Skip to content

Olympics 2024

Comments

• Annnnnnyway

The cruelness of sport with the BMX final. Beth smashing every round and then the final went so wrong. Heartbreaking.

Bryony Page might be my Olympic hero. Until later today when I get another. Until Bryony the ladies 4 rowing team were my heroes.

Only a week to go. Drink it in people.

• The French judoka might be my hero to be honest - what a man!

• He seems so nice. And as always I cringe that he comes over to the BBC and does a lovely interview in English. God we are an ignorant bunch when it comes to language.

As he is one of the poster boys of the Olympics I recalled flying into LHR in 2012 in July and seeing a massive image of Jess Ennis in a field as you came to land. And then a couple of weeks later that image was replaced by Ellie Simmons for the Paralympics. Can you imagine the added pressure of being the face of a home Olympics and THEN delivering.

There is a lovely clip online (there are some nice things on x at the moment too) of Hannah Scott (rowing hero) dancing with an athlete from Taiwan(?) on a stage in front of the Eiffel Tower. It's just joyful. Both with their medals. It's the power of sport. Find it. Dunno why but you will smile, I guarantee.

• So @bargepole. I still don’t know whether you, with you great intellectual prowess, think Imane Khelif should be allowed to compete in the Olympics or not?

• There is no simple answer to this. Clearly, it is not a transgender issue, as she was born female and is biologically female.

However, the fact that she and another boxer failed a gender elegibility test last year, does raise questions about whether she has been using performance-enhancing drugs, and it appears that her testosterone levels were well above what was expected from a female boxer. Maybe the IOC should have carried out more rigorous testing, but I don't know the details of that.

Her next opponent has certainly raised some concerns:

Imane Khelif competing in women's boxing not fair, says Hungarian opponent - BBC Sport

• There is no simple answer. What is quite simple though is that people should do some research before sounding off on an issue. A number of ‘celebs’ are having to roll back on previous tweets now as they went down the route of assuming this was Tyson Fury in a miniskirt.

There is an issue about men in women’s sport. But this is not that issue.

• “There is no simple answer to this…”

Doh!

So why give one earlier?

(And your snide ‘questions about her using performance-enhancing drugs’ continues to overlook demonstrably biological changes that can occur in some people as an equal possibility.)

• edited August 3

No one cried about having to compete against Michael Phelps in the swimming when it was pretty clear he has a number of differences to his physical body as a result of quirks in the human gnome that gave him massive advantages. Including:

• massive hands and feet,
    • a torso is the size of the one you would expect to see on a man who is 6 feet 8 inches tall, giving him both a high natural buoyancy and lung capacity.
    • exemplary shoulder and ankle flexibility and has hyperextension in his joints

I guess the main difference is because boxing results getting punched in the face and there’s always an element that hates boxing because being punched in the face is the point of it, while other elements never liked women boxing in the first place, so it’s an opportunity to disrespect the sport as a whole.

In an increasingly competitive sporting world, where marginal gains may give you the edge over your competitors, you will always find - and for want of a better word - the “freaks” of nature that have specific skills or physical advantages that can take them to the top of a sport.

In the case of this boxer, she was born a female and until any evidence can be shown to suggest she is anything but, you’re going to have to find a way to defeat her if you want to be classed the best.

The irony here, of course, is until this week, her boxing record has been average at best. Against other women.

• The Doc might regret his response if he ever wants legal help to challenge the parking ticket he got on his Roller!

• If your born a women and pass a thorough drugs test, what's the problem, end of. There is always going to be the physically strongest participant in any sport (Bayo for example), but physicality is not the only ingredient that makes a winner.

• Golf is not an Olympic sport, personally I would like to see the return of Tug of War to the Olympic Games .

It would be a magnificent spectacle especially if we had some sort of pit ( nothing too dangerous) .

Here is our victorious 1904 team (many of them are no longer with us, well played chaps)

• On the controversy surrounding the participation of the Algerian boxer Imane Khelif. Who, it's worth noting, was born in a country that recognises either males or females without any ambiguity or tolerance of anything else.

I'll say I found this to be of help, and would suggest it's worth a read.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/differences-in-sex-development/#:~:text=Differences%20in%20sex%20development%20(DSD,different%20to%20most%20other%20people's.

