Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Reading

123457»

Comments

• Very sad to read that. I think I read that there was a moronic element at the Valley (against Charlton). I hope these are relatively infrequent incidents. Our fans have built up a reputation over decades for being well behaved with just the odd bad egg blemishing that reputation.

• Pretty sure it came from the home end. I thought I could see something out of the corner of my eye thrown from their side. A few seconds later there was a small explosion. Hopefully cameras can identify the culprit and they're prosecuted.

• The law can be really brutal about pyrotechnics in football stadiums. It seems this is creeping into football more and more and the other day I saw a couple of high profile X accounts lauding those wonder salt of the earth scousers for the lovely display of flares they were holding up making for a visual treat. Ban them, ban the little sh1ts bringing them into games. It is only a matter of time until someone gets really hurt.

• edited March 11

I agree with @TheAndyGrahamFanClub , there seems to be a demographic of people in society who see Football matches as an opportunity to be overly aggressive and/or overstep that line. What do these people gain from bringing in small explosives / flares / smoke bombs into a football stadium? We have stewards who are meant to search people on entrance. How do they miss something like these on a person and/or bag? It almost makes me fearful of bringing my sons to matches in the future. They are currently 4 & 2 - so they are still a bit too young but the thoughts will be there when they are older.

What would have happened if that things had exploded sooner? Would it have impacted the match by getting it suspended? Would anyone have suffered from life-changing injuries.

• No expert, but i'd imagine flares and the likes are pretty small, and can be stashed in areas, stewards won't search.

• Then do we need to go through something like airport security?

• I normally take a battery pack for my phone to football in a coat pocket. 15 X 7 X 2.5cm's. Never been picked up by the stewards. Probably a lot bigger than a firework / flare.

• I know that's how I'd get them in - I definitely didn't smuggle a small bottle of JD into Reading festival that way.

• MK away had salivating dogs just gagging to get at goon fans.

You saw a few nervous fans there.

• They've now released blocks 133 & 132. Really annoying as that suggest sales will slowly work round the blocks sequentially, so if you want a ticket on the side you have to wait. And they may never get released at all.

I suspect all of this mucking about will really suppress the attendance. A lot of casual supporters want to be able to plan ahead. If they don't know until a couple of weeks before if they can get a ticket in the desired area/price many will just make other plans for that weekend.

• Sales have picked up in blocks 138-140, seems there aren't so many left there now either. Let's hope they do I deed open up more blocks in the south side!

• Yes Rochdale town centre is appalling no-one goes there if they can help it- but despite its bad reputation outside the town centre places like Norden, Bamford and most other parts are very nice. Plus you have beautiful countryside surrounding it on 3 sides.