Skip to content

Rumour Mill

Comments

• The only positive to Boyes leaving early is that it makes it much more difficult for us to return to a back five, given of the remaining options - Leahy, JJ, Kane Young and Grimmer, none are natural left wing backs.

• Found a report online that he had returned but damned if I can find it again to post the link 🤦🤦🤦

• Think I’ve got it - Found it on a site call flashscore - under players name and then under transfers.

It notes - returned to Sheff Utd on 31/12/23.

• Boyes looked a cut above pre-season. It’s a real shame if he’s returned already.

• edited January 8

I'm hoping that's a mistake on Flashscore's part. He could have been recalled, but it was a season-long loan. Seeing as the club haven't announced otherwise, I'd say he's still here.

• All their (Flashscore) news are links to other media outlets. I'm certain there isn't any actually journalism going on.

So until I see it confirmed by the club I'm going to dump the information straight into the unfounded rumour pile.

• He was getting games and plenty of experience (for good or ill!) and we still need a left back so I would be surprised if he's gone back myself. But this is football, the only certainties are two downvotes for this post.

• It'll be a syndication kind of deal that most of the major score apps have. I imagine player profiles etc are semi-auromated and it's just an error. He's done well for us but not torn it up to the point Sheff Utd would want him back or to give him a Champ loan.

• I’d be genuinely surprised if Boyes has gone. Likewise for Taylor actually, given that it’s on record that we tried to get him all summer with no joy.

• edited January 8

A post from the Sheffield United forum. They seem to think he is coming back to them.

• I like Boyes and hope he is still here, but there isn't a chance he's ready for PL football.

• Looks like they are a tad light at LB/LWB, but I agree he's nowhere near ready for the Prem.

• Well, that’s all a bit inconclusive. I’m not concerned either way about Harry Boyes, mainly I suppose because we’ve managed quite well in his absence. Also, Sadlier has performed increasingly well on the left flank in the current formation, getting into the opposition box slightly more frequently than Boyes.

Cue his return to the starting eleven on Saturday to torment the club where he was on loan last season.

Here’s hoping we hear positive news soon about one or two of the attacking youngsters we were rumoured to be competing for a week or two ago.

Isn’t it difficult trying to be patient.

• I wouldn't be surprised if we've released Lyle Taylor, or that his contract expired at the end of December.

I'd be very surprised if Boyes had been recalled and neither we or Sheffield United mentioned it.

• Not a chance Boyes is ready for Championship football - let alone Premier League. I’ll be flabbergasted if he is recalled. It would signify Sheff Utd giving up hope of staying up. Far more likely he’s just got a knock, surely.

• Harry Boyes spent the first half of last season on a season-long loan with Forest Green Rovers.

He was recalled by Sheffield United in January and spent the second half of the season on loan with Lincoln City. He played in the 2-0 win at Adams Park in April 2023.

It is entirely possible he has been recalled again with a view to another loan, possibly with a Championship club this January.

• When Boyes was played in a proper back five he looked like a threat going forward, as was KVY in the other wingback role. It was when we started with a flat back five that he looked at best confused and was neither crossing the halfway nor defending or that well. But lets face it that 3 month period no one looked good.

• What happened to the rumours regarding Ronan Curtis? One twitter user (who I think is one of the lead presenters on the Heroes of HP12 podcast) was adamant that he was signing?

• boyes going back screams to me, blooms is happy with the options he has at lb and looking use the budget to loan/buy players for the final third 😉

• Joe Taylor (linked to us on this thread) signing for Lincoln.

• Just a suggestion and based on nothing but Joe Taylor has been recalled to Luton after scoring 12 goals from 25-odd games this season for Colchester, could he be an option (depending on how Kone settles in and if Mellor/De Barr are moved on)?

• That post must have taken a very long time to type.

• @bluntphil are you able to confirm if Lyle Taylor and Harry Boyes have now left our club please? Such information is pretty harmless and something WWFC supporters would love to know.

Phil, I am asking you as you are a true supporter and a gentleman and I know you will tell us if at all possible.

• If you can’t as a result of club policy then fine. I have no intention of getting you to tell us something you should not as an employee of the club etc.

• Like many we get frustrated at the flow of information. Some of it I get, some I really don't. Breckin had said goodbye on Instagram before that was announced, and lets face it he wasn't even on the bench so not really giving the opposition much of a competitive edge knowing or not know that.

• Breckin and even Taylor leaving feel fairly expected and minor affairs.

But Boyes, who was a regular starter in the main leaving and no word on it a week or more later does seem odd.