Skip to content

The definitive ex-player news thread

Comments

• Somehow, Luke Bolton looks like he is going to Luton for the season on loan

• We certainly never saw the best of Luke Bolton. We definately didn't see enough to dismiss him as a player.
    Good luck to him. I think he'll do alright somewhere away from the Man City madness.

• One poster on the Luton forum, thought Luke Bolton was a bit lightweight when we played them !!
    With the exception of John Robertson, he's probably the heaviest wideman I've seen.

• He doesn’t look physically lightweight, but he did seem a touch out of his depth playing competitive first team football. Not for lack of trying and willingness to get stuck in, if anything a little too eager. I’m sure he will have a successful career once he settles in.

• Ted McMinn was a fairly hefty winger

Who was the one we had briefly? McLeod?

• @eric_plant Was it McLeod who made his debut away at Brentford and at HT one of the media team commented on how overweight he looked, not realising they were still broadcasting.

• He did, although I didn't realise that had been said!

His shirt was certainly a snug fit

• Andy Reid whilst not always played as a wide man, he was certain a wideman !!

• Bolton looked much more of a full back to me. But perhaps he didn't get the luck with injuries or get into it fully to show his full winger capabilities.

• John Cornforth was a bit rotund wasn't he, though in fairness, he wasn't a winger.

• Cornforth rarely ventured out of the cente circle.
    A chap who had a brief spell with the reserves but had a long career at Flackwell and Marlow was Kenny Glasgow, now he was a hefty wideman.
    Which has prompted my memory of the late Roy Fairchild, another winger who had quite an ample frame.

• Roy Fairchild - that name brings back some memories @ChasHarps - did he go to Australia or am I getting confused? I was shocked to read he had died so young.

• Roy had emigrated to Australia, tragically died suddenly when returning home to visit his family.

• @ChasHarps said:
    Cornforth rarely ventured out of the cente circle.
    A chap who had a brief spell with the reserves but had a long career at Flackwell and Marlow was Kenny Glasgow, now he was a hefty wideman.
    Which has prompted my memory of the late Roy Fairchild, another winger who had quite an ample frame.

Last I met Kenny, 3ish years ago, his knees were so badly shot, he almost had to walk with a stick. Must surely have had them replaced by now.

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    John Cornforth was a bit rotund wasn't he, though in fairness, he wasn't a winger.

I was a season ticket holder with my old man in the family stand during the Cornforth days. A larger, old lad who sat behind me would bellow "you're rubbish, aren't you Cornforth?!" at some stage during every match, without fail. I seem to recall that on the rare occasions he did venture out of the centre circle, he had a bit of a penchant for smashing it into the top corner.

• Cornforth was a great player at Swansea but had unfortunately lost his limited mobility by the time he got to Wycombe. I remember being excited by his signing but he never really hit the heights

• scored a screamer against Fulham

A goal I missed as I was stuck in a standstill on the Marlow bypass and didn't get to Adams Park until half time

• Cornforth was embroiled in some legal case before he came to us, where he'd seriously injured someone? Maybe ended their career?

I presumed we'd got some sort of hard man.

Instead, we had a big man, who was a passer, but not a mover.

Still, that one season we started near the top of the league he scored quite a few goals.

• Chance to watch Nathan Tyson on BT Sport right now, starting up front for Notts County against Barnet.

• Still no sign of McCarthy or PCH featuring for their new clubs

• I can’t believe you’d sign McCarthy and give him squad number 2 if you didn’t intend on making him part of the first team squad. I can only assume he’s injured.

• They’re a funny bunch at Millwall. Look at the way they treated Fred.
    (Name and address withheld.)

• Not sure squad numbers mean anything anymore do they @Chris? He could have just asked for it.

• Paris went there and didn't have a marvellous time either.
    Yes it's a division up and all that, but just from our players experiences there it looks a tough gig to fit in.

• In the WBA v Millwall game only West Brom’s 2 & Millwall’s 1, 2 & 4 didn’t play a part in the game (4 was an unused sub) from the 1-11 squad numbers.

My inclination is that they are still an indicator of something.

• Pretty rare these days.

• @Chris - Why is Bayo number 20, Fred number 23 and CMS 9 then?

• Why did Bloomfield ever get Number 10?! That's a big question.

• Former Chairboy Tom Heaton warned about time wasting.....taught him well!

• @floyd said:
    Not sure squad numbers mean anything anymore do they @Chris? He could have just asked for it.

Serious lack of ambition imo, asking to be number 2