• I’m intrigued. As a very emotional person, I often find myself in tears, sometimes totally unexpectedly when reading something out loud to mrs micra or watching TV dramas such as One Day or Lost Boys and Fairies. Our respective reactions are counter to what, traditionally, is supposed to be the case. 50 odd years in nursing has probably hardened mrs micra emotionally (or perhaps even physiologically) because I honestly cannot remember her shedding tears despite being the kindest, most empathetic and generous person I know.

It’s good to know that you two hard men of the Gasroom (?!) both have the maturity and honesty to acknowledge the emotional impact that those scenes/interviews etc had on you. You won’t be surprised that I would love to have a link to any or all of what you describe.

• No, I’m second from the left, front row. I was 14 at the time, a big lad, and mother couldn’t afford to buy me the official kit.

• edited August 3

Try this @micra

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/differences-in-sex-development

(Highlight the entire link and copy/paste into a browser might be easiest).

• whoops @Twizz - the above was what came up. Not sure if it’s what you were referring to!! @glasshalfempty is right. Gold medal technofail, me.

• I am as much as the hardman of the gasroom as Steve Baker is the hardman of Brexit. I don't understand myself how earlier this morning in the middle of reading a tweet regarding the father of one of the rowers passing away I could only make the first 3 or 4 words. This is a difficult time for me and long suffering wife as I constantly say 'oooo oooo listen to this' only for my voice to crack a couple of words in and us both be embarrassed as I mumble off without finishing the 280 characters. Can you imagine having skin in the game?

• edited August 3

@glasshalffull of course. Not the other chap. The names up one above the other and it’s dead easy to pick the wrong one.

• I have, appropriately, shedloads of skin in that game. But in my teens I experienced a very different manifestation of inability to keep reading that has probably affected me more than I realise.

The school assembly hall was unavailable one morning so we had classroom prayers. Without prior warning, I was presented with a copy of the bible and asked to stand out front and read a fairly lengthy passage. I had barely completed the first sentence when a weird constriction in my throat - sheer nerves, I’m sure - prevented me from carrying on. The form master took the bible from me and told me to sit down. No sympathy and nothing ever said about it subsequently.

In English Literature lessons, class members, in alphabetical order (the way we were seated) had to read a paragraph each of whichever book we were studying. I used to sit nervously keeping an eye on the clock, hoping against hope that my turn wouldn’t be reached. It was on one or two occasions and I managed to stumble through.

No way should you or your wife or anyone else be embarrassed about reacting emotionally as a result of your admirable empathy with other people and their grief. There’s too little of that in today’s world.

• The Dutch woman running the last leg of the mixed 400m relay was astonishing.

• I don't know if you have read into the circumstances of the "gender test" carried out by the discredited International Boxing Association, but it sounds pretty suspect.

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/08/02/sport/who-is-imane-khelif-olympic-boxer-intl/index.html

• Wasn’t she just! Fourth at the changeover, 20 metres behind the first 3 down the back straight and still fourth going into the home straight. Sensational running.

• Unbelievable anchor leg.

Her PB for 400m is 49.17, her split time of 47.93 saw her run over a second faster than she did for the Netherlands in the World Championship Final in 2022.

The 2023 WC Final not so good!

https://youtu.be/l42mHnyiWz0?si=_NjBkQg1OR8JikBm

• Bol is a fantastic 400m hurdler, 2023 world champion at the event and second fastest of all time, and throws in the odd 400m, being this year’s indoor 400m world champion. Bearing in mind she had a moving start as you do in the relay, that chase down was not unexpected and it’s why relays can be such great events.

Bol looks in great form and could take the 400m hurdles WR this week.

• Little bit more of a relaxed day today compared to others and after recent emotions I need a recharge. TOMORROW is going to get crazy. Mixed triathlon is a good start to your day at 7am. Those looking for a niche sport injection will love kayak cross and then the climbing. The former I have never seen before Paris but is like Olympic It's a Knockout. And track cycling starts too. Heart broken still for Katie Archibald but lots of hopes still.

• Yes tomorrow does look spectacular! Today does also have women’s 800m and men’s 1500m semis, where we have some incredible athletes, so looking forward to watching those two. Plus, of course, the men’s 100m final - perhaps not as fun as when Usain was dominating but more open certainly!

• Keely Hodkinson will be my highlight of the day. I love that girl and hope upon hope she gets a podium in the final. If you have not seen Josh Kerr's interview after his heat check it out. Brilliant arrogance and I am all here for it.