Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Reading

Comments

• It was a nailed on penalty. He didn’t exaggerate, he was taken out due to his quick feet. The defender knew it, as clear cut as they come.

• edited March 9

What a horrible town Reading is to me only Luton rivals it in depressing soulless no redeeming characteristics football league/premier football hosting towns I wouldnt want to live in. I'm just grateful for Watford in that it isnt also our nearest club.

Now after that rant nice result big step towards safety. Hopefully won't have to return to the shit hole next season.

• The biscuitmen?! - Bollocks Stockport has a far better biscuit factory - Reading can't even win that

• What a win though. GET IN!!!!!

• I had to listen to the game on BBC Berkshire. Commentators fairly decent but not on Phil’s level. They did spend the second half whining about Fran and the way they pronounced his name was rather odd…

That said, they echo the views of the home fans that it was the correct decision for the penalty. They bemoaned our game management - “I bet he will wait until the physio is with him and then jump straight back up”. At one point, every time we had a man down the main commentator asked the other guy if he thought our man would be able to continue.

There’s a pattern this season that we don’t take our first half chances and normally get punished. I think we all expected today to be the same. Thankfully, it wasn’t. Imagine where we would be if we put away just half of our chances this season. 3-0 at half time today and nobody bats an eyelid, based on our chances.

• Out of contact since 2pm, so nice to switch the phone on and see the win. Equally fun to speed through this thread and see everyone doing their greatest hits at 1-1.

• It was very unsportsmanlike for Reading to play on from the throw after the injury. Whether they felt it was timewasting or not, it was a bad look, and some of their own fans have been saying it was karma at the end.

• Well done lads

• An amazing day out and a great turn out from the Chairboys and girls.

Well done everyone!

• What festival were you at? Was it the IWD one with Desperate Journalist and Miki from Lush?

• Great win today the first half we were excellent ,second half we dug in I’m no fan of Campbell but he did well to win the penalty all in all a good day . My cousin supports Reading so it’s nice to have the family bragging rights

• I was the same and didn’t know the score when I started working through this thread. But assuming that someone’s post of “shit” early second half meant that Reading had equalised I assumed at first that the penalty brought it up to 2-2. More than happy when it quickly established it had won us the game.

• Even from watching on TV, the Wycombe fans sounded very loud. Great job all!

That was such a cathartic win, given how unlikely it seemed at 1-1.

• Can't understand why they stuffed most people up in the corner rather than just giving us two blocks to the left of the goal. Shades of Franchise in the play offs.

Like others, I thought we were good first half but struggled to get a grip second. Neither side created lots of chances and 1-1 felt about right. But then they made the idiotic error that decided the game. It was one of the clearest penalties you could ever witness.

Overall, another good performance. We've actually racked up quite a few of those since Christmas in my view.

Great to see MB enjoying the result so much at the end.

• Hard to digest for Reading supporters, but they can take some crumbs of comfort from the second half display.

• If Longwijk is available on loan next season I'd love to see him back. Looks like a really good player to me. Sadly, I suspect they'll want him playing in the Championship.

• First few games not impressed but starting to see some grit to add to his technical ability. Which is what loans are for.

• Great result today. Played well in first half. Hell of goal from Longwijk. Real opportunity in the next three games, Wigan, Northampton and Cambridge to secure our position in League 1.

• Utter nonsense. If you just went to the Three Guineas at the station before the game then you haven't seen the town.

• 25 years of hurt ever since Dave Carroll's worst moment in a Wycombe shirt, apositely dispelled by a wondrous penalty. A nervy second half but we showed great character to see that one out at the end.

Only a 1999 York City/Devon Loch style collapse can see us fall into the relegation dogfight now.

• It couldn't be more of a penalty if the defender had picked up the ball and placed it on the spot himself, yet some WUMs still decide to take the gloss of it by calling it "soft". He outskilled him and had his feet taken. In the box. End of.

Did we deserve it? On balance, I would have called it a draw, one half each. But did we deserve some of the late drama of earlier in the season? Not all of it, by a long way. So maybe the season (what with the Bradford victory 'n' all) is starting to balance up a bit.

• Looks like the new signings have given us that bit of a boost we needed. I think the signing of Butcher was a masterstroke. Someone that goes so quietly but efficiently about his work. He is the one that we missed in the middle of the park. He doesn't get the praise he deserves,

Still got Saxon Earley to come in, Max, Forino and Low missing today, so if we can keep everyone fit, we could finish strongly.

Well done to Lubala. It's always baffled me that Vokes doesn't take pens. As a striker, who's sole responsibility is to stick the ball in the net, surely you would back yourself from 12 yards every time.

• It's still too Earley for Saxon. Looking forward to seeing him play when he's injury free.

• edited March 9

listened to BBC Berkshire on the way home. Remarkably strong signal all the way to Cressex roundabout, easily as strong as 3CR.

Really good post-match coverage as they only had one game to talk about. So we had an ex-Reading manager on talking about how to beat Wycombe; we had a journalist doing live ‘vox pop’ interviews from a bar at the ground post-match (including two Wycombe fans who were the first ones on); and loads of texts, tweets and calls from Reading fans. “We have so many texts and tweets we will struggle to get them all on air”, said the host at one stage. Plus the interview with their manager etc.

Really good coverage, excellent fan engagement and way better than 3CR’s 505…some great ideas for the 3CR team to pick up on?

• It was looking like another one of those days where our failure to put the ball in the net when massively on top would hurt us. We had to scrap for everything second half and deserved it. I don’t know when we are going to get those elusive goals, but we are not far off.

Lubala was outstanding for me. An energetic AND effective performance in attack and defence. It’s a horrid role the lone striker and can leave a player frustrated but he never stopped. And earned his rewards. Even when he was wide left once he adjusted he was really effective.