Skip to content

Cressex Filling Station Thread

Surely about time we had a thread for sightings ?

Comments

• Facebook group rumour - Tom Pope

• No chance

• Wikipedia suggests he is currently in contract talks with Doncaster. Sounds a bit more likely, although someone posted an article from a little while back on Facebook today where he says Ainsworth is one of his favourite people in football.

• that would be great if that were true .... bill stickers ...

• About as likely as signing Pope John Paul 2 as goalkeeping cover.

• @Chris said:
    About as likely as signing Pope John Paul 2 as goalkeeping cover

He was great with crosses .

• Oh dear. You could have just bought yourself a ticket to a very hot place Morris.

• He's got a magic car too, that turns people religious - it's got a Catholic converter

• I personally blame the roadworks in Cressex for the lack of signings. Clearly affecting how fast people can get to the filling station.

• @StrongestTeam said:
    Cassucks

I don't know who Cass is but I'd like to meet her

• What I've never been able to work out is whether this refers to either of the two stations on Marlow Road/Desborough Avenue in the traditional centre of Cressex, or the Booker Turnpike on Cressex Road. If so, Gareth Bale was spotted at the Shell on Desborough Avenue asking the girl in the kiosk if there were any local teams that he could get a run out with, but Carlos Lopez was spotted at Booker Turnpike calling the RAC out to sort out his petrol-engined Datsun Cherry that he accidentally poured 30 litres of diesel into.

• Saw Dr Leg from 'stenders up at Cressex filling station once......

• @Ozzie_the_Relaxed Never signed for us though did he!

• This was a few years ago and don't think he'd be to sprightly down the wing....

• I think that technically the esso at turnpike is in booker. so it must be the other ones.. or it could be asda?

• I always thought it related to the one at The Turnpike. You've got me thinking now.

• I always thought it was the now Tescoefied one opposite the Hour Glass. I saw Wayne Rooney coming out of there chowing down on a Mexican Three Bean wrap earlier today.

• I've always pictured the one at The Turnpike, but i guess that's not really Cressex is it?

• I've always imagined it was the double stations at the top of Desborough Avenue and round from the High School.
    I nice saw Jeremy Beadle there buying petrol and not pranking anyone.

• I always pictured the one at the Turnpike. Guess it's just we picture our route from the M40 direct to AP.

• I don't know what this is all about. The Turnpike isn't Cressex but Booker as already pointed out. Either of the ones at Cressex (Esso or Shell) can be observed from one vantage point which is an advantage whilst looking out for any passing footballers. Good luck.

• Gaz & the Chairman have informed all prospective signings & their agents that, to avoid social media gossip, they should fuel up before arriving in Wycombe and that as ice-cream will be provided by the club there is no need to stop between the Handycross junction and the ground for bag-snacks

• @wingnut I am sure all the years and my memories It had the name and address on the canopy as Cressex filling station.

• Sorry, I can't remember that. All the local filling stations have been rebuilt several times and what they were originally escapes me. Filling stations as we have now, were not that common. You usually filled up at a garage with someone manning the pump.

• @M3G My memory just about stretches back to the dying embers of the 80s, I'm 99% sure the Esso at Booker had 'Turnpike' on the front of the kiosk back then. If it did brand itself as 'Cressex Filling Station', it wouldn't have been in the past 25 years!

• Interesting debate, I too associated past threads in the old gasroom about Cressex Filling Station with the Turnpike and always called the other two "the top of Desborough"..... This current debate is making me challenge all of my previously held beliefs.....

• The official Esso website giving their locations says:-
    TURNPIKE SERVICE STATION
    246 NEW ROAD
    HP12 4RG BOOKER
    UNITED KINGDOM
    That seems pretty conclusive.
    I suppose it depends on how long you have had to get place names firmly entrenched. It's too late to change my perception (unfortunately)

• Yep that's the one right next to the bookies so they can get a bet on

• This has been a pleasingly esoteric thread.

• The old gasroom would have been proud of any thread that discusses petrol stations and incorporates the south Wycombe pastime of 'is it in Booker, Cressex or Castlefield?' debates.