Skip to content

Couhigs planning exit strategy

124»

Comments

• I’ll be interested to revisit this if we’re 15th at Christmas but playing the ball around in perfect triangles.

• As a newcomer to all this, i know very little about football tactics, but it seems to me quite obvious that:

To win games, you have to score more goals than you concede.

In order to score goals, you have to get shots on target.

The more shots you fire, the greater the chances of some of them being on target, and some of those resulting in goals.

You can't do any of the above from inside your own half, so the ball needs to go forward as often as possible.

With the signings we have made, we look quite solid defensively (even if Forino goes) and I don't think we will concede many this season. So we just need Vokes and whoever else plays up front to find their best form, and we have a real chance of doing something special.

• I was listening to an academic one day and he forwarded a theory which resonated with me. However, I'll probably mangle it but here goes!

He thought that people's football teams are like the other baubles of life - houses, cars, holidays etc. Nowadays, people seem more than ever interested in these signals - to be part of the 'cool club'. In 'supporting' a top team, they feel like 'winners' even if, in real life, they might not be quite so. For some people, their football team is the most important thing in their life. It's about wanting the best for oneself - after all, why would you want second best in this world? Perhaps this is related to the consumerist world that is foisted upon us at all turns.

Anyway, this hasn't come out particularly well but I hope that I've covered the gist. Within it contains at least some of the reason why achieving big gates at Wycombe won't be as easy as playing good football and winning some games.

• I agree with @Vital and @Chris I've seen players have a bad day and bemoaned late subs...but a few teams aside...I must have missed the smooth, to feet, champagne football of the rest of Leagues One and Two that put us to shame over the past few years.

• Reverse selling point though was always that you can watch Utd or Chelsea on TV but might only see them once or twice a season live and get very little access to players, and everything is eye wateringly expensive. Have to keep our prices competitive and events like the open day going.

• This may come as news to some, but there is a middle ground between 'pussyfooting around at the back' and hoofing it.

• At our best under Gaz, that's what we had found

• Agreed.

I never could quite align the people boring on about this so called "style of play" with players such as Wing, JJ, Mawson/Taf, Scowen, Vokes, Freeman, McCleary and Mehmeti.

Hardly old school Wimbledon were they!?

• My response to you was purely in relation to the lack of extra bums on seats and why this might be and why we seem to have hit a ceiling of 5700’ish.

If you would like some positives then in no particular order.

1. Riding high in League One every season with a chance of Playoffs in recent seasons.
    2. A very accessible squad who are superb with supporters.
    3. Long ball and fast moving forward balls with lots of headers and more chances per game than slow build up.
    4. Superb suites and lounges for the corporate/wealthy fan.
    5. Superb Wi-Fi.
    6. We still have a terrace
    7. At the party the food and beer on offer seemed to be a good improvement, pricing I can’t remember, which is key.
    8. The divisions best goalkeeper, unless you shove a mic in his direction 😊
    9. Matt is our manager.
    10. The Cecil family.
    11. Phil C.
    12. The Couhig family and the support they have given the club in the last four years.
    13. Hard working members of the Trust board and fans who work for free in the ground.

I could go on.

• edited July 2023

Are you quoting from this article in relation to pricing.

All 92 Premier League and EFL clubs' season ticket prices - find out how expensive YOUR side is - Mirror Online

If you are, then the cheapest season tickets are not showing for at least 21 of the clubs in League One. This survey was conducted during early July and does not count the early bird pricing for each club and they have taken some figures for seating and ignored terrace tickets (Cheltenham for instance). Our pricing is in relation to the terrace.

Barnsley - July/£392 but in May it was £350

2023/24 Season Tickets - Barnsley Football Club (barnsleyfc.co.uk)

Bristol Rovers - July/£369 but in May it was £339

23/24 Season Tickets - Bristol Rovers

Burton - July/£432 but in May it was £301

MAKE SURE YOU CASH IN ON OUR EARLY BIRD SEASON TICKET OFFER - News - Burton Albion (burtonalbionfc.co.uk)

Cambridge - July/£390 but in May it was £360

2023/24 Season Ticket renewals on sale now - News - Cambridge United

Carlisle United - July/£391 but in May it was £340

Carlisle United - Season Tickets

Cheltenham - July/£426 but in May it was £283

Season Tickets 2023/24 - Cheltenham Town FC (ctfc.com)

Our cheapest ticket at any point is £362 as we do not offer early bird.

These are the first six teams (alphabetically) who had more expensive tickets than us as a starting point in the July survey, every single one is cheaper if you purchased early.

I don't have the time to list the other clubs but only Shrewsbury and Portsmouth have more expensive tickets. Wycombe Wanderers have the most expensive terrace season ticket in League One and the second most expensive seated season ticket behind Portsmouth.

• Do many teams have a season ticket more expensive than our top end one? £494 is it?

• edited July 2023

Our most expensive is £514 now.

That is very difficult to quantify as some clubs throw in free parking or programmes or something else within the top end tickets.

I did this last season and looked at seats in the centre area on the side of the ground. So, arguably the best view and covered from the elements. I think we were around third or fourth most expensive for this seat. From memory I can only remember Ipswich and Charlton being more expensive and I don't have the workings now.

Edit : Charlton are the only club with a more expensive ticket than us at the top end. I have taken pricing from May on all counts when the season ended and before the Playoffs. I think 22 other teams offer early bird, we do not.

• Adding to the positives, in no particular order: development squad recruitment, the floodlights, decent PA system quality (even if that isn’t always matched by the music choice and timing of said), the big screen…….

• I like those additions and all brought to us by the Couhigs.

• edited July 2023

This is not a dig, so the usual people please don't think so

But we had to do the floodlights because of promotion to the championship, also the electronic boards. Had we have not gone up, neither would probably have been done. They do look great though ! Fantastic floodlights

• I mused similar the other day, saying although the Couhigs have done well for us, without Gareth's mastery of management, what would we actually have.

Certainly no championship season, and thus no new floodlights, wifi or electronic boards.

We'd have a real debate about whether the Wycombe village, food, dancers, fireworks etc had added up to the "best" match day experience in the country as billed.