Skip to content

Poor Friendlies

I am slightly worried about the poor level of games we have organised this season, Im wondering if this is because we were in the play offs and are a couple of weeks behind everybody else. I must admit I haven't checked to see what games Southend have managed to arrange before posting this.

Comments

• I have now looked, we have poor games and there really is no excuse that our toughest test will be Aldershot who were very poor last season.

• Another incisive post from b_w! Pre season is not about 'tough tests', it is about fitness, game time, shape, tactics, match preparation. Too 'tough' a test gets the season off on the wrong foot.

• i agree that the games that we have got do not excite me at all...tbh with the lack of playing staff we have we could embarssed!

• Im sorry but GA has got questions to answer regards the games and the poor signings so far. Thompson I am very pleased with but nothing else even on the horizon and Sellers who has no chance of playing for us, will be another Fletcher.

• Do you want to put your house on Sellers never getting a game?

• If Mawson signs today I will take it back, I understand its between us and Swindon.

• @blueh_w So probably Barnsley or Millwall in reality then.

With our close proximity to so many Championship and Premier League clubs, there isn't much excuse not to organise a lucrative friendly against a "big" club and pack out Adams Park, even if said club bring their U21 squad.

• really would love to see Mawson come back but personally cannot see it especially as there are teams for higher leagues looking at him. i think he will go to Barnsley (Swowen influence) or Millwall (Fred influence) i would love to be proved wrong though!!

• The troll strikes again... Although I must admit @blueh_w you are very good at getting a response to your posts.
    Does the quality of the opposition for friendlies really matter that much? Other than maybe as a bit of a cash generator if you can get really decent opposition? I think for the players it's more about gelling as a team, gaining fitness, etc., as others have said.

And as for the signings, how the hell do you know there is nothing else on the horizon? Just because Gaz isn't shouting from the rooftops who he's trying to sign? Or has your 'mate' inside the club told you that he's just sat with his feet up all day playing Candy Crush on his phone?

My guess (and that's all it is - just useless speculation like everyone else) is that he has targets lined up at advanced stages of negotiations but is waiting for certain events to happen. For example he can't sign another centre back until Alfie makes his decision. He may also be waiting for Brentford to make decisions on Yennaris & Saunders before signing others in their place. No point getting anyone else in if Brentford decide to let us have them for another year. It may be a dangerous waiting game as we potentially lose out on the second choices but I'm sure Gaz knows what he is doing.

And that is by far the most important thing - he deserves our full support after what was achieved last season. Not demand that he has 'questions to answer' just because we don't have friendlies against Real Madrid & Barcelona lined up and we haven't signed Messi and Ronaldo yet.

• I saw we have a behind closed doors friendly away and wasn't it at West Brom last season?

• "pre season friendlies are gash"

• I don't think anybody likes friendlies tbh, but the players need some sort of test at some point.
    I agree with GA that the longer Alfie doesn't join another club the better it is for us.

• Quite. Glad to note also that only the odd regular is indulging in totally futile speculation. In these days of greed for instant information is it really too much too ask that we recognise the constraints that the club is operating under and just let things rest for another week or two when all will be officially revealed?

• @micra, we need feeding, or I will wither away at my keyboard or somewhere else while mashing the touchpad.

• @blueh_w A surprising post from someone who purports to know everything that is going on at the club!

• Spot on @micra, i think i preferred the days when the first we heard of new signings was on the back page of the BFP, or, if were really keen, the latest update on Ringing the Blues...

• Midlander
    12:43PM Flag
    @blueh_w A surprising post from someone who purports to know everything that is going on at the club!

I wonder if the source of all WWFC-related knowledge @blueh_w knows which clubs WWFC have contacted and have received contact from regarding arranging friendlies?

• Why won't Sellers play for us, blueh-w? Why would GA buy a player not to play?

• He has brought somebody in who he has only seen train, yes he might be big but since when did that make a footballer !!!

• he has brought a player in he has seen train and probably he or people he trusts has seen him play many a game for his previous development club. He is reasonably well informed about the player.
    You are criticising him for bringing in a player you have never seen train or play and presumably know no-one who has.
    Which judgement of the player would you say is more informed? Who looks the bigger p*llock?

• @Ciderk1d : we may be a little undernourished currently compared with a year ago but I am saddened to think that anyone would be withering away for lack of information! @floyd: totally agree. Today, I have been indulging another obsession - Trip Adisor reviews of local eateries! I think they call it displacement therapy.

• this thread was about friendlies and for a club like ours and our location and how well we did last year to be able to only get 2 national south clubs and 1 national club plus a park team from france who are Ryman standard at best is deplorable

• Maybe it's something to do with the pitch needing time to settle in? That would explain why we haven't got any at home. Frankly, I'd take a season of playing on silky smooth grass ahead of another home drubbing vs the Chelsea C team.

• @aloysius Reading are playing Swansea at AP on July 21, so i don't think it's a seeding in issue.

• WWFC twitter confirms that did intend to have one "prestige" friendly but were let down at the last minute. Presumably by then others already had arrangements fixed. Frankly if all pre-season friendlies were banned, not sure mankind would be significantly worse off.

• blueh-w...nobody had seen Pierre play and Alfie made his debut with us....Surely you should have some faith in GA by now?

• I have it on good authority that the 'prestige friendly' was a game against Franchise, arranged by some dolt at the club. Luckily they were informed of the consequences of such a disgusting act by a wiser person and the friendly was pulled before great embarrassment and humiliation was heaped upon the club

• if that it so K_A_W it sounds like a sackeble offence to me, no written warning

• Ignore any post from blue_w, it works for me!

• Can that be true I abhor violence but for that I'd frogmarch them to the door myself.