Skip to content

Which is your favourite Wycombe hill. Amersham or Marlow?

Body isn't required

Fav hill
  1. Amersham or Marlow68 votes
    1. Amersham
      54.41%
    2. Marlow
      45.59%

Comments

• Hillbottom Rd

• Not a hill

• It’s a tricky one, that’s for sure.

• As a teen, Marlow always led to Wycombe High. But the gradient and car fumes were awful

• Whatever happened to car fumes? Exhausts used to belch out clouds of smoke especially on hills. Have they all gone catastrophic ?

• mrs micra reckons I meant catalytic.

• She was a practicing Roman Catholic when I met her and tried to convert me.

I accidentally touched that emulsion. No idea what it is. Can’t delete it.

• Mornington Crescent.

• Amersham Hill. Always the chance of seeing the escape lane in action.

• @micra has the horn

• LX1LX1
    edited July 16

You raise an important point about environmental justice. The poorest communities based on the Townsend index of deprivation suffer the greatest harm on all measures of noxious gases.

Given the lethal nature of these gases and particulates it is a real health issue for everyone

• Porlock Hill

• edited July 17

Has to be Amersham Hill purely on the basis that Marlow Hill is in the fifth ring of hell.

i have walked up it, ran up it, cycled up it, driven up it and slid sideways down it in a car on snow.

I hate it with a passion usually reserved for Al@n Sm*th.

• As per usual this is being portrayed as a "black & white" issue as if other hills don't exist.

Personally I like Hamilton Hill - mainly because I no longer have to walk up it every day to get to the RGS.

I also have a soft spot for Tom Burt's Hill which overlooks the old Loakes Park site.

This could have been such a more nuanced discussion.

• Fair analysis, @Twizz, but how far can you go? New Road, Treadaway Hill, Blind Lane?

• Up Hamilton Hill in the morning, down Amersham Hill in the afternoon. That's what the cool kids did.

(Cool kids being a rather odd thing to say about the RGS briefcase wankers)

• Objection !!

Hamilton Hill does not exist. Never has. It’s in the same category as New Road. A hill by gradient but not by name.

• But EVERYONE calls it Hamilton Hill. Should it be ruled out purely for bureaucratic reasons?

• One of my great sporting achievements is that I once cycled up Bookerhill Road (starting at the Sands end), that was steep enough. The vertiginous Whitelands Road in Castlefield would be a great addition to the Tour de France grand départ that has to happen in High Wycombe one day.

• I'll walk up Hamilton Hill with you @micra, if you still don't think it's a hill when we reach the top I'd be surprised.

*If only we still could, eh?

• Martin O'Neil waxes lyrically about Marlow Hill in his autobiography. So I will always have a soft spot for Marlow Hill. Plus I think I have walked it more times than most. Shout out to Plumer Hill though

• I used to get off my bus at the bottom of Green Hill and walk up through the woods to school dodging feral Wellsbourne youths and the odd furtive old man in a long overcoat en-route. When relationships between RGS and Wellesbourne were strained, used Hamilton instead but that always felt much further.

As I recall, knowledge of the footpath from the Green Hill Woods coming out half way up Hamilton Hill was very useful when cross country games intended the route to go down to the bottom of Green Hill and back up Hamilton.... Did have to be careful to wait long enough before re-entry however - very nearly accidently got myself selected for the school team when badly mistiming this

• Ed_Ed_
    edited July 17

To broaden the discussion to roads up hills the best in Wycombe is Cock Lane. As a Flackwell lad though, even that is a bit rubbish when compared to Treadaway, Juniper Lane, White Pitt Lane, Blind Lane, Sheepridge, Chapman Lane etc. And then there are walking routes down to Loudwater, Wooburn, Bourne End, Little Marlow. How we laughed when someone from Downley or Micklefield piped up about their gradient, fell about the place we did.

• You just try pushing a bike laden with two bags full of the (1960's) Bucks Free Press up Hammersley Lane every Friday and tell me that isn't a hill.

• If only indeed. As you’re young enough to be my son (but don’t worry, I only came to Wycombe 50 years ago!) I’m sure you could still do it in your own good time.

Of course Hamilton Road is a hill - I’ve driven up it many hundreds of times - but (and it’s always irritated me) the road signs have always read Hamilton Road and, as far as I know, still do.