Skip to content

Samaritans Score Prediction 24/5

edited July 25 in Football

Assuming there is support, I will again run the charity fundraising score prediction contest for another season.

Remember this is, as before, intended as a competition raising funds for a good cause but I recognise that different people are in different financial circumstances.

IF MAKING A DONATION IS DIFFICULT FOR YOU

That's fine. I don't need to know. Just predict as normal and don't make a donation. No questions asked

IF YOU CAN AFFORD IT

I request a donation of at least £10 be made at the following link https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/gasroomfundraising

If you can afford a little more, that would also be much appreciated as charities costs have also spiralled. Please also tick the gift aid box if you are a taxpayer.

I have again chosen my local branch of the Samaritans as beneficiary as I know the difference our donations make to them. Just a reminder that calls are distributed nationally to the first available branch so it may well be that they are currently offering confidential non-judgemental support to a High Wycombe person in trouble and in desperate need of someone to talk to. Your donation pays directly for that branch's lighting, phone bills, heating, council tax, boiler repair etc. etc. and hence allows them to be there if you or your mate or your family member needs to make a call tomorrow.

Rules are unchanged as I cant be arsed to redo the spreadsheet. Summary is here but again just predict the score and I'll do the rest. https://gasroom.org/discussion/6110/annual-charity-prediction-competitions#latest)

First up is Wrexham away in just over a fortnight. Predictions here please. I'll probably just use this thread throughout the season so if you want you can predict one game or the whole season now.

Comments

• The best piece of re-signing news of the summer. Great work @DevC and once again, thanks for running this.

• Thanks @DevC really enjoy this

• Great stuff @DevC. This could be my year ...

• Cheers @DevC - looking forward to it again. And all for a worthy cause

• Opening day 0-3 win to put to rest last years opening

• a40a40
    edited July 25

I’m in. Thanks for running this again @DevC

let the wins begin.

• I'm in, donation made.

First up, Wrecsam 1 Wycombe 2

• Cheers Dev, all paid up and waiting for the big kick off. Hoping my innate pessimism sees me cast adrift at the bottom of the table.

• Have made my donation

Wrexham 1 Wycombe 3

• edited July 26

Paid. I will wait predicting until we sign "the player"!

• Thanks @DevC

I will sort out donation over the weekend & make a prediction next week

• Wrexham 2 - 1 Wycombe

• edited July 26

100% (as in the current synonym for absolutely). I’ll stay positive and say “sorry, @our_frank, this could be my year”!

2-2 please.

• @DevC am I right in thinking that the donation total is a cumulative amount over several seasons?

I'd love to think it wasn’t!

• Absolutely. Thanks @DevC. Donation made.

• edited July 26

Afraid so, Micra. We make about £400 per year plus a bit more for gift aid which doesn’t show in the total.

Worth saying that each branch raises all its own money so £400 really does make a difference. We reckon it costs about £1 a call in heating, IT , rates, telephone etc etc , so our £400 does directly fund around 400 calls from callers in distress.

Every single donation genuinely does make a difference. It was £1285 at start of week - would be nice to see it too £1700 this season - may need a newbie or two to get there though as I sense gasroom May have lost a few heads over the last year??

• Paid and looking forward to the coming season.

• Thanks @DevC for the information about donations. As you say, it would be good to get the total up to £1,700.

I think a few regulars have been having a break during the close season. Good to see @Wendoverman back, if only on this thread perhaps for another couple of weeks.

• I would love to see @SmiroludyBlue back this season. Hope she is OK.

Thanks for all the (impressively sized) donations so far.

• Not sure on what platform (?) I saw it but she recently completed a 50km trek. I say trek because I’m not sure if it was running or walking or a combination of the two. I lost touch with her a couple of years ago but I seem to remember offering to sponsor her for an upcoming walk or climb at one point.

• Thanks @DevC - donation made

• Here we go again… Wrexham 2 Wycombe 2

i will donate shortly and thank you @DevC and @railwaybeth for yours

• edited July 29

As a score prediction thread this is truly like no other. Half a dozen predictions (?) but mostly a pleasant coming together of Gasroom regulars waiting perhaps for our special guest from Wrexham to offer his own unbiased prediction.

• Wrexham 2 - 2 Wycombe

• Paid up @DevC !

Parkinson will know what he's going to get...but despite the hope and optimism the first episode of new season needs a swift reminder of how tough it is in League One against a team who can grind out out a result....so

1-2 to the Chair boys.

Good luck everyone.

• Welcome back, Sir.

• edited July 30

Thanks @our_frank and @micra . My plans this year are to enjoy the footy, win the Prediction League (obviously) and apart from the poor unfortunates near me at AP, keep my opinions to myself. Which was hard....but proved a great success over the summer! 😉

Despite the bookies and supercomputer predictions I have a feeling this might be another good season!

COYB

• Echo the ‘good to see you back’ comments @Wendoverman

This community is better for your presence however limited you need to keep it for your sanity

• Oh and I’ve paid up @DevC

I went for the monthly subscription offer, so unless I tear up my virtual score predicting ticket due to my predictions taking me to the top of the table….

Wrexham 3 - 0 Wycombe