Another Wycombe pub closes !!

Comments

• edited March 2022

@LX1 said:
    And whilst this is sad in a World that is mad,
    One thing can give us all cheer
    Nothing can beat meeting friends face to face
    We can always find friends in the Vere

Thank you Mr. 61, that neatly rounds off the ditty - and including the word 'Vere' instead of the replacement word is an added bonus.

• @LordMandeville said:
    When I was a lad I often was glad
    That I had a good choice when out boozing
    But sixty years on and with many pubs gone
    In Wycombe, those options I’m losing

I can’t meet a mate at The Bull or The Gate
    To The Saracens Head no-one goes
    I can’t sample the charms of The Chairmakers Arms,
    The White Hart, The Van or The Rose

No-one leans on the bar at the old Morning Star
    The Live and Let Live is now dead
    And people have found that you can’t buy a round
    In The Halfway House or The Nags Head

In my lifetime I’ve seen the demise of The Queen,
    The Half Moon, The Globe, The Red Cow
    The Iron Duke’s door is open no more
    And The Turnpike serves nobody now

This could do with a half decent last verse just to tidy things up, reflecting on the demise of the pub in general terms. Any takers?

Brilliant! You've done very well so far, I'm sure you'll come up with something.

• Not happy with Mr 61’s suggestion then @CarParkPete ?

• Not with their current range of beer!

• @CarParkPete said:
    Not with their current range of beer!

Right! Didn’t realise you were referring to specifics

• edited March 2022

@LordMandeville said:
    When I was a lad I often was glad
    That I had a good choice when out boozing
    But sixty years on and with many pubs gone
    In Wycombe, those options I’m losing

I can’t meet a mate at The Bull or The Gate
    To The Saracens Head no-one goes
    I can’t sample the charms of The Chairmakers Arms,
    The White Hart, The Van or The Rose

No-one leans on the bar at the old Morning Star
    The Live and Let Live is now dead
    And people have found that you can’t buy a round
    In The Halfway House or The Nags Head

In my lifetime I’ve seen the demise of The Queen,
    The Half Moon, The Globe, The Red Cow
    The Iron Duke’s door is open no more
    And The Turnpike serves nobody now

This could do with a half decent last verse just to tidy things up, reflecting on the demise of the pub in general terms. Any takers?

Wonderful. Reminds me of Flanders and Swanns Slow Train.

• I laughed with friends as I drank at each of them
    good times, no matter what the cost
    but now alone, sad tears run down my cheeks
    as I mourn what we have lost

• Nice one @DevC. A fitting ******* for our times. (Just can’t think of the right word. Zeitgeist isn’t it.)

• Yes, I like that @Lloyd2084

• epitaph?

• Nick Freeman

• One of my all-time favourite places for a drink was the cozy Blues Club under the stand at Loakes Park. Decent pint of Wethereds and others too. Has anyone got a photo of it?

• edited March 2022

Final day at Loakes Park.

If you're on a computer...
    Last Match At Loakes Park (07 May 1990)

If you're on a phone...

• @NewburyWanderer said:
    Final day at Loakes Park.

If you're on a computer...

If you're on a phone...

Everyone's arse gets bigger when you're on your phone. Weird

• Class dress from the lady

• I remember the Flint Cottage just before i moved up here in 1997 - it was a proper boozer as you say and a bit naughty back then. I saw people there openly buying ecstasy on the bar! counting out the pills they were buying being counted out on the bar runs the side Saturday mid-day. Saturday nights was a rave night back then and a pretty good DJ IIRC if you weren't going raving up in town that night. Sunday was also an all ay rave with everything a bit messy by the evening with most of the punters having been in all day. Actually despite the place being a bit rough and ready back then not a bad boozer. I also remember drinking in there before the getting the train up to FA Trophy final with the street outside thronged with Wycombe fans all down the pavement.

• @NewburyWanderer If you post an image with no width or height attributes then it will resize itself for any screen size.

• I don't know if anyone on here knows that after the Blues left Loakes Park and obviously before it was pulled down (either later that summer or the next spring/summer) someone tried to put on an illegal rave on at the Blues Club. Me and my mate heard about it in the Angel the night before and were told that you just turned up and paid when you got there.

