Skip to content

Breckin off to the Championship

Comments

• edited November 2023

Maybe but It's the hardening up and experience of other styles they send them out for.

Ultimately the loan has both given him valuable experience and probably knocked his confidence a little, if they think he's better off elsewhere and more likely to play, and it frees a space for someone else here, or incoming, then it's all good.

• Some clubs probably do want their youngsters to experience different styles, but I'm not sure that applies to City - certainly not in their current guise.

But I'm sure it was a well-intentioned move - it just hasn't worked out. It happens!

• It could be as simple as the emotional knock of that 45 minutes has irrevocably damaged his time at Wycombe, both from his perspective as well as the clubs. It could be as simple as being home sick, it could be that he sees the other lonees pressing on and adapting and that has affected his confidence. So many factors. ‘Talent is permanent form is temporary’ as they say.

And, surprisingly, Donacian did go on to make it at Accrington!

• It may well be true but that rumour is now over a month old and nothing has been reported yet. He's only 19 still and perhaps needed to develop his physical side a lot before being ready. Mehmeti certainly baulked up a lot inbetween his first and second season, which made a huge difference.

Clearly Breckin is very talented and I hope, for him and us, he stays and can have an impact over the second half of the season.

Luke Bolton was meant to be the next big thing out of City, and he was further along in his development than Kian at the time. We all know how that ended. So perhaps City' academy isn't quite as far along as it should be in terms of preparing them for competitive L1/L2 matches.

I suspect he'll come on and score the winner tomorrow!

• @Otter87 : '' know a lot of other things can happen for a team to loose momentum but it could be a factor?''

Loose = the opposite of tight.

Lose = the opposite of win.

/pedant mode off.

• Just physically compared to Potts and Phillips he looks like a child. He could be with us for a reality check in men's football which will have some value...training, being around preparations for competitive games, team talks, older players, etc etc.

• I think he was meant to play a big role, hence the shirt number, but it turned out he wasn’t quite ready for it. These things happen - it all looked good on paper, but that doesn’t mean it will automatically succeed in practice.

Given the success of Potts, Phillips and Boyes I don’t think any outsider would consider Wycombe a bad place to send a loanee just because it hasn’t worked out for Breckin.

As disappointing an experience as it has been for him, I’m sure he will have learnt a lot about the demands of first team football.

I’m also pretty sure he won’t be able to play for another team until January.

• Good point and the gasroom is well known for getting carried away with players too.

• Exceptionally odd. Long distance away, 3rd tier, probably midtable season, rookie manager, and like you say reputation for agricultural football.

Potts has looked leagues above, and is only 1 year older.

• I did say at the time of us signing him that the highlights of the clips of the City U23 games looked dire compared to League 1 standard. Regardless, best of luck to Breckin who didn’t have much on-pitch opportunity to disprove our coaching staff after the nightmare opening day. Southampton love a Man City young player. Hope it works out as more of a Lavia than a Bazunu.

• But again, in that first 45 minutes vs Exeter, Potts looked really shocked by the step-up in standard, too - if you can bear it watch back that first goal. And even now, he's not physically huge. He's just benefited from the time he's had on the pitch to work out the game at this level, his role in the team, and to be able to perform at the necessary level (or even above it) for 90 minutes.

• And there was me thinking, before reading this thread, that Breckin might have been involved tomorrow...

• You have to remember City have lots of affiliated teams in their group and lots and lots more players in youth teams, out on loan or elsewhere on options to sign, they can't all go to the same place, don't all need the same development and City (Youth area not Pep you'd imagine) will consider each loan offer on its merits. Blooms would have made a pitch for him based on what he thought the player needed and could do for us and what he was trying to do here and could offer.

Think we all know if he plays on Saturday and scores he'd reintegrate pretty quickly and everyone will swear it was always the plan to introduce him slowly.

• Worth a gamble, didn't pay off and we both move on.

People can get carried away when they see the team a player comes from, thinking back to Mellor last season I'm sure he got a big build up when he come on as sub against Burton on the opening day of the season, something along the lines of all the way from Manchester United.

• I stand by my comments. Phillips WAS an accident waiting to happen. But maybe someone put an arm around his shoulder and said 'calm the f down and be the player we know you can be'. Something switched for him and his last few performances have been outstanding. But clearly the management trusted Phillips and knew that he should continue to be given a chance. Breckin played that horrid 45 minutes and didn't make the bench for 6 weeks. I'm not writing Breckin off. the guys who pick the team seem to be, and thankfully they know more than I do.

• So, literally two and a half months ago then (not a month) and there were several cameo substitute appearances by Phillips in the meantime which you and several others had totally justifiable concerns about.

