Skip to content

Richard Kone signs

Comments

• Did I read he’s been with us since the summer? Excellent strategy if so, integrating into the squad and full time football.

This is a Hollywood story right here. Let’s just hope he can bang some goals in.

• Yeah, that girl interested me as well as I didn't think he had any family here with him. I think his references to being gay all come from a few years ago when he was 17. Sexuality can be particularly fluid at that age so perhaps we shouldn't assume (I'm as guilty as anyone else) how he currently identifies until he talks about it himself, if indeed he does.

• Best of luck to the lad, you'd like to think if there was one club who'd give him the supportive environment he needs it'd be us.

• edited January 1

I'm delighted with the signing. As well as Anis, Dwight Gayle scored a hatful in that league for Stansted and did pretty well for himself in the league. It's a fairytale waiting to happen.

• I went to our pre-season game at Aldershot where Kone came off the bench and scored within a minute. I said to my friend that he looks like Uche Mark 2, tall and leggy, difficult to knock off the ball and extremely awkward to play against. Plenty of rough edges which you would expect from a young guy who has been playing at a much lower level than League One, but if we’re patient with him we could have a real gem.

• Apologies as I hadn’t seen your message before I posted but pleased to see that we’re in agreement if you substitute Uche for Zebroski!

• Yes I’d go with that too, certainly the very awkward to play against point - which he really was at Wealdstone.

I’ll settle for plays a bit like Uche, but looks and runs a bit like Zebroski.

• Should play him in the BSM cup next week. A chance for him to step up to a higher level in front of the same sort of crowd he was getting at Newham.

• Those who are not already aware of the story behind that World Cup and in particular one of the greatest heros that these isles have produced recently might want to check out this heartwarming story of epic altruism: https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/michael-sheen-port-talbot-homeless-22370362

• I saw a young Michael Sheen on stage in the 1990's and thought 'Bloody hell, this guy is going all the way'.

Hopefully I'll be saying the same about Kone next week.

• Thanks for sharing. As you say, heartwarming. A good start to the year to read.

• edited January 2

Great potential in this signing. Hopefully he can make the set up. JJ mentioned in commentary he’s been training with us for while and in training yesterday morning score 10 goals from nine shots. Impressive.m

Has the guy from Amersham been a bit of a smoke screen? People have said he was the trialist striker in recent games but has anyone laid eyes on who was playing? Could it have been Kone or could we sign two very promising strikers?

also, those asking who the little girl is in the picture are a bit weird.About as relevant as asking who the person is sat four seats up in the family stand and makes you sound a little bit creepy. Go around asking who little girls are much?

• Hope he turns out to be as successful as the last lad we got from that level ! (Anis)

Not sure what his sexualality is, doesn't really matter these days, well it shouldn't anyway ! But Blooms did mention at the end of his interview yesterday that Kone has a young family he wants to look after, so maybe there's a few clues there.

• edited January 2

Gay people can have kids too, of course. Elton John has children even!!! It’s also irrelevant and an example of the sort of questioning and speculation gay people have to put up with.

”but if he’s gay, how can he have children”

jesus Christ. Wouldn’t even be mentioned for any straight player. Give your heads a wobble.

• edited January 2

Does anyone question who any of the kids are when players bring into a pitch with players that are straight? Some probably assume it’s family - but they don’t go around saying “who’s the little girl/boy”. It IS a bit creepy if that’s one of your first questions.

Its not an over reaction, it’s holding a mirror up to attitudes around suspected gay players and the way they have been treated in comparison to there straight counterparts.

People are (rightly) celebrating the club signing someone who maybe openly gay but then in the same thread showing why there aren’t many openly gay footballers. They are treated differently from day one.

don’t like me calling it out? Tough.

• edited January 2

I feel a bit awkward for wondering who that kid was Leahy raised on his shoulder after putting us 3-0 up now..

(I did realise soon after it was just a ball boy, not plucking his own son out of the crowd for what would have been a beautiful moment)

• Couldn’t we sign the Amersham player as well. Both seem perfect for our development squad.

• edited January 2

Why didn’t you ask immediately when you saw it, would be my question. (It’s because it doesn’t really matter. He was sharing a moment. As was Kone)

• I just edited the above a little, but no i did say at the time to to my matchday mate is that his son. Would have made it an even nicer moment than even going 3-0 up was already.

• What an exciting signing!

Well done to the club for supporting Richard in getting through the minefield of paperwork in relation to playing in the EFL and bringing him in to train with the boys. I would expect nothing less from MB and the club.

The goal he scored at Aldershot in July came from nothing and he has clearly made a name for himself at Level 9 with his current club, let's hope he can make the step up.

Welcome to the club Richard

• As I said in my previous comment : some would assume it’s family.

however, as my edited comment also says, it doesn’t really matter. He was sharing a moment with someone. Could be his child/family meme we/complete random stranger/competition winner/even your kid. As long as there’s a bit of consent to grab said child - it doesn’t matter.

• “As long as there’s a bit of consent to grab said child - it doesn’t matter.”

Strong contender for creepiest sentence ever posted on the gasroom. And when I say strong contender, I mean I can’t think of anything even close.

• He's a young guy with an unusual story, living in a foreign country. I don't think it's so terrible for people to take a passing interest in whether he has family here supporting him or is on his own.

At the very worst it was a slightly clumsy query about his sexuality. That doesn't merit such a harsh response, or describing someone as 'creepy'.

• edited January 2

Context matters. It was to say “don’t go around grabbing random kids unless you know who they are.” Unless you think that approach is creepy

• edited January 2

That wasn’t the creepy bit.

the creepy bit was “who’s the little girl”.

you walk into any room and ask that question as one of your first questions - in almost any context you would like to propose , to the first people you see, and people are going to wonder if they want to hang around with you.

• edited January 2

Really pleased for him and us.

• Worst thread in history this