Skip to content

Comments

• As expected and on the date expected. Let’s hope it’s the main squad and not an U21 team. Cardiff are due to announce a pre season tour soon.

• Question is will we get to see all/most of our current squad playing or will it be made up of different trialists and cameos?

• Really hope he and his family have a great day. Could tell when we played them in the Championship how much Cardiff means to him and his Dad.

Gutted I won’t be able to make. Is there likely to be an opportunity to donate at future events? Not sure whether should buy a ticket anyway or not.

• I think with it being a week before the season starts, it'll be a fairly competitive friendly. Don't think either side will go too much with trialists and youngsters with it in all liklehood being the final pre season game for both teams.

Sadly I can't make it either. I hope there's future events.

• Rather depends on how many signings we make and when.

• edited June 2023

Really wish it'd be a proper old school testimonial with beloved old players featuring.

But a week before the season with no other home friendlies there's not a chance of that.

Hopefully gets a decent wad for him.

• Another email from the club today to promote JJ's upcoming testimonial, summer stadium tours and new kit.

However, the total radio silence on the subject of the Season Launch Party - supposedly on 8th July - is utterly baffling. I'd like to attend and bring others (grand- children) if possible. But so far the club have provided no details other than a request to "Save the Date".

At this rate they are seriously at risk of being told to stuff the date and can I have my refund please.

• What details are you after friend?

Just keep 10am to 10pm free on that date.

• I suspect it will be on July 8th @Twizz and things will be organised. I hope to be proved right.

• Will there be chips & are the toilets refurbished? Important considerations with 3 grandkids involved.

• I've bought my ticket for the testimonial game, and it was surprisingly cheap - only £15 for a decent seat in the FA stand, near the half way line, for Seniors.

At that rate, they're not going to generate a massive payout for JJ after deducting the running costs, and Cardiff's expenses.

• Are we certain JJ will get all of the proceeds? Seems a bit old fashioned to me. I would imagine a more likely scenario is that JJ gets c5-10% of the gate revenue.

• Traditionally they get the net revenue for the game tax free don’t they?

• Yeah, there's some weirdly specific law around testimonials.

• I don’t have the greatest affection for Cardiff City. In the away section at their ground some years ago now, our support was bombarded with coins, bottles, bags of pee, and we even had a net above us to try to improve things. Absolute vile abuse from the their section by an adjoining fence. By far the worst bunch of shimmering apes I can recall at an away ground.

• Yeah, they are one of the most notorious fan bases - up there with the likes of Millwall and Stoke.

• Bags of pee must be incredibly difficult to organise. Unpleasant, to say the least. The terrace waterfalls at Ibrox and Hampden Park must have been bad enough but at least it only affected your feet.

Happy days!

• Underfoot pee in the Frank Adams used to be an in convenience inconvenience. At least it was stationary. For the most part.

• edited June 2023

Am I the only one underwhelmed by the prospect of Cardiff coming to AP? JJ’s home club etc but not big time. Contrast with Matt B having Chelsea and the Special One for his pre season. Would have expected a bigger attraction (QPR would have held more interest obvs).

• Totally agree, I have no interest in Cardiff City, and as I've said before, Wrexham would have been a more attractive fixture, and if it was QPR at least their travelling costs would have been less.

However, I'm interested to see what kind of team we put out, and which new signings we may have acquired by then. And of course, whether we can show an attacking style that produces many goal scoring opportunities, A 4-0 win for Wycombe will set us up nicely for the season.

• Nope - it's pretty rubbish. But I guess attracting a Prem club for a testimonial is tricky these days.

• But it'll be worth it when Bayo and friends get a run-out (I hope!).

• You all might be fed up with it... but JJ isn't !! It's his club and town, maybe you could just all be happy for him ?

• Totally agree, but thought I was in the minority as everyone seemed to think Cardiff was an exciting one!

Brilliant for JJ perhaps, but no sort of draw for anyone beyond the hardcore.

• I made a post saying I really hoped it'd be an old school testimonial with old favourites turning up.

But you suspect as it's our only proper friendly it won't be anything like it.

• The club will obviously be doing a lot behind closed doors where ‘the less reported the better’. Just bizarre to think otherwise. Friendlies won’t exactly add to the bank balance either

• We've got Aldershot away, so that's at least one more

• I did enjoy that particular conspiracy theory behind our slow start last season

• But nothing really to challenge or test us ahead of the season.

In the last few seasons, we have played a number behind closed doors and on thd road against unknown semi-pro teams with teams mainly made up of trialists. This has a knock on effect in the league as we always look very sluggish / not match fit. Dropping points early in the year costs us later on.