Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Brighton (EFL Trophy)

123457»

Comments

• edited February 1

Well that was the best value £6 I’ve enjoyed for a long time. The 600 odd who could be bothered were served up a treat.

Loved the way we got into their kids, won almost every 50:50, bullied them but then played some nice stuff in between. Kone, yes everything we hoped, Sadler sharp, Wheels won every header, Dale looked on it, JMac fresh and ready for the league.

Let’s take that performance into Saturday.

• I was one of the 600+ who bothered, and very glad I did. The team selection and tactics were excellent, and every player contributed to an outstanding performance.

I did wonder how Leahy's long range free kick managed to evade everyone and end up in the net, but I see it's now been given as an OG, so must have deflected off a defender.

The Brighton lads were, I thought, not as good as the West Ham U21s, and I can't imagine we'll be asking to sign any of them on loan.

• edited February 1

Six goals in a match and a half is mental (as my mate @Malone would say). And we could easily have had eight or nine with the missed penalty on Saturday and the two shots hitting the goal frame last night. Ok, the opposition on both occasions has been less than impressive but maybe, just maybe, this is the turning point we’d pretty well written off.

Still fear Liam Sercombe though. At least he won’t have Alfie May alongside him.

• I think this is going to be the whole Breckin / Philips situation again. We have prob made promises to these clubs that we'll play their young ones but they arrive and don't match the potential we were sold. Then we get hit with the "Treated him badly" or "Never gave him a chance" labels which could then harm our chances in the future

• It is very hard to tell from the replays what the youngster did in the red card 'challenge', can someone shed more light? Looked like a retaliation and players reacted angrily.

• edited February 1

The kid thought Potts fouled him, so he ran aggressively towards him. Potts' reaction indicated there was a level of contact, but the whole retaliation thing is something that a hot-headed under 21 will learn he can't do.

• Yeah, hard to tell if it was an arm (doesn't look like it) or studs up (more likely). Given that Potts was already going to ground it is hard to see. Must have been contact as you can't get sent off for running towards someone.

• edited February 1

I’ve watched it four or five times and I’m yet to see what their player was guilty of, other than arguable dissent. Potts’ portion of the 50/50 challenge was debatably more dangerous. Felt like a yellow for dissent at absolute most. Quite poor refereeing, I thought.

• You can get a red card for dissent if you say something very rude.

• Looked like a foul by Potts in the first place, but the lad then ran aggressively into him, but not clear what he did. Possible he stamped on Potts, as he went to ground, certainly Potts seemed furious about it.

• Looked fairly clear that matey must have stamped or at least left unnecessary contact on him.

To say Potts did something worse is bizarre.

• Much as most of us are longing to see Kone start I think it’s most likely we will see him, Kodua and Campbell coming off the bench. I would imagine Blooms will start with the experienced before throwing on the young.

Midfield is the area that really interests me. If Scowen is still injured then I would think it will be Potts and Butcher. Which leaves Leahy at LB. Going on to next season we will have 3 excellent options in Scowen, Butcher and Leahy with Wheeler as back up. Not forgetting Ward and Clarke.

• I'd start Kone. I think he's exactly the kind of wildcard we could use in a relegation scrap.

• I thought Samuels at left back was one of their best players but certainly not ready for League One football.

Kane Vincent-Young, at left back, took me completely by surprise, certainly when going forward (which he did a lot), with his pace and skill. I hope he’ll play in that position on Saturday. If he does well against what will obviously be much tougher opposition, he could be the answer to the vexed question of who will play there. It was great to see Luke Leahy enjoying himself in midfield.

There’s no way Chem Campbell can start ahead of Kieran Sadlier on Saturday, is there ?

Anyone seen the picture of Sadlier on Wikipedia? Í honestly thought it was Freddie Potts.

• Absolutely with you on that one. He also adds pace to the front line.

• Looks like a mash-up of several current England cricketers

• It's definitely not ideal, but I would rather stay up in League One and annoy Wolves, than go down whilst still receiving birthday cards from them.

I know we don't want to willingly burn bridges, but there are also clubs who are probably happy with us. West Ham (though Kodua needs some minutes soon) for starters.

• Richard K looked so much sharper than Sam V last night. I know the game was done by the time of the substitution but dear old Sam looked like he was carrying half a hundredweight of spuds on his back as he lumbered around ‘closing down’ their defence.

Start RK on Saturday.

• Careful now, they'll be after you.

• Dear old Eric is probably about to make my life ‘sweet’.

• Surely you're not going to say you're not allowed to criticise Vokes on here doc? 😉

• edited February 1

The Brighton lad thought he was fouled by Potts and as it wasn’t given he ran at Potts and kicked him…straight red for that.

Agree you could get a red for Foul and Abusive Language - offensive, insulting, abusive or (OFINABUS) as were taught at referee school. Most likely a red when it’s aimed at the ref tbh. And don’t ever call the ref a ‘cheat’.