Skip to content

Wycombe monitoring Uche

Comments

• But for me, the lack of service to the current forwards is a reason why we should consider Ikpeazu rather than why we shouldn’t.

Why? Because I feel that Uche is better able to create something out of nothing than our current forwards (although admittedly perhaps I haven’t seen enough of Taylor yet to make that call on him).

Ikpeazu actually makes me think of a better version of Hanlan - i.e. great pace and physicality and can turn his defender well…except Uche is a better finisher.

And, on the down side, they’re both a bit crap in the air for big men…but maybe that doesn’t matter in the ball-to-feet revolution of the Bloomfield era.

But as others have said, we won’t be able to compete financially (and not should we try) with Championship clubs, so who knows.

• I think that if we sign Uche, it does signal the end of some of the player's journeys with us. Players like Mellor, TJ & Hanlan will all need to find a new club (if we are to afford him!).

I also think it marks a backwards step. Matt Bloomfield has made a massive effort to start changing the club's identity with the way we want to play this year. I understand his pro's but he only scored 8 goals for us, he has never been a 15-20 goal a season player.

What we need is a winger, someone with pace, drive and a bit of flair that also has youth on their side. Someone who can beat their man or get to the by-line and cut back a ball.

• I’d have him back, but only if it was the right financial move for the Club. He showed quality in his first spell with us and would add value to the squad, with his unpredictably being an advantage in my book.

Signing Uche does probably mean the end for Brandon however at Wycombe and it’ll be interesting to see how these Hanlan Wrexham links play out over the next few days.

• Personally cannot see why we want Uche back . 6 goals in over 30 games isn’t exactly prolific. If we have the money available, I would go for a pacy young winger who could supply Vokes and Taylor. Not sure that will happen because it would probably mean a change to 4-3-3 which it appears is not Bloomfield’s preferred system. He seems wedded to 3 at the back no matter what.

• How many English centre forwards are the Turkish league going to sign before they realise it’s not going to work out?

Definition of madness - doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different outcome.

Same goes for us: too expensive, too injury prone, too few goals, too at odd with our system. Apart from that the perfect fit🙄

• I would use the money to buy The Player (a striker from whom the goals will come or a young winger who will provide quality supply) who would guarantee promotion whatever formation we play. I do not understand why MB cannot see it my way.

• Just don't see how Uche fits in with the general ethos of the club at the minute. He is injury prone, doesn't score lots, unpredictable, (which can be a good thing), plus isn't exactly young so if we do sign him, it is for now & not the future. 🤷‍♂️

• Taylor strikes me as the kind of player who will start to carve out his own chances once he settles in.

• How many people are going to keep mentioning his goal record.

It was in a half season where we were a fairly hapless outfit just about containing teams in the main, and he had very little service and largely created magic from nothing.

We're a division lower now, the standard is a lot lower. Why wouldn't an 8 goal championship guy score double that here?

(Ignoring how poor we currently look going forward obviously!).

• Yep, it is quite simple.

Just allocate 1m to a transfer fee and wages for this player, and the money we'll gain from promotion renders it obviously a good decision.

• Naughty boy @Malone but good to see someone playing along with @Wendoverman’s repartee.

• A striker is there to score goals, thats their only job.

Its like a teacher getting their students rubbish grades.....

• That's a fairly old school view. Those strikers who only score goals have been phased out to quite an extent especially at the top level. Strikers have to do more now.

You must think most target men are failures, as they'll typically score fewer goals than their buddy in a 2 up front system.

• Thinking more about the Michael Owen type goalscorers. You don't get as many of those as you used to.

You can't carry that type like you used to.

• Even they create quite a lot too! The days of the pure poacher are largely over.

• Kane plays deeper and deeper, remarkable he scored so many goals for such a bad team.

As for Haaland - Pep all but proved they didn't need someone like him to win the league in previous seasons but he's clearly brilliant and if you've got unlimited money, could win most games with 10 men anyway and want to win everything and build your brand he's not a bad purchase.

• edited August 2023

We mention his goal scoring record because that's what all strikers are judged on. Not their Xg, Assists, headers won, touches in or around the box. Appearences vs Goals. Fans that look at more stats, fair play to them but sometimes the basic stats can give you a better view.

Uche is a modern day version of Heskey when he played for Liverpool. He'll blunder about, put his body into challenges and every now & then will produce a moment of excellence before then missing an open goal in the same game.

He has been tried and tested in our squad & the Championship where he was ok and did a job in a system that suited his style. I reckon he might do really well at QPR as they don't have many options and GA will play to his strengths. Whereas here, we have goal potentials throughout the midfield and strikers. Taylor, Vokes, Leahy, Philips, McCleary have all shown an eye for goal. We no longer NEED to rest our hopes on just 1 player and Uche might be an impact sub but will come at a very big price...

• If Uche was Heskey he'd be playing in the Premier League.

• If Uche was Heskey he'd be retired

• If Uche was Heskey, who would be Uche?

• LX1LX1
    edited August 2023

Emile Heskey was one of the greatest forwards ever to play for England. Martin O'Neill knew it.

I think we all know why some posters have linked him to Uche.

• @Malone

You actually are playing champ man in in your mom's basement aren't you?

• I wasted many an hour playing such games. I wouldn't dare now.

• Uche "blunders" about.

Quite an interesting way to describe a striker who was really good for us in the highest tier we've been in and went for one of the biggest fees we've ever had.

• ”5-1, even Heskey scored” is still my all-time favourite England chant.

• And he would be currently coaching England under 18s and have 6 kids.