Skip to content

Comments

• It was a shame that he was so poorly advised a year ago, rubbed up a lot of people at the club the wrong way and some probably won't forgive him. Gaz has made the decision that he was prepared to work with him again, and that the benefit of him returning to the squad outweighs any resentment that may remain about the way that he turned his back on the club.

• If he plays well and gives it his all , I don't care what he has done . I personally have much less respect for Beavon , Stewart has youth as an excuse and I think it is a good signing .

• Ultimately he wasted nearly a year of his career, as he's back hopefully he realises that. I think it's a great signing and if he can pick up where he left off a year ago it's great for us.

• @bourne70 I'm personally prepared to let it be water under the bridge, as you say he was young and (presumably) badly advised. Though by the same token I'd fully sympathise with anyone who has misgivings about him returning given the lack of respect he showed the club. Hopefully he's drawn the right conclusions from his year in the wilderness and will come back a more mature and professional player.

• Everybody deserves a second chance and we all know the ins and outs that he was poorly advised but we all know what a good player he is and first time round he was one of the first on the team sheet. Welcome back Anthony.

• @ReadingMarginalista your word of the day seems to be "professional." Nothing unprofessional about turning down a new contract offer after contract has expired.

• Welcome back. He will make an awesome duo with Pierre. Let's all get behind him.

• If GA is prepared to trust him, we should be too. He and Pierre are going go terrify some League 2 forwards.

Two year deal gives both sides some security as well.

• As long as he comes back to the club in good shape and willing to work hard, then we should all be glad to have Stewart back.

However, the bar was significantly raised by Pierre and Mawson last season so he will need to get his head down to emulate their success.

• He was poorly advised by 'his people' and he treated the club disrespectfully by not even speaking to Dave Robertson about his intentions. Leave if you want. Respect the people that gave you a chance in the first place.
    That being said I would imagine there has been 12 months of reflection on his behalf and I was interested to see him at the play-off semi and final (I think both) so the healing had begun. If he is man enough to say 'I &&&&ed up' either by word or deed and GA feels that is good enough then I am delighted to have him bag. A superb player on his day and we have got another player in the squad that we can develop to our mutual benefit.

Interestingly, did we get a fee from Crewe. In which case this is just super business all round.

• Stewart returning anything to do with Roberton stepping down from the board I wonder?

• Hey we all make mistakes; live and learn, move on. Welcome back

• All is forgiven Anthony Stewart, and if you don't mind Stewart, please can you keep up the Central pair tradition at the back and place a wager with Pierre, who will score the most.

Glad we got that sorted.

• That's a good piece of business by GA in my book.

Something that works well for everyone too.

Stewart has clearly been badly advised. Although he doesn't get off scott free as his agent works for him not the other way around. Nonetheless he's not the first young man to believe someone that has told him he could make more money and improve his career prospects elsewhere. He (like anyone else) deserves a second chance.

I hadn't realised he'd come to the play-off matches and I think that would have taken a bit of pride swallowing on his part given how things eventually turned out for him.

However, he's not exactly hot property at the minute having struggled to get a club last season and having been released after a short spell as Crewe's 4th choice centre-half. Other than this deal he was probably looking at Conference football.

Fortunately, however, we're just about the only club in the League who know how good a player he actually is. I think he's a very, very good young defender with his best years all still in front of him

If Mawson's going elsewhere, as may well be the case then a defence of Jombati, Jacobson, Stewart and Pierre is more than respectable in this division.

• Hear hear @Noodle_Noggin. Anthony was always polite and friendly (along with his mate, Charles Dunne) whenever I bumped into them. No doubt he has matured a lot over the last year or so and will be an excellent addition to the squad.

• Hope he won't destroy the team spirit in the squad we had last year. Hopefully he has grown up a bit and realised he is probably not as good as he thought he was.

• @Gordon_Ottershaw Stewart's return has nothing at all to go with Robertson stepping down.

• anyone know why he did not get many games at crewe?

• @trevor said:
    anyone know why he did not get many games at crewe?

Just a hunch, but I guess it was because the manager didn't pick him.

• Welcome back. A good signing.

• @trevor said:
    anyone know why he did not get many games at crewe?

Just a hunch, but I guess it was because the manager didn't pick him.

well if he was a good signing he would of played games at crewe surely?

• edited June 2015

I remember Pierre and Stewart combining well at Torquay (not that Torquay offered much threat). A quick google suggests they only lined up together two other times, away at Fleetwood and at home to Bristol Rovers, both losses. So it won't necessarily be a partnership with the level of understanding that Pierre-Mawson had - but they're similar players and will complement each other well.

• I like the idea of Pierre and Stewart having a goal wager as I always thought Stewart was good playing out of defence and could even have pushed a little further into a midfield role if required.

Welcome back Anthony. COYB!!!

• I'm quite pleased to see him back. I always thought he was more promising than Dunne with a great calmness and composure.

• Can we read into this that Alfie mawson won't becoming to wycombe?

• How come we did not hear this from blueh-w? Has the world gone mad?

• i think this Mawson will not be signing, could you image if we got Mawson (Def MF) Grant, that would be a heck of a starting 11!

• We didn't get a fee for Anthony Stewart because we loaned him out to Crewe!

• Welwyn Wanderer...take it as read Mawson will not sign for us....not a cat in hells chance.

• So effectively under the u24 FA rules Stewart was still registered to us??? was he?? so confused with all that drama. Anyway no stress, he's back in the fold.