Skip to content

Match day thread: Cardiff

Comments

• Sounded like a good run out for the new lads who from what I could hear gave decent account sof themselves

• 2,8??, including 8?? Cardiff. According to commentator on Wycombe Sound.

• Would like to have “seen” more of Jack Young.

• Shame Tjay didn't get the pen, and that his late effort was cleared off the line. Good showing off the bench from him though.

• Under 2000 Wycombe isn't great, obviously cost is a factor but wonder how many people chose to go shopping or something else instead and how many of them would have come of he'd got one of the bigger teams, or Spurs.

• Thought he looked a real nuisance when he came on.

• Sometimes the crowd figures for testimonials are a little out. For reasons best left unsaid!

• It's a pre season friendly. How many did you expect?

• edited July 2023

For a regular pre-season friendly 2837 is an okay crowd, but it was JJs testimonial so I'd hoped for more.

Decent showing from the new signings. Interesting to see the actual starting 11 next week, I'm sure it won't be the same as started today.

And the newest grandsons first game, at aged 13½ months, so all good

• The permutations next Saturday will be interesting to see.

• Yeah, we got 5000+ for Leicester a few years ago so it is a bit of a shame for a thank you for a club legend but nobody is compelled to go to anything.

• I was disappointed with the crowd but it is right in the middle of the holiday season.

As for the team, we have some really good players in that group. I am really excited about next season and on that showing we will win more than we lose.

Exciting times ahead I think.

• I'm not quite sure if Cardiff rescued the day with such a great away total or if it was the fact it was "only" Cardiff that kept the number down.

But 2,837 is OK I suppose

Can't knock people too much when it's £20 an adult even to stand, with a glut of games coming up soon.

• Looks like we've made some very good signings indeed. Potts in particular caught the eye

• Also, with Vokes and Josh Scowen coming on, we have two of our senior players nearing a full return.

• Anyone know how much Arron Ramsey earns a week at Cardiff

• edited July 2023

Reputed to be £176,000 per week, equivalent to around £9m per year.

Does anyone know why footballers' wages are quoted at £X per week, when in most other walks of life, quoting annual salaries is the norm?

• That'll be up to his dad, but I expect him too (4th generation in the family to support the Wanderers if he does).

• Thought vincent-young, boyes and Leahy all had good games as well. Excited for this squad to be honest. Some nice quick attacking football as well as hoofing. Some of the crosses might have been in if Big Sam was on.

• Surely that was him at Juve? Can't imagine he's on half that at Cardiff. Think £ per week is just because they used to get paid per week or per game. Easy way for the press to sensationalise someone earning decent money too.

• Potts will be player of the season.

I predicted there was no way he would join us, I went so far as as to USE CAPS. Now he's here he will tear this league apart. Moyes has made a huge mistake on this one and hopefully when he gets fired (I don't wish him to, just look at their preparation and squad for the season ahead) the new manager doesn't want Potts back.

• edited July 2023

The starting new lads all did well. Sitting in the family stand we had a close up view of Vincent-Young at wing back. He looked very comfortable on the ball and played his way out of trouble playing well off Grimmer.

Taylor up front put himself about but had little in the way of clear chances…feinted a nice step over to put Hanlan in.

Boyes looked good at left wing back.

Potts defensive mid and Brecken attacking mid had that touch of quality (both still young physically).

Leaghy very capable if a little slow.

Keogh showed his age both positively, really read the game well and also just short of pace…could be another Adam El-Abd we hope!

Forino looked like he has bulked up since last season. Gives Blooms a tough choice for the back 3 for opening day, but I suspect he picks Keogh and adds pace alongside him.

Grimmer had an excellent game and will surely start next week.

• Agree with all.of that @Forest_Blue

• With Leahy I did start wondering about his mobility. Doesn't look the most mobile does he, so we'll have to get the right mixture round him.

First view though, so way too early for such thinking I suppose, but we all have our first thought.

Assuming Taf's absence is just another niggle, rather than teeth boys / transfer being arranged, we'll really have to watch how we fuse him and Keogh. It looks like Keogh is nailed on for that central of 3 role.

• Grimmer certainly has the place to lose on his side.

• What a terrific bunch of players we have signed! Stand outs today were Vincent-Young,Potts,Leahy,Boyes and a great cameo from Taylor who looks to be a real threat. Keogh surprised me too, calm and very influential in defence. If all goes to plan we are in for a really good season.

• Potts and Vincent-young looked good. Leahy and Keogh clearly more established players.

Boyes was ok but looks better going forward than defending.

Overall it was a d cent run out and good to see familiar faces like Scowen, Grimmer, TJ, Hanlan, JJ and others looking sharp for the season opener.

My only criticism was that it wasn't really clear what our goalscoring strategy was and some of the passing was a bit too sideways for me. Hard to read too much into any pre season game though.