Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Three-minute heroes

edited February 2015 in Football

Given the mentions about the mighty Roy Essandoh on another thread, just wondered how many other cult, never-did-anything-else, one-off heroes there are for other clubs. Jimmy Glass for Carlisle obviously springs to mind.

ยซ1

Comments

  • Paul Kerr, came on as a late sub v Blackpool and scored the very late winner and bloomfield rd. Never appeared for Wycombe again.

  • Matty Hanlan of Sutton United/Coventry fame, remember him playing a few games for us under MON.

  • Mark Cooper, scored the winner against Mansfield (I think) that got the win that got the team to the points target Beeks had set them in order to get a paid holiday to Majorca. They celebrated like they'd won the FA Cup

  • @ChasHarps said:
    Paul Kerr, came on as a late sub v Blackpool and scored the very late winner and bloomfield rd. Never appeared for Wycombe again.

    Martin O'Neill said afterwards that the only reason he'd even put him on the bench was because he told him that he always scored against Blackpool

  • That fella that scored the goal for Mansfield to send Rovers down. Colin Daniel was it?

  • Three Minute managers !!
    Buckle got from Cheltenham already
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31424093

  • @ChasHarps said:
    Three Minute managers !!
    Buckle got from Cheltenham already
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31424093

    Another one with Chairboys connections, wasnt he another one to play a handful of games under MON.

  • Luke Moore? Scored a hat trick against Grimsby at Adams Park and remember nothing else of note before his recall?

  • Played 3 times, including coming on as sub at the Hawthorns in the FA Cup replay defeat in 1992.
    Incidentally he won only 1 game in 13 attempts as boss of the Robins, and as that victory
    was against a shitty ex non league club in a neighbouring county, that would have carried little weight with the Cheltenham directors.

  • Lee Holsgrove. Came on against Wigan in the last game of the 98/99 great escape (c) season under Sanchez. Ran the game like a lower league Xavi Alonso. Disappeared without trace

  • Wasn't there some one off flash in the pan young lad called Jordan Ibe or something like that...? Even managed to get booked for celebrating a simple tap in in (from 30 yards).

  • @DJWYC14 said:
    Luke Moore? Scored a hat trick against Grimsby at Adams Park and remember nothing else of note before his recall?

    I think Moore made his debut alongside Tyson, Michael Mahoney-Johnson scored two at Peterboro as we lost 6-3 in 1996, although he was pretty shite.

  • @eric_plant said:
    Lee Holsgrove. Came on against Wigan in the last game of the 98/99 great escape (c) season under Sanchez. Ran the game like a lower league Xavi Alonso. Disappeared without trace

    Loads from that era aren't there? Holsgrove, Nutter, the Leach brothers, Stuart (?) Hole, Gary Wraight, I guess even Alan Beeton fits, tho I'm sure he had more 1st team appearances than the rest put together.

  • The matchday programme is running one of those 'A-Z of Wycombe' features through the season. The Portsmouth programme mentions Jamie McClurg who sat on the bench for one game, didn't get on the pitch and never made the squad again. Even Nicky Walker did better than that!

  • @floyd said:
    Loads from that era aren't there? Holsgrove, Nutter, the Leach brothers, Stuart (?) Hole, Gary Wraight, I guess even Alan Beeton fits, tho I'm sure he had more 1st team appearances than the rest put together.

    Beeton made 55 painful appearences before his head was turned by the Turkish lira of Fenebache or was it Beskitas ?
    Surely the worst player to make 50 apps ??

  • @ChasHarps said:
    Played 3 times, including coming on as sub at the Hawthorns in the FA Cup replay defeat in 1992.

    The excellent COTN confirms my suspicion that he started against WBA:

    http://www.chairboys.co.uk/history/1992-1993/westbrom-a-fac2-15dec1992.htm

    BWK.

  • Beeton's boots were almost completely covered in chalk due to his keenness to operate on a zip wire up and down the line. He was victim of a sickening tirade from the Family Stand from a renowned supporter with a legal background which saw parents covering children's ears and mopping up spilt tears.

    Peter Garland's 5 games in a WWFC shirt remain a thing of beauty and a joy forever.

    Stuart Hole was decent for the Ressies and an very good cricketer.

  • I compiled a list of some obscure Wycombe youth prospects since 1999 from Chairboys on the Net for your pleasure Ned:

    Tom Cadmore
    Lewis Christon
    Lewis Cook
    George Ehui
    Jerome Federico
    Eddie Gray
    Lee Holsgrove
    Peter Holsgrove
    Marc Leach
    Nicky Leach
    Martyn Lee
    Mark Osborn
    Aaron Patton
    Leeyon Phelan
    Andy Reilly
    Robert Rice
    Oliver Taylor
    Ben Townsend
    Gary Wraight

  • I kind of meant this to be about those players who did one headline-grabbing spectacular thing, a la Essandoh or Glass, before disappearing into obscurity. Doesn't necessarily have to be for Wycombe. Surely more clubs have such cult heroes?

  • @Ned_Ludd said:
    The matchday programme is running one of those 'A-Z of Wycombe' features through the season. The Portsmouth programme mentions Jamie McClurg who sat on the bench for one game, didn't get on the pitch and never made the squad again. Even Nicky Walker did better than that!

    I'll see your Jamie McClurg and raise you a Derek Duncan.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derek_Duncan

    0 apps in 2 years - quality.

  • @floyd said:
    Loads from that era aren't there? Holsgrove, Nutter, the Leach brothers, Stuart (?) Hole, Gary Wraight, I guess even Alan Beeton fits, tho I'm sure he had more 1st team appearances than the rest put together.

    There are indeed, but I mentioned Holsgrove because that night he looked absolutely brilliant and then was never really seen again. Who was the kid who took good corners that Poths used to bang on about all the time? Matty Warner was it?

  • Lee Holsgrove played in the League Cup win at Wolves. My Wolves supporting mates all said that, based on that performance, he was going to be the next big thing and how they were hoping they would put in a bid for him...

  • @eric_plant said:
    There are indeed, but I mentioned Holsgrove because that night he looked absolutely brilliant and then was never really seen again. Who was the kid who took good corners that Poths used to bang on about all the time? Matty Warner was it?

    Matty Warner was quality for the youth team and reserves, I don't know why he never made the step up.

    Andy Reilly was a wierd one wasn't he? Look good for half a dozen games and then disappeared to Chesham or somewhere...

  • I used to go to youth and reserve team games klaxon

  • @eric_plant said:
    I used to go to youth and reserve team games klaxon

    Yep, goodness knows how many superfan points you get for getting soaked to the skin at Molins!

  • Didn't Andy Reilly quit football to study at Oxford University or something like that? He looked a decent left back to me.

  • @BillStickers Ben Townsend played in most of the 2001 FA Cup Run - bone fide legend!

  • Ray Wilkins....was absolutely rubbish in his one game for us, but he was famous.

  • Andy Reilly is now a lawyer with Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton in London, according to his LinkedIn

  • George Clegg is another one isn't he? and Lewis Cook.

ยซ1
Sign In or Register to comment.