The main thing which differentiates Kian Breckin from Phillips is their physicality. The latter played for Shrewsbury last season (and won Young Player of the Season, I think). I wouldn’t mind betting that he took a good few games to attune to the physical side of “men’s” football.

I’d love to see Kian get his chance tomorrow. If he scored the winning goal, that would give his confidence a massive boost (or, as my mate @Malone would say, super massive).

• If Breckin is off in January, then was it a bit surprising to see him on the bench on Tuesday?

• I think I read that Phillips didn't have a full pre-season, not sure why. But the fact remains despite some less than brilliant performances the management had faith in him. If Breckin needed bedding in a bit more slowly as he had not had senior football experience then not even making the bench is hardly a way to give him that. It has only been the past couple of weeks when we were down to bare bones has he cropped up again. As for physical build I don't think I look at Potts and confuse him with Bayo, he is very slight but that doesn't impact his game he knows how to use what he has. So that excuse for Breckin doesn't ring true. He might just be homesick or might be square peg in a round hole we don't have. I hope he gets a start tomorrow and rips it up giving MB a real selection headache when others are fit.

• Definitely not, @mooneyman. I know that, long ago, I earned a fully justified reputation (on here) for being pedantic and a combination of OCD and a reasonable aptitude for languages will always cause “slippages”, apart from obvious typos, to hit me in the solar plexus, figuratively speaking.

I like to think I learned my lesson. I no longer draw attention to misspellings, dodgy syntax or whatever. I’ll always try to write “good” English and, provided I know or can guess what someone means, that’s all that matters.

@bargepole is about the same age as I was when I joined the original Gasroom about twelve years ago. He will learn (perhaps) as I did that no one likes a smart arse on the Gasroom!!

@Otter87 is a good guy, whose opinions I always find interesting and, from Direct Messages we have exchanged, I think we probably have a lot in common. He doesn’t need English lessons.

• I am still confused. Is Breckin still with us or has there been official confirmation anywhere that he is returning north/heading south?

• edited November 2023

Yes I agree with this. I don't think Breckin is a seven-stone weakling... I remember looking at his Instagram when he signed and seeing a pic of him with his personal trainer and thinking he had muscles that'd make Garath McCleary weep with envy. I thought then he was going to add some strength to our midfield, certainly compared to Josh Scowen!

I still think it's strange how he disappeared from the squad after that first match - I would get him being benched but being totally removed must've really knocked his confidence. His performance in the JPT against Crystal Palace was good and I hoped to see him integrated more after that. If he'd been on the bench away at Fleetwood I suspect he'd have been brought on but that's the only time we've had a decent safety net all season.

I'd still love to see him develop with Wycombe - I naively assumed from the top of the thread he'd already been recalled - but if he really isn't going to factor within Matt's thinking then best for all he moves on.

Who was that loanee from Rotherham who came here for half a season and didn't play a minute? At least Breckin's done more for us than that.

• Well, we will either watch his meteoric rise to Champions League glory and think how strange it was he never made an impact with us.

Or we will be asking 'Who was that high profile loanee from Man City who hardly got any game time...?'

('Breckin?...think he's turning out for (insert L1/L2 club here) now')

• In answer to your question, nothing has been officially announced by either club and it is just one person on Twitter who claims they are "ITK" making a prediction that this will happen.

Southampton was rumoured to be interested in the summer, along with several other teams from League 1 and Championship so if he is being recalled and then being moved on to somewhere else, good luck to him

• It is funny how outraged/irritated some Man City fans are without seeing any of our games, as if we should be duty bound to play him. Of course I don't expect them to be thrilled as they want him to develop, but I have seen comments like "Wycombe have treated him despicably" and such.

• On another note, I wonder if we will see any Arsenal loanees next season, given Blooms has a bit of a connection with the U21 coach there.

• Can I ask something? Are we at risk of losing all 3 of them in January? If Potts & Philips could get recalled because of their form and their parent side looking into an opportunity for them to step up? Then with Breckin potentially being recalled, our 6 centre midfielders goes down to 3.

If there is a bit of truth about Breckin, if he is going to be recalled, I don't think he'll play on Sat as Man City won't want him to be cup-tied for his new club. If he is named in the squad, I think we can rubbish this claim.

Sometimes I hate transfer windows and this January is def going to be the same!

• @bargepole I am one of the only ones who has enjoyed reading and taking onboard your (unpopular) views and find them interesting. However if you are going to pin-point minor spelling and grammar mistakes, you obviously have way too much time on your hands. Also you are going to go after someone, make it worth your while.