Skip to content

Match day thread: Lincoln

Comments

• I was very much guilty of this, thinking keeping the culture intact is protecting our greatest asset. Unfortunately, dressing room unity does not mean much if there is no idea how to score a goal.

I am sure everyone will have their "fixes", and I know how much everyone jumps on an overreaction, but two games in I am massively concerned.

Of course, Orient is a midweek game, so we will win that.

• Fair enough if we're two games into his tenure. But we were dreadful at the end of last season too.

• I’m going to try to forget about it completely until Tuesday evening.

• you need a dose of reality and stop noshing off bloomers

• Its only 2 games but we need to accept

1. Grimmer is not a wing back, he is too slow to get back when the ball is turned over, he is decent enough as a RB
    2. Keogh & Taf (& JJ) may read the game ok but they either sit too deep giving the opposition space in front of them or end up getting bypassed by quick forwards as they cannot recover at anything much past a slow jog, so we cannot play them together
    3. Leahy looks really good & will create a great partnership with Scowen & Potts
    4. Boyes looks decent as a LWB/LB but needs to start, likewise KVY is a better bet than Grimmer as a RB & should start ahead of him
    5. It doesn't matter who we play up front if we continue to fail to get the ball to them they will not score
    6. We are currently poor in transition both too slow to receover when we lose the ball & far too static when they lose the ball
    7. For all the interview chat we seem to have forgotten how to play as a team or for that matter communicate to each other on the field

Some of those things are quick fixes others will take desire & hard work on the trianing pitches

• You don't think Bloomfield knows anything about Ainsworth's methods? He made a decision to chuck it out on Day 1 at Shrewsbury.

• We seem to be less than the sum of parts which is rather worrying.

• Every signing he’s made (on paper) looks excellent. However I wonder if we are signing excellent players and not necessarily excellent players that fit the style he wants to play. Phillips, Breckin, Potts, Leahy all creative players so how does that work? We sign Breckin exciting, then Potts becomes available let’s get him too and then Phillips let’s get him too. I guess my thought is just because you can doesn’t mean you should.

• I remember you ticking me off for losing a big of hope when we lost about 10 in a row in the champs.

So I'm sure you have plenty of optimism to offer us.

• Have to say not sure what the M25 car share talk about on their way to the training ground in the early hours of the morning. Certainly can’t be about football and tactics . Pretty poor today and that’s being generous for the second league game running. 6 goals conceded and none scored. Carry on like this and the boys from Suffolk won’t have to worry about getting up early. Big concern for me is not only these last two league games but the end of last season as well. There have to be serious questions if Bloomfield is up to it.

• edited August 2023

We have an issue with armband pressure too - the captain should ideally be someone who is going to play every week, same with the vice-captain - Grimmer felt shoehorned in today, when Boyes played so well previously. We can't strip JJ of the club captaincy, but Scowen or Leahy should wear the armband week in week out, with the other as the deputy. Those are the only two nailed on starters for me.

For the next game:

Stryjek

Vincent-Young

Low

Forino

Boyes

Scowen

Leahy

Potts

McCleary

Taylor

Vokes

• Does it show they have a lot of faith in him or does it show they didn't really know where else to look and panicked?

• Wingbacks ineffective, strikers isolated and defenders ponderous. It's an unattractive system at the moment.

• A massively disappointing second half, after we looked solid in the first half, and could / should have gone in at HT 1-0 or 2-0 up.

But I won't be panicking, we've got a quality squad, and once they start playing as a team, the results will come.

• edited August 2023

Needed to score in the first half while the wind was on our side.

• edited August 2023

Jj can stay as club captain, just that the regular captain should be a starter.

Yep. Immediately scrap the back 3 stuff. Only play one of the slower or older defenders.

Either get the wide attackers back in or have the definite attacking mid in addition to the 3 mainstays.

• As I’ve previously explained, the Championship season stood on its own terms outside the normal assessment of our chances and progress.

I thought we’d lose our first two games, but the manner of the defeats suggests there’s a great deal of work to be done.

There’s no cause for mindless panic or role-playing optimism. It’s August.

• It's mindful panic

• We all knew we needed to gel, but we did not realize that we needed to build the gel manufacturing plant from scratch with our bare hands, produce the gel using a painstaking and time consuming process, and ship it to Adams Park in tiny vials.

• Possibly the worst thing about all this is that we're probably going to end up sacking a club legend. And it feels like a Catch-22 because every game he's left in the job is going to be another week watching him torture himself with the disappointment of it all.

It would be so much easier to be pissed off if we'd just appointed some arsehole. If only they'd hired Barton or Derek Adams as cannon fodder for the inevitable post-Ainsworth collapse.

• Yep, its pretty insulting to say it's mindless to be a bit worried at two 3-0 shoeing against average league 1 teams.

• Oh probably this too. They're new into English football, and had such success so quickly that it's understandable they looked to that.

But making that choice comes with faith put in him.

• The back three are way too flat footed to play progressive football.

• Also, we're 2 games in. Noone thought we'd get promoted. If it's still this bad come November, it's justified panicking.

• For me the biggest warning sign came with how we failed to turn anything round with the subs. I'm not sure how bad McCleary's leg is to require all that strapping but he looked off the pace and a shadow of himself. De Barr I've never rated (and yes I was one of the few who said that al-Hamedi seemed a much better prospect than him right from the start). He kept getting muscled off the ball today, he seems to have the touch of a non league player. Hanlan played well against League Two opposition but did nothing today. None of them seem game changers.

Stryjek was beaten twice by crosses from the byline today and once from close range last week. He's a good shot stopper at distance but I'm not seeing what everyone else does on his overall quality. People keep saying his distribution has improved but it seemed very hit and miss today.

It might not be entirely a coincidence that we've not scored a goal against either team we've played in the league so far given they've both signed a young Premier League keeper on loan. This is the only area of the first team we haven't strengthened. I know not critiquing Stryjek is sacrosanct around here. But there we are.

• We’ve played two games. We signed ten new players.

Sure, the results have been awful, but there’s no need to panic.

• That'll not be popular to read, but every chance of the latter.

On paper it's pure romanticism. In real life it could be worst case.

Roll on Tuesday though.

• I doubt he'll get sacked but if it were to happen it won't until after Ainsworth gets sacked by QPR so that the Couhigs can either bring him back or appoint Dobson as manager.

• edited August 2023

Why are people writing off the last 15 games of last season as if they didn't count? They may not have been 'his' players, but we still got a pretty good idea of Blooms the coach. The same issues - mainly a blunt attack and concerning defensive lapses - are still very much there.