Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Wimbledon (EFL Trophy)

13»

Comments

• Outside of an easy MoM performance from Sads, I thought Pattenden, Woodhouse and Ravizoli were all excellent. Boyes very good too.

• Decent enough showing from the boys. Great to see Jacobson and Grimmer back in action who both had solid games with one spectacular moment from Jack.

The penalty was very harsh on Wheeler who seemed to just jump at the wrong time with the ball hitting his arm. Great save from Ravizzoli who looked confident all game.

Thought Taffazoli also played very well in the middle of the back 3 with some tremendous distribution.

Lacked somewhat in midfield when it seemed to me we needed someone in there who could get on the ball and play forward through the lines. Looking forward to the next round!

• I was very impressed by Ravizzoli - good command of the box, impressive distribution, good penalty save. You can see why MK Dons played him so much last season. Much like during the Rocky vs Stockdale debate three years ago, I think we might be playing the wrong keeper....

Really liked Woodhouse. Taylor-Clark seemed fine. Breckin looked like he could play a neat, clever ball and got the ball into the box for Sadlier's goal but I expected a bit more drive from him if he wanted to stake a claim to a spot in the team. Still, if Potts is out, it might well be worth playing him alongside Scowen next weekend to see what he can do.

Sadlier has to start - as long as he's not also injured - it appeared he might be at the end. Lyle Taylor looks a few weeks away from a first team start yet - but will be a fine sub until fully fit.

• With Russell Martin watching, should we not be worried about any of our other players he could have been scouting?

Could he be looking to take over Boyes loan deal? While I hope he's only looking at Breckin, I'm worried that he's got another player in his sights

• leaping onto the bandwagon, roughly when is the next match likely to be? I can’t seem to find any dates on the EFL site or elsewhere, but that’s likely just fuckwittery by me.

• ignore that. 90min.com gives me:

round of 32 w/c 4th December

round of 16 w/c 8th January

quarters w/c 29th January

semis w/c 19th Feb

final 7th April

• Good to see some of the squad players get a run out and thought Woodhouse, Boyes and Pattenden played well. JJ and Jack looked solid and will be good to have them back as we head into this part of the season. Lyle Taylor expectedly looked a little rusty, but hopefully will pick up speed after training with us for a few weeks. Taylor Clark looks like a good prospect too, definitely one for the future.

Was disappointed with Breckin’s performance but that being said I don’t think a shield/CDM role really suits him. Think it’s a shame that he hasn’t hit the ground running as the other loanees and might be better to move him back to potentially consider other options in the January window.

Overall a solid performance and good to see the squad players getting some opportunities to show what they’ve got.

• edited November 2023

I was sitting behind the middle dugout where the fourth official sits, and observed what he was doing.

He had a stopwatch and a clipboard, and whenever there was a stoppage, he would start the watch, then stop it when play resumed. Then he would write down the times on his clipboard, add them up, and that would be the added time for each half, in this case 3 minutes and then 7 minutes.

All of this is hardly taking advantage of modern technology, and is not very far advanced from using a sundial and an abacus.

Surely it would be easily possible for the referee to signal to stop the main game clock on the big screen, and then signal to restart it, so that when it hits 45 or 90, everyone knows that is the end of the half, or of the game. This procedure works very well in virtually every other team sport, so it's unfathomable why football, lags behind the times.

• Why the need to change it? The mystery time at the end of a match used to be exciting. I don’t understand the desire to make it more like Rugby.

• As long as it all gets added on I couldn’t give a toss whether the clock gets stopped or someone adds it up.

I do like the fact the scoreboard goes past 45/90 mins instead of stopping (except for today when it was 90 secs behind the actual time in the second half)

• There are still thirty-two teams left in this thing?

• It's like waiting for paint to dry...pizza to come out of the oven....a car to arrive out of the garage...a windscreen to be replaced...

• They could have made it all a lot more painless by simply making round 1 a straight 32 ties, winner goes through.

Although that would stop the U21 teams getting such amazing development of course, missing out a couple of games.

• But it's not just Rugby, they use the 'real time' clock system in basketball, ice hockey, and NFL amongst others.

It's also been trialled in the Dutch football league, and the IFAB have been considering proposals to implement it. So hardly a revolutionary suggestion.

• Made me laugh. I had to look up the previous sponsors. Paint pot wins.

• Wasn't the League Cup literally sponsored by just 'milk'?

• Encouraging stuff from both Taylor Clark and Luca Woodhouse today. Worth remembering how young they both are - Clark’s just 18 and Woodhouse 19.

Woodhouse played left centre back today but played as a left wing back on loan at Slough last season. Quite handy to have a leftie than can play both positions. Not sure what position he’s playing for Worthing currently.

No Declan Skura today unfortunately but he was excellent in the first two group matches. And there’s more to come from Christie Ward too

Great to have some talented youngsters pushing through. Hopefully they’ll get a couple more games in this competition this year at least.

• Tunnock's Caramel Wafer Challenge Cup, in 2019-20, is one of my favourite names. I do like the blue ones.

• I so wanted Breckin to come out and smash a game and give Matt a real headache for selection. Seems that moment wasn’t today.

• Those milk lobbyists were so corrupt.

• Interesting picture of the dressing room.

What was the potential plan for Stryjek I wonder?