Skip to content

Match day thread: Cardiff

Comments

• Impressed with Dale Taylor too…reminded me a little of Stuart Beavon

• Wonder if we're going to abandon the wide attackers approach. Will be interesting to see how that affects Hanlan and McCleary.

That middle 3 didn't seem like it created much.

But with Vokes back in the starting lineup it'll look different of course, and we won't be playing championship level teams.

• Considering we had Taf, Wheeler, Mellor and Pattenden missing from the match day squad today, then we have probably got the strongest squad we have had for some time.

The amazing clearance off the line in the last five or so minutes robbed us of a victory against a Cardiff side who won’t be battling relegation next season.

• McCarthy too.

Would like to see where that foul was on TJ too.

He ended up about 10 yards into the box after being felled, and the ref positioned it about 10 yards outside the box!

• How does our midfield shape up?

Potts looked superb today, so who are the two in front of him? Two of Leahy, Breckin and Scowen?

• As friendly or testimonial games go I thought this was a entertaining afternoon albeit a goalless draw. Cardiff went for it for the first fifteen or so minutes after which we started linking up with some neat moves deflating Cardiff’s persistent pressure. Really impressed with the new boys fighting hard closing down the opposition. Potts was exceptional, never looked rushed strolling about as if he owned Adams Park, his two cross field balls were sublime. I think Matt will be satisfied with events on the pitch today. Given time we could have a formidable side capable of taking on the best in this league. Icing on the cake was Vokes, Mcleary and Scowen coming on to dispute many on Gasroom who presumed they were injured. The real stuff kicks off next week. I cannot recall the last time I have felt this optimistic about our prospects for a season. COYB !.

• Yes and Jason McCarthy who is another really good player.

The other thing that really impressed me today was the running off the ball and the fact that players always made themselves available to receive the ball. Potts in particular was always on hand to receive the ball and to set us in our way. Potts will be a class act in League 1 for sure.

• Grimmer had a shot!

• Couldn’t make it today as tied up with cricket.

Was the food offering at the kiosks any improvement on last year?

• Chips were available in the kiosks in the FA stand. I didn't have any, but they looked ok.

• I think it's early days to say we are going to be competing at the top end. Other clubs have strengthened too. We couldn't afford to get left behind so we have acted accordingly and its very exciting, but time will tell. I still think we seem a little light in attack but MB must see something and I'm hoping Mellor can chip in with a few this season.

Not being pessimistic, just realistic.

• Perhaps the most pleasing aspect of today's run-out, is that many players, old and new, put their hands up, and it means Matt has some difficult choices to make when he selects the starting XI for Exeter.

But much better to have that problem, than be scratching around trying to find eleven fit players, which was an issue towards the end of last season.

• Can't imagine either Vokes or Scowen will start next week. Bloomfield said they only just started training this week and a short run-out at the end of a pre-season friendly is completely different to being chucked in for the opening game of the season.

• What’s the record number of debuts we’ve had on the opening day of a league season?

• Yes I think that’s fair. Today was ok but I’m not sure I saw quite as much in some of the new players that others did across the 90 mins today. Mainly 6/10 performances, for me.

It was a decent run out but it was a bit pre-season friendly in terms of the intensity and I’d like to think there’s plenty more to come from most of them. But at least the potential seems to be there.

• edited July 2023

Chip van in the car park was selling them at £4.50 with curry sauce at £1.50. A bit steep…surely?

Didn’t see any chips in the family stand…where I think we could sell a lot of chips? Pies were being sold.

• What's people's opinion on Breckin so far?

To me, looks as if he needs some time to adapt more to this level / style of football.

Last week at Aldershot, thought he took a long time to get into the game - early on, he seemed to be struggling a bit, and the game was passing him by to a certain extent. He did better as the game went on, and did provide the assist for our second goal.

Didn't go to Wealdstone. Thought he was better today than at Aldershot, but not sure he's up to a starting place yet for next weekend.

I guess the transition from City's youngsters to League One isn't necessarily straightforward, but I'm sure he'll do just fine in time.

• Similar at Wealdstone. Technically you can see his quality when he gets a bit of time and he's clearly keen to get stuck in but would say he looked a little lost in the hustle and bustle of it at times

• I reckon it might vary game to game. We seemed to finish in more of a 5-2-3.

Agree that the midfield trio didn't look likely to get into many advanced positions, which leaves you depending quite a bit on the wing-backs to make chances for the two forwards.

As I say, almost impossible to read anything meaningful into a friendly. Although it is at least clear we'll be deploying an entirely new shape and strategy this season, which will be interesting to watch develop.

• With Scowen and Vokes possibly not fully up to speed, not to mention Taff & JMac, and the loanees needing time to adjust to league 1 football I think we will need to be very patient in the early weeks of the season.

MB and the team have done a good job in assembling a new look squad. Let's hope they can gel and collectively provide the attacking threat we seem to lack.

Grimmer and TJ with our only efforts of note yesterday! I'm sure that statistic will change.

• No chips in the Valley, but the pies weren’t bad and were cheaper at £5.50

• Yea agreed. I suspect they will both be on the bench against Exeter and maybe have a run out on the Tuesday against MK.

• Yes, while there’s been plenty to like in pre-season perhaps the biggest question mark at this point remains how this team is going to create enough chances/score enough goals.

We’ve scored 4 in 4 pre-season matches by my reckoning.

Its very early days so no need to panic at all yet but in the 3-5-2 formation we saw for most of yesterday we didn’t really see the two wing backs play very high or get into dangerous crossing positions that often.

Also the two more advanced midfielders (Leahy and Breckin) rarely got forward to support the front two, leaving Hanlan and Taylor a bit isolated.

We looked a bit more threatening towards the end in the 3-4-2-1 formation that we played at Wealdstone, with TJay and McCleary playing off big Sam.

However, it’s early days so no need to jump to any conclusions quite yet.

• That is absolutely disgusting. As bad as my £2.75 bottle of coke.

Prices are out of control at the ground and I suspect most people will now eat and drink elsewhere. Shame really.

• Have just read all the West Ham fans’ comments on Twitter about Freddie Potts. Wow!! Which was also mrs micra’s comment when I showed her a picture of him.

The consensus seems to be that he’ll be a starter for West Ham next season, if not sooner.

Also saw James Richings’ post quoting MB re McCarthy and Wheeler. Neither close to a return, apparently.

And after the comment a few days ago about Jasper Pattenden’s groin twinge against Wealdstone (when he was withdrawn after 30 minutes as a precaution), it seems that there is going to be a bit more openness about injuries than the virtual news blackout on that score in recent years.

Trust that won’t trouble @glasshalffull too much! 😉

• I wonder whether MB’s initial focus is to close the door at the other end before developing the attacking threat. We did seem to develop a soft underbelly after GA left conceding goals too frequently. Not a bad idea to shore up the defence initially

• Confession time (again). I always had a heavy English brunch around midday before home games. Probably contributed to the bouts of tachycardia which came on between parking and kickoff and, ultimately, made attending games too stressful an experience. That plus not exercising during lockdown and losing too much mobility.

• Sorry to hear that @micra . It is the realisation that mobility is starting to become an issue that makes you realise that health and happiness are worth much more than wealth, well in my book they are.

• How refreshing to have a manager actually address the injury situation and give some information as to how long players might be out for

Genuinely, thanks Blooms

Presumably all the posters who spent years defending Gaz on this are now panicking we're going to lose to Exeter next weekend because we've given away too much information?