Skip to content

Comments

• 'Owner PETE Couhig'

• @ReturnToSenda Not the worst mistake made at Broadcasting House lately, but yeah, pretty shoddy.

• https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0g1dngw

16 minute interview here - having a first listen now...

• I think this was always likely to be the case. He came in wanting to try and leave the club in a better place than he found it.

We were in a pretty wretched place when the Couhigs took over, having had to slash our budget in L1 and there was a very real possibility we'd have been relegated and worse, and it was no longer feasible with the Trust.

He came in, steadied the ship and we got up to the Championship. IF he manages to sell it to someone decent, which is always a big ask in football, I'm fine with how it's turned out.

As I said in a previous post, all I want from my club is to see us win more than we lose, and ultimately exist.

• Hopefully there will be an independent regulator in place by the time he sells, but I won’t hold my breath.

• I do think something changed, probably on Pete's end. I can't imagine the sacrifice and dedication he showed staying over here for the length of time made sense if they really thought it was going to be such a relatively short-term thing.

• Oh I really should have listened to the full audio before commenting!

Rob confirms that Pete was due to take over from Rob, but that this is no longer on the table. I guess adding credence to my speculation

• RC mentions sending a fruit basket to Ryan Reynolds, which shows the interest to be American. The Tom Cruise dream lives on, folks! I can't wait for people the world over to shed a tear over the romance of Wycombe as he ploughs 200 million into getting us into the PL.

• The worrying aspect of that is 200 million probably isn’t enough in most cases.

• edited July 2023

But instead of us having a team full of christians, we go out and sign a load of players who think Star Trek was a documentary.

• Gawd. I thought it was imminent...

• Saw the headline and assumed it was an article about the new road

• Interesting that he's admitted he bought more of the club so he could sell it for more investment, not necessarily how it was advertised, but probably a clever move to fund the sort of investment he's mentioned and the playing budget (he ain't putting more in and the club isn't earning a profit) and ultimately make it worth more when he sells, probably positive for us in the short and medium term... if not then allowing him to gain 15% extra for very little and then sell it for more might be a decision that brings questions.

He does like to talk in riddles and this seems to be an effort to attract investors but it doesn't looks like an ask or a need to run away soon.

• Not keen on Tom Cruise,he might insist every player has to commit some ridiculous stunt to get the fans excited and create content for WWTV.

• Like climbing the tower to the top of the Chairboylift?

• 'Duck sized bears you say GMac? Interesting. Now you see that Hercules taxiing on the tarmac...?'

• There are no surprises in the interview as we all knew that Rob would need to prepare an exit strategy. An exit strategy is something that an investor of his age would need to consider from the outset.

Rob now has a 50 year lease on the ground and 90% of the shares, so he has total control and can sell to anyone he wishes to as long as they pass the necessary league ownership requirements.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see the Couhigs sell up during this current season, especially now Pete is unable to devote as much time as in the past.

I am not being critical of the Couhigs as they have done a lot of good for the club and god knows where we would have been without their initial investment but the sounds they are now making really point to a sale sooner rather than later.

• Going back to the fruit basket thing on a serious note, that would imply RC would get a decent, profitable offer for the club based on enthusiasm generated by the Wrexham series. He made other comments to that effect too. It does make me wonder if L1 and L2 will suddenly become more targeted by Americans.

I met a bloke yesterday who is from Minnesota and has never had any real interest in football. However, he said that since the Wrexham documentary, he and many others have become fascinated by the idea of promotion, relegation, and the seemingly endless football pyramid.

• I think the road plan has fallen through and just like before, he doesn't want to be trapped in a ground thats starting to show its age

• edited July 2023

The road is an absolute pipe dream.

It's the multi-millionaire equivalent of trying to increase your house price by including in the description potential to extend, then in brackets sneaking in (subject to planning permission).

• The road was never gonna happen. At best it was a chance to test the council support for football at AP, at worst it was a way of saying ‘well we tried to get more revenue but the world is against us’.

As for RC saying he was looking to move on he said this from day 1. Improve asset and flog it.

Has he improved the long term state of the club? Dunno. Has it been a blast under his tenure? No doubt.

• Although most have worried at times about having owners that hold the majority share of our club... I think few could disagree that we are in a far better position now than when they took over. Although RC has, in true American style...optimistically over promised at times.... the one promise he made at the beginning of all this is the one that actually matters. He told us the minimum plan was to leave this club in a better place than when he took over... and I 100% believe that will be the case.

• edited July 2023

Didn't he also promise he'd sort the toilets out? That's the true barometer of success imo.

• Having been one of the ones asking about what there exit strategy would be, before the original take over happened - because no one goes into any investment with at least some kind of an exit/pay day strategy - I am comforted they this seems a little bit of a rehash of old information he has said before but perhaps with a bit more bones on it.

I.E. The messaging is and has been consistent on this subject.

I think this sort of topic actually plays into Robs strengths a lot more than perhaps some of the more “in the weeds” detail of a football club and what it’s aims on the pitch are.

As the owner it is his job to constantly ensure there is a succession plan (the “what happens if I am hit by a bus tomorrow” scenario should always have a clear plan or action) and it’s good the owner is open on this.

I would be infinitely more concerned if he was sat there with the thoughts he would be there forever and had no real idea what would happen if/when he suddenly decides to go

• I might be wrong here but he stated that the proposed new road would transport 250 cars per game. To me, these would carry roughly two people per car on average. How many of these 500 would be new supporters, thus increasing our crowd and requiring an extension to the ground?

Doesn't add up to me!

• But the ground capacity is just over 9,000 and our average crowds are nowhere near that figure, plus the capacity was set by the local authorities because there is only one access road and a new road would obviously solve that problem.