Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Barnsley

Comments

• If only he’d kicked himself on the pitch. Ah well, it wasn’t to be. I thought we had a decent game against a side who will be in the playoffs and had we remained an 11 who knows.

Next Saturday is a much more important game and I’m reasonably confident we can get something there.

• Thought we played really well for 60 mins and even when it went to 3 -2 I thought we were still in it ,but wheeler went and did that and the game was gone.

Don't think much of the goalie his kicking is alright but he doesn't command the area at all a poor man's allsop I think.

Barnsley are a good team but we have given them the points with utter stupidity in both games

• Dunno if it’s already been mentioned, but Wheels seemed to get an elbow in the face. Of course you can’t then do that in retaliation, but it’s absolutely understandable.

• edited March 2

Bloomfield confirmed this in a BFP article.

And explains it completely. For such a placid player it was massively out of character.

• I am not saying it cost us the game but that was a typical example of a referee upsetting the away team in the first half, getting an ear bashing from their coaching staff at HT then overcompensating by giving far too much in their favour in the second half. We lost because of poor defending, a stupid red card and a weak referee.

• Hear hear. The annoying thing is, in a lot of ways we were just as good as they were. Eleven v eleven and that would have been even more entertaining.

• Yes he clearly did. Had he gone down holding it a card may have gone the other way.

• In my world Wheeler gets ‘an elbow’ to the head, their player then gets ‘kicked’. Both players should be told they are idiots and move on.

Only one feigned injury. So net result Wheeler should feign injury instead of ‘kicking’ out. Lesson learned and football suffers.

Gifted Barnsley 4 points this season due to incredible acts of stupidness by senior players.

• edited March 2

The one thing about xG - their's was 0.8. They had an open goal with a header, and a tap in. Surely there's 2 expected goals right there?

• No idea. All I know is I start a game with the same xG as Ronaldo if both facing the same keeper.

• Strange game yesterday. All the goals seemed to appear from nowhere, if that's possible. I thought we were a match against a decent side until a surreal 10 mins when we basically handed them the initiative. Wheeler deserved his sending off - he did get an elbow in the face, but the guy didn't deliberately elbow him. After the fourth, their no. 8 controlled the game and we fizzled out. On my walk home I had good chat with an opposition fan who said he has yet to see Barnsley completely dominate a match this season. That comment reinforced my view that all the teams in this division have some quality in them and picking up any points is well earned. Or we're all awful. Onwards and upwards as they say.

• There's a decent article in the Football League Paper today on Joe Low. Mr Ainsworth also has a two page spread. The match report in there gave us a five star entertainment rating . It was enjoyable but hardly a classic.

• edited March 3

The view I had of the Wheeler incident from the Valley End was that their player saw he had no chance of getting the ball so decided to throw his body weight into Wheeler. Any contact with Wheeler's face by his elbow would have been deliberate, which is entirely in keeping with Barnsley's penchant for getting away with sly but serious foul play judging by our encounters with them over the last few years.

All of which is a shame because that was otherwise a very entertaining game between two teams looking to get on the front foot. There were plenty of positives for us to take with us into the coming games, if we play like that against Reading I would fancy us to break our 0% record at the Sir John Auto Trader Arena (or whatever it's called now).

• Correct decision for the Wheeler red, but the referee was dreadful in the second half yesterday. Very one sided, bought by every diving Barnsley player. O'Keefe raising his fists to the Family Stand at full time says a lot about his character I'd imagine.

• I was quite close and this is how I saw it. Clear red card for Wheeler’s retaliation but I can’t believe O’Keefe didn’t get a yellow at the very least.

• However, just as bad for me than a player who had just come on getting immediately sent off was a player who had just come on (Kone) failing to sprint for a winnable ball which directly led to the third goal.

• The fact that Max gets a red card and a 3 match ban for the incident at Stevenage while O’Keefe gets away with not even a telling off yesterday says a lot about the standard of refereeing and the competence of the disciplinary system.

• Am I right in thinking we had a few issues with Mr O’Keefe at the New Lawn a season or two back when he played for FGR??

• And the very same day your other team benefitted from a refereeing error at the City Ground.

Referees are not corrupt, they are just human and they sometimes make mistakes. Sometimes we benefit sometimes we don't

• I did not and never have said that referees are corrupt.

• I don’t think it was O’Keeffe unless he was playing right back at the time. He was only there last season, I think.

• David Wheeler’s treatment shouldn’t be too costly.

• I think it was Dominic Bernard who got involved in a scuffle. Interesting to see that Harry Boyes was playing for FGR.

https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/match/2022-2023/league-one/forest-green-rovers/wycombe-wanderers/410329

• There’s a world of difference between corrupt and incompetent. We are usually unaware of incidents of corruption but the evidence for incompetence occasionally stares us in the face.

• I could have said too often stares us in the face.

• I try not to comment on a defeat until the day after, as I'm usually too disappointed to pretend to be objective. There was lots to like about yesterday - a good plan to press high up the pitch at the start of the game executed well, a wonderfully improvised assist from McCleary, and the sense (not for the first time this season) that we weren't miles away from a side in the top six. Though I do think that last one is mitigated by the sense that the divisin is much poorer standard overall than recent years.

And yet, all that said, there's still something missing with this team. I've been trying to put my finger on it, and it's a combination of not quite being battle-hardened enough, not quite clinical enough, not quite resilient enough. We led twice in the game yesterday, and at no point was I confident we'd win the game. Barnsley were behind twice and led once, and it didn't ever seem to them that they thought they couldn't come back or hold on to the lead. We're missing characters like Darius Charles, Bayo, even perhaps the likes of Alex Samuel. I think we've got a decent squad, playing in the right shape, but without the mental and emotional resilience you need at this level.

I was never in the Bloomfield out camp, but this is my biggest concern about his management. His post-match comments yesterday, as at other times since he's been in charge, came across as a little bit petulant and whiny. I always felt better about listening to GA post match, win or lose, because he seemed to radiate confidence and belief in his players. It feels to me like the one area we're just a bit lacking at the moment.

• On the matter of corruption or making an error. Darren Drysdale allowed a player shove Max over and allowed a goal away to Barnsley. Yes Max was stupid but the laws of the game state that you can't shove a goalkeeper over and score a goal.

Then at Stevenage he doesn't even book the cheat who got Max sent off despite him elbowing Joe Low in the face and the linesman telling him so. He then sends Max off for violent play when it's obvious Max has turned his back on the cheat who purposely runs into him. He has obviously got something against Wycombe and shouldn't be allowed to referee another Wycombe game in the future.