Unfortunately the police also heard about it and when we got into the ground and walked round the back of the main stand we were confronted by a very impressive generator and wires leading into the Blues Club but also by a few coppers so we beat a hasty retreat but still spent a few minutes out on the Gasworks Ends leaning on a crowd barrier and reminiscing (about the now late Guru Josh for some reason I think!) before going back into town for a drink. This was in the days of the legendary Club X in one of those factories near where Green Street mets Desborough Road - this was Wycombe's very own all night acid house club up and running by 1989 and still the darkest club I've ever been in - one room aside from the lights was pitch black (anyone remember the club?). Well we ended up at Club X with a young lady who we vaguely knew but had met in town that night and who he got with that night in Club X and who eventually became his wife. So thanks to the unknown rave promoters your rave didn't get going but you caused my friend to meet his future wife.

• @drcongo said:
    @NewburyWanderer If you post an image with no width or height attributes then it will resize itself for any screen size.

Thanks ?

• @BuryExileWasRochdale said:
    I don't know if anyone on here knows that after the Blues left Loakes Park and obviously before it was pulled down (either later that summer or the next spring/summer) someone tried to put on an illegal rave on at the Blues Club. Me and my mate heard about it in the Angel the night before and were told that you just turned up and paid when you got there.

Unfortunately the police also heard about it and when we got into the ground and walked round the back of the main stand we were confronted by a very impressive generator and wires leading into the Blues Club but also by a few coppers so we beat a hasty retreat but still spent a few minutes out on the Gasworks Ends leaning on a crowd barrier and reminiscing (about the now late Guru Josh for some reason I think!) before going back into town for a drink. This was in the days of the legendary Club X in one of those factories near where Green Street mets Desborough Road - this was Wycombe's very own all night acid house club up and running by 1989 and still the darkest club I've ever been in - one room aside from the lights was pitch black (anyone remember the club?). Well we ended up at Club X with a young lady who we vaguely knew but had met in town that night and who he got with that night in Club X and who eventually became his wife. So thanks to the unknown rave promoters your rave didn't get going but you caused my friend to meet his future wife.

I remember club X ! .. I just had a flashback thanks to your post

• I remember Club X. More from a few years later than 1990. Was a great place, hidden amongst the long abandoned factories.

Had several name changes over the years, was known as the Attic for a while. Saw some decent gigs there, but was probably more of a clubbing venue. Popular aswell, often used to attract clubbers from London and the South East.

• Remember it as The Attic. It was certainly very dark.

While we’re on this topic, does anyone remember The London Bus Emporium on Castle Street? Think it was an cavernous old tyres & exhausts garage that was briefly the centre of the Wycombe social scene. Had an open-top double decker bus inside that you could sit in. A stage for bands and comedians, on which I remember Andy Kerr being hypnotised.

Quite popular with Wanderers players on Saturdays after a game.

• The Attic and the London Bus Emporium were my go to late night haunts in the early 90s.

Moshing away to Rage Against the Machine or Nirvana in dark sweaty rooms, ah those were the days

• Club X/The Attic also had incredibly poor ventilation. My eyes used to be streaming coming out of there because of the cigarette smoke.

I do remember the London Bus Emporium on Castle Street, but never went there for some reason. Strange, as I was always out in town at that time. Antelope was always my favourite, along with the Angel/Firkin which would be rammed on a weekend night

• As a mid 20s year old resident of High Wycombe in 2022, where is there that is still even open past 12 that isn't Trilogy or Butlers? Or these wonder tales of pubs from the yester years make me jealous.

• edited April 2022

Chiltern Taps open til at 2 on a Friday night I think - can be lively but is quite random. Not sure what time Heidrun closes? And there's always the Antelope if things get particularly desperate ?

• Fair Chiltern Taps on a Friday, but tales of Wanderers fans overflowing onto the street just seems unbelievable in this day and age

• The club just doesn't feel very present in the town, but that's been a problem for as long as I can remember. That's probably worth a thread in itself...