Skip to content

Squad Numbers

The squad numbers have been released and it's interesting that Franco has been given the No.1 shirt over Bishop, or is that just me?

The full squad list is:

1. Franco RAVIZZOLI

2. Jack GRIMMER

3. Dan HARVIE

4. Josh SCOWEN

5. Alex HARTRIDGE

6. Ryan TAFAZOLLI

7. David WHEELER

8. Matt BUTCHER

9. Sam VOKES

10. Luke LEAHY

11. Dan UDOH

12. Garath McCLEARY

13. Laurie SHALA

15. Jack YOUNG

16. Tyreeq BAKINSON

17. Joe LOW

18. Brandon HANLAN

22. Nathan BISHOP

23. Kieran SADLIER

24. Richard KONE

25. Declan SKURA

26. Jason McCARTHY

27. Brody PEART

29. Jaiden BARTOLO

30. Beryly LUBALA

31. Jasper PATTENDEN

32. Taylor CLARK

33. Luca WOODHOUSE

34. Jack MATTON

35. Christie WARD

Comments

• Placing Franco above Nathan in the hierarchy feels like a cardinal sin.

• Would have been OK of course if we had also signed Nick Pope.

• Does no 20 mean we're expecting an incoming striker?

• Maybe because Franco is our player and Nathan is just on loan?

Maybe Nathan requested the 22 shirt? Lucky number or something?

• It’s pleasingly continental to have our first choice keeper we’re 22. We’re basically AC Milan.

• No 19, 20, or 21. Three new signings possibly 🤞🤞

• edited July 22

Definitely a little unsettling if Bishop has not trained well enough for the #1, but hopefully it is just tenure/permanency per @Alexo above.

• Surely Bishop has to be Wycombised first and earn his status as our number 1 keeper.

• I think that's exactly it. It's just a bit weird to give a loan player any number between 1 and 11.

• I suppose the Kian Breckin fiasco last season (giving him 8 without confirming he was going to be a nailed on starter) probably strengthens that policy!

• Harry Boyes wearing 11 and not even lasting the full season (I know that was not entirely his fault, the shift in formation etc) probably played a part as well.

• Also interesting that Hartridge got the 5 over Joe Low, and Udoh the 11 over Sadlier. Obviously I am making huge assumptions that the jilted players even wanted those numbers. It would be interesting to know how the whole thing works.

• I’ve always believed you should keep the squad number you are first assigned. Imagine how guttering it would be for fans who got a name printed on their shirt the previous season, only for that player to be renumbered. We used to do it quite frequently I believe (GA, Josh and Forino just some examples).

• edited July 22

Sadlier was no.23 last season and Joe Low was no.17, so they are just keeping the same squad number.

• I think Dan Udoh wore the 11 shirt at Shrewsbury. (Try saying that after a liquid lunch.) One of the snippets that led me to suggest on another thread that he probably isn’t yer archetypal centre forward of old.

• Jasper Pattenden has retained 31 - far too high for someone of his potential prowess. I’ve not checked the list for continuity elsewhere.

• edited July 22

Could also be quite harsh on players who are used to the number they occupy.

"Sorry Vokesy, you're getting on a bit now lad... erm.... yeah.... we are giving number 9 to Kone this season"

• Joe Low has retained 17. Apart from Franco Ravizolli I cannot spot any other examples of established players having been allocated a new number.

• @Gary nailed it above - Scowen and Forino changing to 1-11 shirts recently is why I wondered if players prefer those shirt numbers if they can get them (as it implies they are first team, perhaps).

I do think it would be an interesting question, and if Leahy is on RTB this season regularly again, I may ask it.

• Good to see Jack Young, the wandering troubadour, confirmed as a Wycombe player. He and Jasper Pattenden could become super supersubs this season.

• I hope so but yet to see enough of Young to make a judgement. Jasper is a good young player and will hopefully have more chances this season.

• @Shev. An exclusive scene from: Georgian on My Mind: The Rise and Rise of Wycombe Wanderers

Scene: Wycombe Wanderers' Manager's Office, Booker. Two athletic figures in leisure wear are visible through the haze of cigar smoke, either side of a desk.

Bloomfield: So, Alex, will you sign? You are exactly the cultured defensive lynchpin we need to build around as we begin our inexorable climb to the Premier League. We'll stretch to £2.5k a week, we'll help you find a property in Marlow with a river view and give you a prime peg in the plush new locker rooms in Harlington.

Hartridge: I want to help you, Matt and I'll sign for £2k and a semi in Widmer End, so long as I can have the number 5 shirt: it's the only number for a self-respecting centre-half and an absolute red line.

Bloomfield: [Tension evident in voice] I don't think I can do that Alex. Number 5 is Big Chris's shirt and he's said he'll stay for £1.7k and help with finding a flat overlooking the Eden Centre. But all conditional on keeping the shirt. What about no. 6? Tafazolli's due a downgrade after his Beaconsfield night club shenanigans and his sickening YouTube posing.

Hartridge: [Rises, stubs out cigar meaningfully and moves to the door.] Number 5 or nothing, Matt. I like you Matt, but it's Forino or me ... [Exits]

Bloomfield: [Picks up phone and dials] "Big Evs, mate, how are you? I wondered if you were after a big centre-half with surprisingly good speed and touch - very much in your own image, but a bit less miserable?"

Cut to exterior - immaculate football training ground, with rolling Chiltern countryside beyond. Men in boiler suits in background are erecting "CONDEMNED" sign, while in foreground, suited men in construction helmets talk and stroke chins over large site plans.

• Correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t Man Utd change a number mid-season to accommodate Ronaldo? I’m sure this happened fairly recently?

• Brilliant! And just as I suspected. I will never look at Hartridge the same way again.

• I’d imagine both will be shipped out on loan or sold.

• I am lead to agree I'm afraid. Just looking through the players we now have on the books..... unless we get a massive injury crisis (which of course is always possible).... I don't see either getting near to 1st team action this season.... unless its the tin pot trophy....

• Fred used to wear number 19 for us.

Just saying. He has been mentioned 😀

• Edinson Cavani switched to 21 (vacated by Dan James of all people) to allow Ronaldo to wear 7, but it was before the deadline for submitting squads + squad numbers to the PL

• Don't know how I'd feel about him returning actually.... a very silky and skillful player, but certainly seemed to leave under a cloud....