Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Northampton

1235»

Comments

• He was quiet today, but maybe they just marshalled him well. His form has been good up to today so not a concern for me.

• Don’t you wish we had played like this before Xmas? Winning pretty even games.

• I feel as though we should be at least 10 points better off given all the bizarre ways we let points slip, but I am just happy it has come together enough for us to be more or less safe this early, for Blooms to have earned a crack at another season at the helm, and for us to have what looks to be a much more settled and quality squad to attack 24/25 with, with the likes of Low, Butcher, Sadlier, Leahy, KVY, Kone and Lubala all Blooms signings who will be fully integrated by then.

Oh, and we are off to Wembley too!

• Another three points and we never looked like we would concede. Slightly concerned Taf got taken off as it wasn’t for resting as we have two weeks off.

Two amazing finishes from Butcher, both looked superb up in the Frank Adams in Block Q.

Not sure if it has been mentioned but some of the challenges yesterday by Northampton were worthy of red cards, the worst being the rugby tackle by the shoulders on Potts???

Hopefully we can kick on and finish with around 65 points and sneak in to the Top 10.

• Agreed that that Potts tackle was bad, but I would say that the ref was letting a lot of blatant fouls go on both sides, it wasn’t just NTFC at it.

• My only negativity of the day is missing the first goal. Many around me in the family stand were watching the bloke in the stand catch the ball as it was kicked out, only to hear cheers. However I did see them put up Jack Grimmer on the scoreboard (and I’m told Kian Breckin was on there very quickly before). A good lesson to never take your eyes off the game.

• A mate, who is a Cobblers fan and was in away end, said at half time he thought both teams were already on the beach. A fair summation at that point.

• On a different note, I really hope we go after Bryn Morris in the summer as a replacement for Potts. Seems to have put his injury problems behind him and is having a great season at Newport, cracking goal yesterday as well.

• edited March 17

@Vincey on the Gasroom one can only name any player who has ever represented the club since we moved to Adams Park as a potential re-signing during the late Summer window. Dem’s di rules.

• I alaways thought that was a great candidate for a Wanderers song anyway. "I met my love by the Gasworks End; I dreamed a dream, by the hospit-al" and all that.

• For those who watched yesterday, how did Kodua get on?

• Works for me. Although sadly I doubt it would resonate much with the Yoof as they probably don't even know what or where Loakes Park even was.

• edited March 17

@Gary All right, I'd say. He struggled to get into open space, but on the two occasions he did, he was cycnically fouled and got bookings for both his assailants. He also worked hard up and down the line doing his job defensively. Looks to me like he knows his job, spots and makes runs in behind where he can and has real promise. I'd be really interested in getting him back for a full season next year - if we don't go out and buy Luka Parkadze and Maksim Samorodov, that is.

• Yes I thought he did ok as well. You can see he has been working on the defensive elements of the game and when he breaks forward he has pace to burn.

I suspect he will get a lot more chances during the busy April period.

• Clearly the relationship with West Ham is excellent, so if we want him for next season, I’d have thought it would be beneficial to all parties.

• Glad to hear and hoping he may get some more opportunities in the near future. Campbell hasn’t impressed in either loan spell so Gideon deserves his chance ahead of him.

• Add to that list Grimmer, Taffs, Forino, McCarthy, Scowen, and McCleary, plus some decent loanees, and we have the makings of a squad capable of challenging at the top end of the league next season.

That's without factoring in possible funds from whatever source (ML?) to sign a couple of Championship quality players.

• If we suddenly have 25 million quid for some grass then we should be able to get anybody who wants a payday.

Googling 'The most mercenary footballer' means that Romelu Lukaku should be here next season.

• A few more wins and a 10th or so placed finish and we can definitely be optimistic about next season if we get a couple of big signings.