Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Burton

Comments

• Can you appeal and get yellow cards over turned ?

• Don't tekk anyone, but thats the sort of win that marks promotion winning teams.

• Find a way to win when you're not playing well, that's the secret.

Squad depth definitely was the difference tonight.

Well done to one and all, including the vocal support from the fans at the end.

As an aside the commentator on Sky+ was pretty decent, I thought.

• Was brilliant tonight. Was worried after getting the yellow early doors, but was a joy to watch.

• That is why Josh Scowen plays further forward. Absolute masterclass. McCleary brilliant off the bench, Fred lively, Udoh a handful - just need to sharpen up at the back. Having Morley sit does so much for our attacking play but I wonder if it leaves us slightly short at the back because he isn’t Josh Scowen

• If they are all like that I’m not sure how many more i’ll get through mind - could’ve made it more comfortable!

• Sky Commentator’s final line:

‘ Matt Bloomfield’s doing wonderful things at Wycombe Wanderers’

Not a particularly great game (fantastic performance from Scowen though), but great to get a win and does really feel like this could be a very special season!

• First of all, we were the better side and 100% deserved to win that. However it was not the enjoyable evening I had in mind (see earlier post) and I don’t think we played particularly well.

It was a hard watch, we were sloppy at times and our defending looked nervy.

I have to agree with other views that some of our defensive problems lead from Franco’s lack of ability to command the box. I don’t know how far away Bishop is but I think a change of keeper is absolutely necessary.

I may be moaning a bit but we are now in a wonderful position. We look so good going forward. Our attacking play is an absolute joy.

And how good was Scowen? Just a shame he will miss Saturday now.

• Just posted that on another thread. He is Championship quality in every game.

• We've now scored more league goals than Birmingham! If we could just tighten up a bit at the back...

• Thought the Sky commentator was great tonight, easily the best so far this season, can we just keep him for our other games please

• He was good, but he couldn't pronounce Kodua and Onyedinma correctly!

• Everything apart from him trying to pronounce Onyedimna , it really isn't that hard.

• We really do look dangerous in attack. Good to see we can mix things up too. In some games this season we've opened teams up with long balls over the top of the defence. Tonight we worked it wide to get forward and then found nice intricate passing on the edge of their box to get behind the full backs. It looks like there are attacking patterns developing that are distinct to each game and the way the opposition are setup. That suggests the team are well coached and receiving clear tactical instructions.

• Not the most consistent 90 minutes we've put in, but I thought in spells we played some of our best football of the season. We just look full of goals this season, it's an absolute joy to watch.

Scowen's performance was outstanding, tempted to say he's a lower division De Bruyne, but there was nothing lower division about how he played this evening.

I generally hate moaning about refs, but that was really poor tonight. No consistency whatsoever. The bookings seemed completely random at times. How was Fred booked for a non challenge on the keeper and a couple of minutes later their player avoided a booking for putting the boot in on Franco? Some really odd decisions throughout the match.

• Win our game in hand and we go second.

SECOND

• Didn’t play well tonight but won . Isn’t that a sign of a good team? We are conceding too many goals. We cannot keep having to score 2 or 3 every game.

• It's great to be sitting third with a game in hand on second place, scoring plenty of goals, winning matches and yet still have some fairly obvious improvements, in defence and attack, that I'm sure we can make.

This season is developing nicely.

• Highest scoring team in the league (above Peterborough on GPG)

• They’re not slippy, they’re slippery.

My maternal grandmother who was an Essex girl (from Witham) and would be 142 now - to quote the Irish mrs micra “aah, sure but she would never have lived that long” - always reduced slippery to slippy and must have been partly responsible for the corruption. She also always reduced spaniel (we had cockers at one time) to spannel.

I didn’t dare “correct” her.

• Agreed! Only two clean sheets, and 5 of our 11 matches have seen us concede 2 or 3.

That being said, "are we not entertained?" Bloomsball is going to be an exhilarating era if nothing else!

• Burton had to win. As will Orient. We are not going to find many teams that we can turn over in League 1. It's going to be a slog. The team that has the squad to score a load of goals whilst keeping clean sheets will be the one that goes up with a perfect record. I suspect that will never be us. If we have to score three goals to win every game I will be happy. Exciting isn't it?

• This team, huh?

• Just back from Burton, it's the sort of midweek away trip I've cut down on a bit in recent seasons following the advent of vipienne but we've been such a good watch recently I felt almost compelled to make the effort and sure enough, another exciting match, it's strange to turn up expecting to see us bang in at least 2 or 3 goals per game.

The transformation from last winter is unbelievable and Bloomfield deserves so much credit for that. If you look at the league table, there are some massive clubs that would dwarf our resources but we are right up there mixing it with the very best of them.

We have a potent mix of spirit and teamwork combined with no little skill, it's a joy to watch and I think we must say this is the strongest squad we have ever had. The depth is certainly the best and I was never worried about tonight's result, certainly helps when you can turn to players like Udoh, Fred, McCleary, Humphreys and Butcher on your bench!