. It lists three pubs in High Wycombe for special mention, one of which is Ye Exchange. An Aylesbury Brewery Company pub, serving salami and sandwiches at the bar, and with Watney's Red Barrel listed as a "special drink". The pub "stands on the main A40 road just west of the turning to Hughenden".
    Frequented by American servicemen, the book says, with additional character provided by the two licensees, bearing the name of Plato and known as The Battling Brothers.
    Does anyone remember the pub, when did it close, could a decent pint be obtained in there?

I wondered where I recalled your name from. From what I recall, John Camp the Elder was quite a prolific author and his son was chairman of the local CAMRA branch 40 years ago. (is this the definition of 'esoteric'?).

N.B. The pub was still around in 1980.

• It’s been many years since I lived in Wycombe but I used to frequent the KGV, the Havelock and the other ones name escapes me it was further on on the right towards Beaconsfield

• @MorrisItal_ said:
    It’s been many years since I lived in Wycombe but I used to frequent the KGV, the Havelock and the other ones name escapes me it was further on on the right towards Beaconsfield

Was that The Half Way House? I admit my memory is hazy as I lived thereabouts (Hammersley Lane) only until 1968.

• @HomerLone said:

@MorrisItal_ said:
    It’s been many years since I lived in Wycombe but I used to frequent the KGV, the Havelock and the other ones name escapes me it was further on on the right towards Beaconsfield

Was that The Half Way House? I admit my memory is hazy as I lived thereabouts (Hammersley Lane) only until 1968.

Yes thanks that was it I don’t know if they are still going as I haven’t been down that end of town for 20 years

• The Mason Arms is currently closed and not sure if it will reopen. It's a tragedy for the Saffron Platt area where the Wanderers were first born. The Steam Engine pub, where the Chairboys were formed (that became the Irish club has gone) along with the Nags head,Pheasant,Gordon Arms,Trades and Social club,RAF club and Iron Duke.
    Currently only the Belle Vue survives.

• John Camp the Elder also wrote a book on Bells and Bellringing, subsequently revised by his son John Edward Camp (died 2016), who was briefly a Curate at High Wycombe

• Was Masons Arms the Sausage Tree for a bit?

• @peterparrotface said:
    Was Masons Arms the Sausage Tree for a bit?

Yes, but back as the Masons now.

• edited January 2022

The Masons Arms is subject to a planning application submitted in May to turn part of it in to two flats.

• @Twizz said:
    According to this, @PeterLerner,

It was at 34 Oxford Street, which would have been next to Beadle & Chrome, so now demolished to accomodate the "new" inner relief road.

Yep, that's exactly where it was - I remembers it well. I could literally write a book on pubs that have disappeared in my time. Off the top of my head, in or near the town centre: The Red Cross Knight, Ye Exchange, The Rose, The Gate, The Desborough Arms (once my local and an all-time favourite) The Saracen's Head, The Half Moon, The Gordon Arms (another local for me and a lovely pub) The Morning Star (total riot) The Iron Duke, The Red Cow, The King's Head, The Bull, The White Hart, The Coach & Horses, The Anchor (pub's like that don't exist any more - good for a post-match drink in the Loakes Park days). It's a long time since I've been to Wycombe so I expect there are others. For what it's worth, the Antelope 30 years ago was my favourite town-centre pub and sadly it's unlikely there'll ever be anything quite like it again. Different times.

• Masons is now to re-open. Exact date to be announced.

• @LDF said:

@Twizz said:
    According to this, @PeterLerner,

Yep, that's exactly where it was - I remembers it well. I could literally write a book on pubs that have disappeared in my time. Off the top of my head, in or near the town centre: The Red Cross Knight, Ye Exchange, The Rose, The Gate, The Desborough Arms (once my local and an all-time favourite) The Saracen's Head, The Half Moon, The Gordon Arms (another local for me and a lovely pub) The Morning Star (total riot) The Iron Duke, The Red Cow, The King's Head, The Bull, The White Hart, The Coach & Horses, The Anchor (pub's like that don't exist any more - good for a post-match drink in the Loakes Park days). It's a long time since I've been to Wycombe so I expect there are others. For what it's worth, the Antelope 30 years ago was my favourite town-centre pub and sadly it's unlikely there'll ever be anything quite like it again. Different times.

The Morning Star! A pint, a fight, the usual Morning Star night!

• When I was a lad I often was glad
    That I had a good choice when out boozing
    But sixty years on and with many pubs gone
    In Wycombe, those options I’m losing

I can’t meet a mate at The Bull or The Gate
    To The Saracens Head no-one goes
    I can’t sample the charms of The Chairmakers Arms,
    The White Hart, The Van or The Rose

No-one leans on the bar at the old Morning Star
    The Live and Let Live is now dead
    And people have found that you can’t buy a round
    In The Halfway House or The Nags Head

In my lifetime I’ve seen the demise of The Queen,
    The Half Moon, The Globe, The Red Cow
    The Iron Duke’s door is open no more
    And The Turnpike serves nobody now

This could do with a half decent last verse just to tidy things up, reflecting on the demise of the pub in general terms. Any takers?

• Something about a bowl of Cheerios and a gig at Heroes & Zeroes?

Maybe not!

• @LordMandeville said:
    When I was a lad I often was glad

This could do with a half decent last verse just to tidy things up, reflecting on the demise of the pub in general terms. Any takers?

????? well done that man

• @LordMandeville said:
    When I was a lad I often was glad

Love it

• LX1LX1
    edited March 2022

And whilst this is sad in a World that is mad,
    One thing can give us all cheer
    Nothing can beat meeting friends face to face
    We can always find friends in the Vere