Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Barnsley

Comments

• I am not 100% sure but didn't Drysdale also send off Chris Forinho in dubious circumstances against Ipswich a couple of seasons ago?

• edited March 3

Ainsworth once said Howard taught him to take the emotion out of things, and you could see that in his post match interviews.

You could probably only count on the fingers of one hand the amount of times he ever suggested a ref had made a mistake or we'd been hard done by and even then he said it in a dignified way.

Bloomfield has a lot to learn in all ways, but to be honest, sometimes I want my manager to make it clear something went against us.

Klopp is probably the absolute master of it at the moment, you hear him mention another team getting too many pens, or this or that going against them, then funnily enough they get the rub of the green soon after - see that Forest drop ball decision just last game.

• @Malone I do agree with this. I do like Bloomfield, but that's an area I'm keen for him to improve on. He does have a tendency to blame referees. We have of course had decisions go against us at times, but there's also plenty that's gone in our favour. I don't feel we've been particularly hard done by over the course of the season. Probably the Championship season was the only time where things never seemed to even themselves out.

Ainsworth had a nice way of mentioning a bad decision, but never labouring on the point, or blaming a bad result on a referee.

• It’s always the losers who complain about refereeing decisions.

• Always

And ones that go in your favour are always just laughed off

• Wait till you hear the Tykes oppo view, they weren’t happy with the ref either.

• You obviously haven’t been following Steve Evans and his after match comments!

• Personally I do not think he is competent to referee football.

• We’ve been saying that for years but presumably there is no consensus among clubs about his perceived incompetence or he would no longer be refereeing at the level he is. Or does it not work like that?

@Chickenhead suggests that Darren Drysdale should not be allowed to referee another Wycombe game. Assuming that the football club is in no position to reject the appointment of particular match officials, I’m not sure how this can be brought about.

Let’s hope that’s the last we’ll see of him this season and that he takes early (?) retirement during the summer.

• I assume that he was spoken to by his professional body after the first Barnsley game which was an acknowledged f up. I assume his professional body would have been interested in his comments that players over a certain size were not eligible for fouls. If these little chats are a regular thing then surely his professional body will act.

• In 2021 Drysdale was charged with improper conduct by the FA after ‘confronting’ a player (he moved his head towards the player in an aggressive manner) during a game he was refereeing at Ipswich. He admitted the charge and received a one match suspension. Did the punishment fit the ‘crime’ ? I will leave others to judge that.

• Players are continually doing this to refs, so in one way it's good to see them get a bit of their own back.

It's like those fans who rant at players all game then lose their biscuit when the player scores and does a little wave to them.

However, this Drysdale guy has a bit of a body of work against us now. If he's like this against other teams it's a wonder he's staying in the reffing game. He might be a Fraser Stretton who seemed to have a particular disdain for us though.

• edited March 4

Surely like dodgy offside decisions, moaning about the ref, is all part of the fun and danger of football. Thus VAR has made no bloody difference.

I'm more concerned about a ref saying Vokes can look after himself to avoid giving a foul than Saturday's ref to be honest. Both teams made that a tricky fixture to manage.

• One ref i would welcome back to Adams Park with open arms is the substitute official from the Oxford game.

• edited March 4

As a consequence of covering Stevenage I have to endure Steve Evans drivel before and after each match. He clearly has no self awareness whatsoever otherwise he would stop his incessant whining about match officials. It’s like a toddler having a tantrum.

Sadly he is far from alone, whether it’s his fellow managers or supporters, who feel entitled to attack and abuse match officials. As we saw at the City Ground this weekend, we’re increasingly close to a match official being physically attacked.

• Refs like players should be substituted if they're not performing up to standard. Would be a great watch to see the electronic board go up with the word "REF" and watch them trot off the pitch head down to cheers from the crowd. This could have legs!

• I think our game away at Stevenage was the only game where Steve Evans did not complain about the referee.

• Saw @glasshalfempty's post late. A reminder of the need to refresh the page! So I thought i'd add, in the context of his post that it is sad to see how much hatred there is and how personal people can get with their abuse. Big difference between 'pantomime' style banter when refs aren't performing and unacceptable verbal abuse or worse for any reason.

• edited March 4

Steve Evans has a bizarre 'passive aggressive' style in his post-match interviews with 3CR's "Deano". Last week he referred to the ref by his first name, and said he liked him as an official, then listed all the decisions that went against his team, and then concluded by saying: "as i said, I like the guy..."

• He also likes good honest opposition players who come up and tell him he's right and their team should not have been given the decision. He said Taffs told him Max should have been sent off while they were attending to Luke Leahy's 'head knock' apparently.

• what irritates me about all that Evans referee-bashing on 3CR is the fact that the journalists never push back. Particularly when he gets onto his tinfoil-hat "they don't want Stevenage in the Championship" agenda.

• Everything about Evans is pantomime. Consume it like that and it’s just a tired joke, don’t let the tw@t get to you folks.

Re Refs, I would like to see them interviewed post match in a formal setting. “Having now had time to study the footage of ………. what is your professional opinion “ . If nothing else watching them squirm whilst defending the indefensible would be entertaining.

• They love it on 3CR...it's good copy. They have a good laugh about what he's likely to say and rush his interviews into the show.

To be fair, it's good for a club like Stevenage battling with the big boys for air space...once they've done Lu'on and Watford, Stevenage have overtaken MK for post match coverage...we are usually just above Bishop Stortford. 😊

• It’s the “tin-foil” hat stuff that’s completely ridiculous. There isn’t a single match official that has it in for your club. The amount of supporters that subscribe to this bullshit is really embarrassing. They’re the same people who believe 5G masts spread Covid.

• Strange you should say that. At the end of the game I said to one of the Stevenage directors: ‘I don’t suppose Evans will be complaining about the referee today’ when one of his colleagues started pointing his finger at me and shouting that I shouldn’t be saying things like that. I politely pointed out the irony of a club that employs a manager and assistant who spend the entire game berating the officials lecturing me about appropriate behaviour.

• Mentioned him earlier. A woeful guy.

Was he both that Peterborough abandonment and letting Sean Gregan almost snap Baird in half? Two horrific bits of reffing.

• Nothing will beat the constant incompetence of Andy d’Urso, he seemed to have a massive thing about Wycombe.

• Who remembers Royston Osbourne?